CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Grand Sport Hangs With Porsche GT3 RS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3938670-c7-grand-sport-hangs-with-porsche-gt3-rs.html)

Corvette Forum Editor 02-02-2017 12:19 PM

C7 Grand Sport Hangs With Porsche GT3 RS

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...ndsport-11.jpg

Hot C7 Grand Sport proves Porsche GT3 RS isn’t worth the cash.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

DickieDoo 02-02-2017 12:22 PM

I wouldn't exactly say the Porche isn't worth the money... just look at the build quality thread on this forum... if you said, "based on performance, it isn't worth the money.." that would be more correct.

C7Joy 02-02-2017 12:36 PM

At any rate, well done GS! :thumbs:

leadville1 02-02-2017 01:27 PM

You could also drive the Grand Sport and not feel like it is the end of the world if you crash.

hamr56 02-02-2017 01:43 PM

^^^ Very true!

LT4_CE 02-02-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DickieDoo (Post 1594006100)
I wouldn't exactly say the Porche isn't worth the money... just look at the build quality thread on this forum... if you said, "based on performance, it isn't worth the money.." that would be more correct.

I'd say overall build quality is comparable, unless we're talking about the much (imo) hyped "fit and finish" (or whatever the luxury look and feel is called) of the Porsche. Yes, that's better with the Porsche, but to me that doesn't matter. My $0.2 is that I want a performance car. If I wanted car more concerned with how the inside looks and feels (aka luxury) I'd borrow my wife's BMW.

That being said, I did go for the 2LT package, and I gotta admit, those air cooled seats are going to be nice on a hot summer day... :woohoo:

Michael A 02-02-2017 08:00 PM

Lap times are one thing, but driving dynamics are another. Not saying Porsche is better or worse for driving dynamics, but you can't just look at lap times when comparing cars.

Hats off to the GS for turning a great time, though.

Michael

berk4422 02-02-2017 08:19 PM

I'm not surprised at the side by side result. Coming from a C6 Z51, the C7 GS is an incredibly solid and balanced car with outstanding braking and acceleration. I see why many of the reviews lean towards saying the GS is not exciting - because it is such a capable sports car. When pushing yourself and the car, you don't feel like you're hanging on for dear life because the car has so much more to give than you are willing/able to demand... I'm blown away that for the price point, GM, Chevy and the Corvette team really outdid themselves this time.

BTW: We don't need no stink'n helmet

Kamran 02-02-2017 08:22 PM

Since the RS has a somewhat optimized suspension tuning, and GS mag ride could use the DSC improvements (i.e. GM leaving some on the table), and assuming DSC is good for a mere 1 second, now where are we? ;)

Flex182 02-02-2017 08:26 PM

Gt3 RS has resale over it and that's about it

2cnd Chance 02-02-2017 09:23 PM

I'd love to compare the GT3/RS lap...cause that was some pretty sloppy driving. He was all over the place.

Steve Garrett 02-02-2017 09:33 PM

It's great to see the Grand Sport is hanging well with what is considered the gold standard with the RS.

Flex182 02-02-2017 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1594010371)
It's great to see the Grand Sport is hanging well with what is considered the gold standard with the RS.

:iagree:

leadville1 02-03-2017 09:44 AM

I would say head to head on a track is one thing, but I can also tell you that Porsche nuts would never cross shop an RS and Grand Sport. The RS is for guys with stupid money and want the best Porsche has to offer.

A good 911 driver can extract every ounce from that car, I have done hot laps against GT3's at Road America and I couldn't keep up with them. They are confidence inspiring machines. I have been a track instructor and doing DE's for upwards of 15 years, don't bet against the GT3 RS.

OVR60 02-03-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by leadville1 (Post 1594012741)
I would say head to head on a track is one thing, but I can also tell you that Porsche nuts would never cross shop an RS and Grand Sport. The RS is for guys with stupid money and want the best Porsche has to offer.

A good 911 driver can extract every ounce from that car, I have done hot laps against GT3's at Road America and I couldn't keep up with them. They are confidence inspiring machines. I have been a track instructor and doing DE's for upwards of 15 years, don't bet against the GT3 RS.

Well said and it appears that every comparison ends up how much the Porsche costs and bang for he buck. More Corvette owners should experience what Porsche is all about and the owners loyalty it has created.

2cnd Chance 02-03-2017 04:05 PM

^ Of course price is dependent. It may be really, really good, but that's crazy money for a toy.
I personally have NO qualms with my GS/Z07. Information like this just makes it that much sweeter.

YES it is great bang for the money!

HPT 02-03-2017 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OVR60 (Post 1594013175)
Well said and it appears that every comparison ends up how much the Porsche costs and bang for he buck. More Corvette owners should experience what Porsche is all about and the owners loyalty it has created.

I was in the same camp and even despised Porsches...until I bought one for my girlfriend. Then I bought one for myself because I don't look good in purple. Lap times become irrelevant, and you don't really understand until you drive one.

2cnd Chance 02-03-2017 08:08 PM

The fact that the GS/Z07 runs comparable track times for less than $70K buy price...decide for yourself. https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9fa0ef2da.jpeg

2cnd Chance 02-05-2017 06:18 PM

As a side note

I've checked out some Porsches lately and the orangepeel was much worse than my GS. ;)

golden2husky 02-05-2017 07:47 PM

I wouldn't say the RS is not "worth the cash". There is more to a car than lap times. If you were really loaded, why not have a RS in the stable? It is a better car. At that price differential it sure the hell better be. That said, the C7 is an excellent car and owes an apology to no one. In the past the bang for the buck comment also included accepting some unfortunate compromises and poor materials. Now, with the C7 you still get the bang for the buck, but now you don't have to make apologies for it. An excellent balance between performance, materials, quality, and cost.