CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Loose Steering (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3896580-loose-steering.html)

Ken74Conv 10-26-2016 08:03 PM

Loose Steering

I have a '74 sb Conv. I'm thinking of either a Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.
Any advice would be appreciated.

doorgunner 10-26-2016 08:18 PM

My '68 manual steering box had lots of slack....I bought a Corvette repair book for my specific year.....repaired it with a new grease seal/new grease....and adjusted it per instructions.....works perfectly now!

Do you have problems with it or just want to do an upgrade?

'75 10-26-2016 09:34 PM

I went with the Jeep box, never going back!

Easy Mike 10-27-2016 07:00 AM

I agree with Doorgunner. Have you considered keeping what you have and rebuilding it?
:thumbs:

74Ken 10-27-2016 02:57 PM

I went with Steeroids Rack and Pinion.
Tried adjusting the steering box and then the control valve started leaking for the second time, that was enough for me. Now there are no leaks coming from the steering at all.
Ken

Ken74Conv 10-27-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by doorgunner (Post 1593337353)
My '68 manual steering box had lots of slack....I bought a Corvette repair book for my specific year.....repaired it with a new grease seal/new grease....and adjusted it per instructions.....works perfectly now!

Do you have problems with it or just want to do an upgrade?

I completely rebuilt the front end and eventially replaced the steering box with a rebuilt from Van Steel. I adjusted on it several times and I'm still not happy. I think I need an upgrade. i'm hoping someone can steer me toward either the Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.

mrvette 10-27-2016 04:49 PM

I did my own rack conversion winter of 01-02, before any kits were around......'89 Grand Am rack was fresh/new from junkyard when I bought it....got an adapter block welded up for the stock type tie rod ends.....also got a bunch of steering joints from same yard...and so matched up what I needed.....2.7 turns lock to lock, and drives well.....of course I had to fab up my own rack mounts, a easy job really, my welder buddy did the fab work...took two attempts to get the driver side right....

7T1vette 10-28-2016 08:22 AM

You need to determine what components in the steering system are causing the 'slop' before you start buying stuff. It could be wear in the steering box....or it could be the ragjoint, idler arm, steering links, ball joints, A-arm bushings.....

If you can't assess these parts, take the car to a REPUTABLE alignment place and commission them to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Ken74Conv 10-30-2016 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1593347010)
You need to determine what components in the steering system are causing the 'slop' before you start buying stuff. It could be wear in the steering box....or it could be the ragjoint, idler arm, steering links, ball joints, A-arm bushings.....

If you can't assess these parts, take the car to a REPUTABLE alignment place and commission them to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced.

As I said in post #6 I have rebuilt the front end including a rebuilt steering box from Van Steel. Everything is new including the rag joint.

mrvette 10-31-2016 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ken74Conv (Post 1593362339)
As I said in post #6 I have rebuilt the front end including a rebuilt steering box from Van Steel. Everything is new including the rag joint.

I assume you have had the alignment done, then.....so to go with the Borgeson, same thing, and you shouldn't have to align it again.....

I would HOPE......

Had I known about the Jeep box back then in 01, I would have gone that route......but the rack is NICE!!!!!

bj1k 11-01-2016 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ken74Conv (Post 1593343372)
I completely rebuilt the front end and eventially replaced the steering box with a rebuilt from Van Steel. I adjusted on it several times and I'm still not happy. I think I need an upgrade. i'm hoping someone can steer me toward either the Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.

If you are a young person used to rack and pinion you will probably never get used to the stock steering in a corvette. Nothing wrong with a properly done system , just different than rack and pinion.

ramair_bryan 11-01-2016 04:09 PM

7t1 has it right.
I remember driving one when they we're brand new. They were very good. And you can repair/adjust it back to that if you want.

After replacing the regular things (the easy things first).
remember that the steering box has that top screw adj. But also the input shaft end play adjustment as well. Between these two, you can save $500 on that box that really isn't better than stock. It's just new.

Lastly, if you do everything....and still have that last 1/2 inch of play at the wheel that drives you nuts. The telescopic steering shaft slides on a 1/4'' keyway . That key is worn. Replace it or just stake it in as I did and be done with it.
Theirs more, but it sounds like your getting good advice from everyone.:cheers: