CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3889944-anyone-eyeballing-a-grand-sport.html)

Greg00Coupe 10-11-2016 10:32 PM

Anyone eyeballing a Grand Sport?

I don't know why I even stop at a dealer but I am eying a new GS and trading my 16 Z in on it. Z was 91K and I picked it up for 83. Looks like at 8K miles I can get $75K IF I put on new tires. Unfortunately a front tire is showing the threads on the inside, I just did not catch the wear.

I'm thinking loosing 8K with all the discounts going on is decent. GS is MSRP around 73.

I know the GS is 200 HP short of the Z but to be honest I wont use the 450HP with the GS and I run a few track days a year. 650 is way more than I need in my daily commute. Z is black and I just am tired of fighting it to keep it clean.

I had a 14 Z51 and it was a fun car. I think the GS for me will be a nice balance. Z looks with less mechanical complications.

Glad I had the Z but it will never be worth more money than it is today.

spearfish25 10-11-2016 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe

Neither will the grand sport. Why would you trade down at a cost to yourself? Makes no sense to me. If you hate the black color, spend some money on a wrap instead.

TRANS DAMM 10-11-2016 11:08 PM

Seems like a "grass is always greener" scenario. No way would I trade backwards. Like the other poster said get it wrapped or get it paint corrected and paint protection over it.

ChrisN123 10-11-2016 11:11 PM

I want a "Grand Sport" button on the Z06 that limits and smoothes out the power and doesn't overheat. Not joking.

Doc750 10-11-2016 11:16 PM

wrap your current Z and rip out the s/c = new GS.

23/C8Z 10-11-2016 11:26 PM

sorry, this is nuts. I passed up on a GS with tons of options to "squeak" into a 1LZ. In the hierarchy the Z is the top until the ZR shows up. it's a supercar. the GS is nice but it's a Z WITH LESS POWER. just don't put your foot down so far lol save your money.

VictorBarron 10-11-2016 11:36 PM

Let's face it the GS is a PRETENDER. How anyone could take a step backwards is beyond me. The Z is the apex predator in the C7 lineup.

:thumbs:

3 Z06ZR1 10-12-2016 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe (Post 1593236507)
I don't know why I even stop at a dealer but I am eying a new GS and trading my 16 Z in on it. Z was 91K and I picked it up for 83. Looks like at 8K miles I can get $75K IF I put on new tires. Unfortunately a front tire is showing the threads on the inside, I just did not catch the wear.

I'm thinking loosing 8K with all the discounts going on is decent. GS is MSRP around 73.

I know the GS is 200 HP short of the Z but to be honest I wont use the 450HP with the GS and I run a few track days a year. 650 is way more than I need in my daily commute. Z is black and I just am tired of fighting it to keep it clean.

I had a 14 Z51 and it was a fun car. I think the GS for me will be a nice balance. Z looks with less mechanical complications.

Tossing money out the window all for a lessor car. Get your black car detailed and coated. Black can become much easier!

3 Z06ZR1 10-12-2016 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisN123 (Post 1593236740)
I want a "Grand Sport" button on the Z06 that limits and smoothes out the power and doesn't overheat. Not joking.

Go easy on the gas is the answer. Grand sport button ?:lol:
Too much power? HUMBUG!

Mordeth 10-12-2016 12:27 AM

Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

You can't go wrong either way!

ChrisN123 10-12-2016 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1593237099)
Go easy on the gas is the answer. Grand sport button ?:lol:
Too much power? HUMBUG!

I didn't say i would press it all the time!

skipperC7 10-12-2016 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mordeth (Post 1593237139)
Hey Greg. Not sure if you are soliciting opinions or not. The best answer is to do what makes you happy. I have two Z06s, but I love all Corvettes, and the GS is a real looker. I was in a showroom the other day with a friend who was in the process of buying a used C6 and there was about 10 new GS cars all lined up. It was a stunning display and very impressive. The GS is an awesome car and anyone who owns one should be proud of it...I know I would.

If it makes you happy, then go for it brother! This is a very personal decision of yours, and what others say here (including me) isn't of much value. But for what it is worth, I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with...."downgrade" or otherwise. I do however think most here in the Z06 forum would not do what you are contemplating, as the Z06 is a purpose built and purpose bought car. I know I wouldn't do it, as I do care about what is under the hood...but that doesn't mean you should or need to.

On a side note, I never understood why anyone would put down any Corvette. I love them all. I have a very close friend who could never afford a Z06, but he just recently bought a base model C6 1LT. He has lusted after a Corvette for many years and I sometimes feel bad because I always have Corvettes in my garage. He works hard and literally saved every penny for 5 years just to afford an "older" model base C6. He actually started bringing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work just to save $5/day on lunch! He is so proud and happy with the "little" LS2. He knows it isn't a Z06, just like a GS owner knows theirs isn't either. People are not dumb animals. They buy what they can afford and what suits their purpose. My friend was embarrassed to line his car up against one of mine, but I lavished it with honest praise and admiration. It is a beautiful piece of work and I told him I loved it, to never sell it (or at least give me first dibs) and to bring it over every chance he gets so I can look at it. I even begged him to drive it. He asked me "Why would you want to drive my lowly base C6 when you have two 700hp Z06s?" I told him his car was more docile, has a super clean, honest look and that I was a tad jealous of it, so please let me drive it or at least sit in the driver seat!!! It was the truth. He was so proud and happy.

