Sponsored by:

Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loose Steering

I have a '74 sb Conv. I'm thinking of either a Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ken74Conv; 10-26-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

My '68 manual steering box had lots of slack....I bought a Corvette repair book for my specific year.....repaired it with a new grease seal/new grease....and adjusted it per instructions.....works perfectly now!

Do you have problems with it or just want to do an upgrade?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I went with the Jeep box, never going back!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree with Doorgunner. Have you considered keeping what you have and rebuilding it?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-27-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:57 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I went with Steeroids Rack and Pinion.
Tried adjusting the steering box and then the control valve started leaking for the second time, that was enough for me. Now there are no leaks coming from the steering at all.
Ken
Old 10-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
My '68 manual steering box had lots of slack....I bought a Corvette repair book for my specific year.....repaired it with a new grease seal/new grease....and adjusted it per instructions.....works perfectly now!

Do you have problems with it or just want to do an upgrade?
I completely rebuilt the front end and eventially replaced the steering box with a rebuilt from Van Steel. I adjusted on it several times and I'm still not happy. I think I need an upgrade. i'm hoping someone can steer me toward either the Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:49 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did my own rack conversion winter of 01-02, before any kits were around......'89 Grand Am rack was fresh/new from junkyard when I bought it....got an adapter block welded up for the stock type tie rod ends.....also got a bunch of steering joints from same yard...and so matched up what I needed.....2.7 turns lock to lock, and drives well.....of course I had to fab up my own rack mounts, a easy job really, my welder buddy did the fab work...took two attempts to get the driver side right....

Old 10-28-2016, 08:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You need to determine what components in the steering system are causing the 'slop' before you start buying stuff. It could be wear in the steering box....or it could be the ragjoint, idler arm, steering links, ball joints, A-arm bushings.....

If you can't assess these parts, take the car to a REPUTABLE alignment place and commission them to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You need to determine what components in the steering system are causing the 'slop' before you start buying stuff. It could be wear in the steering box....or it could be the ragjoint, idler arm, steering links, ball joints, A-arm bushings.....

If you can't assess these parts, take the car to a REPUTABLE alignment place and commission them to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced.
As I said in post #6 I have rebuilt the front end including a rebuilt steering box from Van Steel. Everything is new including the rag joint.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:02 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken74Conv
As I said in post #6 I have rebuilt the front end including a rebuilt steering box from Van Steel. Everything is new including the rag joint.
I assume you have had the alignment done, then.....so to go with the Borgeson, same thing, and you shouldn't have to align it again.....

I would HOPE......

Had I known about the Jeep box back then in 01, I would have gone that route......but the rack is NICE!!!!!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:17 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken74Conv
I completely rebuilt the front end and eventially replaced the steering box with a rebuilt from Van Steel. I adjusted on it several times and I'm still not happy. I think I need an upgrade. i'm hoping someone can steer me toward either the Jeep box or Rack & Pinion.
If you are a young person used to rack and pinion you will probably never get used to the stock steering in a corvette. Nothing wrong with a properly done system , just different than rack and pinion.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:09 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

7t1 has it right.
I remember driving one when they we're brand new. They were very good. And you can repair/adjust it back to that if you want.

After replacing the regular things (the easy things first).
remember that the steering box has that top screw adj. But also the input shaft end play adjustment as well. Between these two, you can save $500 on that box that really isn't better than stock. It's just new.

Lastly, if you do everything....and still have that last 1/2 inch of play at the wheel that drives you nuts. The telescopic steering shaft slides on a 1/4'' keyway . That key is worn. Replace it or just stake it in as I did and be done with it.
Theirs more, but it sounds like your getting good advice from everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Steering

Quick Reply: Loose Steering