If you do this, you are not "downgrading", and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The GS is a fine automobile and perhaps suits your needs better. Plus, if it makes you happy (for now), and you can afford it, then why the hell not? And if money is no object (or at least this won't break the bank), then why would anyone not get what they want? I personally would love to see pics of your current car, and if you trade for the GS please do post pics of that one too!

Very nice post and outlook! I share your sentiment!:cheers:

Get what makes you, and YOU ALONE happy.

angryBits 10-12-2016 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by VictorBarron (Post 1593236888)
Let's face it the GS is a PRETENDER. How anyone could take a step backwards is beyond me. The Z is the apex predator in the C7 lineup.

:thumbs:

This is old information carried over from the C6 Grand Sport.

The C7 Grand Sport is every bit an Apex Predator as the Z06, read this: 2017 Grand Sport

So lets not call the GS a Pretender/Fake/Wannabe Z06, its not.
The GS is an NA Z06

It has all the suspension bits, brakes, tires, chassis, everything.
And for some of us, lighter and no supercharger quirks.
(I live in CA where we only get 91 octane and superchargers choke)

:flag:

Stripeknight 10-12-2016 02:51 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Lose money for an inferior vehicle....

This has got to be a troll thread...

2014C7 10-12-2016 07:59 AM

Mordeth for the truth.

Spoken like a sophisticated car person.

All the way the GS is awesome.

I also recently became very lustful for a 13 427 Vert my friend is considering.

What a beautiful C6

And like you I asked him if he bought one could I have first dibs!

Haha the car habit is a disease, but I love it.

That 427 has me drooling now.

Greg00Coupe 10-12-2016 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mordeth (Post 1593237139)

Thanks!!! Excellent post!! Appreciate the time and thought you put into it. Frankly I can't really explain it. Best I can say is I got a 16 and the 17s are out and I dont need all this HP. Each to their own for sure but I saw the admiral blue and fell for it and I know Zs come in that color too.

I've said in other posts before..... The Z is for sure faster then a stingray on the track but the stingray is a blast on the track too! How fast do I need to go? I limit my top end speed anyway.. it would be no fun to have an incident at 150 160..... and if you are not on the track there is just no public street you can exercise these cars.

Not to step on any toes but to me it comes down to ego and I got one because if I did not I'd be driving a Cruze. Its just how much ones ego costs them!!! When you go to a car show and your car is parked there what does HP mean when there are a variety of Corvettes there?

And this is not a problem......... a billion people dont have water to drink in the world and this is my challenge for this week! I need to go slap myself.........pinching leaves marks!!! Thanks for the opinions. Did not think of the wrap.

funz06 10-12-2016 08:23 AM

Mordeth,

One of the best posts I have ever read. Your neighbor has a great friend in you.

2014C7,

The 2013 427 is a great car---traded in a yellow one for my Z06. Loved that car---wish I had the money to keep it. Only about 2550 made, and about 90 in yellow. I honestly believe they will become collector's cars-------60th anniversary car; limited production; last of the C6's; the 1st corvette convertible with 500+ horse power; the largest naturally aspirated engine (505 hp) convertible corvette may ever make.............plus, it is just one great car---best of the C6 convertibles.

Gregg---OP,

Mordeth said it all, and better than most could. Best of luck whichever way you go...........a friend just got a black C7 wrapped with Xpel----it does look good!

Z0HS1CK 10-12-2016 08:35 AM

I almost bought the GS but i'm actually glad it didn't work out for me.

The GS is awesome, it's like a blue belt in karate. Still good, still can perform, it's just not at the elite level where as the Z is of course the black belt.

Since you had the Z, you're commenting from a different perspective and i applaud you for making the decision.

I know most guys who get the Z will never bring the potential out of the car. They probably won't ever see a track. And you'd be right. I won't ever track my Z, i bought it to have fun with it on the street, on the occasional drive on the weekends etc.

But i knew if i have gotten the GS i would be disappointed just for the mere fact it's a lot slower. If you're street driving the car a lot, trust me you want that power. If you're gonna track the car then yes the GS would probably be better.

And yes black is the worst color lol. I had a black altima before and that was my last black car, 10 years ago.

The C7 looks amazing in white. I love my AW Z.

pkincy 10-12-2016 09:02 AM

Frankly, if you are just commuting in the car, the GS likely would be a better car. Same chassis, motor should be more reliable given the lack of supercharger, slightly lighter, less explosive power but still more power than any sane person ever needs. So get the Admiral Blue GS. With White Stripe? I certainly like them and the wheels are easier to clean.

My 01 Z was black. My 05 M3 was black. Never ever again!

z06clif 10-12-2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by spearfish25 (Post 1593236569)
Neither will the grand sport. Why would you trade down at a cost to yourself? Makes no sense to me. If you hate the black color, spend some money on a wrap instead.

:iagree: makes sense to me

Clif