CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Radiator: Ron Davis or DeWitts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3951258-radiator-ron-davis-or-dewitts.html)

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 02:45 PM

Radiator: Ron Davis or DeWitts

Ready to purchase a radiator, but trying to decide between these two. I've gone through all of the available threads using the search function, but really haven't come to a conclusion if one is better than the other. It seems more people buy the DeWitts for street driving, but there are very few posts on track use. Going to use a DRM oil cooler, so radiators will not be used for oil temp control.

If you use one of these radiators on the track, what are your coolant temp results?

With the DeWitts radiator, have you really noticed much difference in cooling with the SPAL fan option if installed?

mgarfias 02-28-2017 02:50 PM

I have the Ron Davis. I had to go back to the OE tstat after moving to Oregon as even in the summer the car won't warm up. In phoenix summer stop and go I never saw water temps over 220.

The RD is a piece of art, it was almost a shame to put it in the car where I couldn't see it.

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mgarfias (Post 1594194004)
I have the Ron Davis. I had to go back to the OE tstat after moving to Oregon as even in the summer the car won't warm up. In phoenix summer stop and go I never saw water temps over 220.

The RD is a piece of art, it was almost a shame to put it in the car where I couldn't see it.

I'm really interested in track results, at speed after 25-40min sessions. Have you had your car on the track?

Ludeaem 02-28-2017 03:01 PM

I have a Ron Davis with EOC and to be honest, I keep an eye on oil temps and not water temps. I want to say I am 215 range in a 20 minute session

Larry Myers 02-28-2017 03:23 PM

Can't go wrong with either one.

Bill Dearborn 02-28-2017 03:33 PM

The Ron Davis Radiator with built in EOC is a cooling monster. I first installed mine in my 97 C5 and then installed the unit in my 03Z06.

As others have said my major problem was getting the oil hot enough. On a cool day (mid 40s) the driver side of the radiator would be warm to hot and the passenger side cold. The oil cooler is in the passenger side tank. I ran the stock thermostat and in mid 90s temps the coolant temp would run at 200 deg and the oil temp at 230. All day long no matter whether it was a 20 minute or 40 minute session.

I had the DRM first version which included an adapter from the oil filter mount and a remote oil filter mount. I ran one of the older one quart oil filters in it. With the one quart over fill recommended by GM I had a total of 9 quarts of oil in the engine with that setup.

I don't think there is that much difference in cost between them but even if it is more $$ I recommend the RD. Between the 97 and the 03 I had that radiator mounted in C5s for 8.5 seasons with no issues.

Bill

TKOGTO 02-28-2017 03:47 PM

PM sent

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 03:56 PM

Is anyone actually using the DeWitts radiator on the track?

I'm not really convinced that a combined unit will be enough. Results are all over the board with this. People are claiming they see as low as 230F oil temp while others say they are driving it well into 280's with the combined cooler. Because of this, I'm leaning toward the cautious side and going with a stand alone DRM. However, when it comes to the radiator, there is almost $200 difference between the two. If DeWitts will keep coolant at 225 or less, I'll run with that.

Ludeaem 02-28-2017 04:01 PM

What is your end goal? How many events a year? We talking HPDE? If so as long as oil temps are below 300 that is the general guideline I have been using. Keep in mind there are variants to water (how much coolant) and oil (what grade you're using) and not to mention ambient temp, humidity etc that can effect operating temps.

I can't speak to Dewitt but the two years I've had my RD its been fantastic. Might be worth the plunge if you're unsure.

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ludeaem (Post 1594194465)
What is your end goal? How many events a year? We talking HPDE? If so as long as oil temps are below 300 that is the general guideline I have been using. Keep in mind there are variants to water (how much coolant) and oil (what grade you're using) and not to mention ambient temp, humidity etc that can effect operating temps.

I can't speak to Dewitt but the two years I've had my RD its been fantastic. Might be worth the plunge if you're unsure.

HPDE for short term. Who knows in the future. I'm not comfortable with oil temps over 270.

Ludeaem 02-28-2017 04:12 PM

What oil type/grade are you running?

This year I plan to keep a better eye on oil pressure when the temps get warm for sure but initial oil analysis from Blackstone looked fantastic looked great after a few events with Mobil 0w-40

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ludeaem (Post 1594194529)

This year I plan to keep a better eye on oil pressure when the temps get warm for sure but initial oil analysis from Blackstone looked fantastic looked great after a few events with Mobil 0w-40

I have AMSOIL Premium Performance 10W40 right now. That oil will change depending on the temps and pressures recorded on the track.

ErnieN85 02-28-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5 (Post 1594194436)

I'm not really convinced that a combined unit will be enough. Results are all over the board with this. People are claiming they see as low as 230F oil temp while others say they are driving it well into 280's with the combined cooler. Because of this, I'm leaning toward the cautious side and going with a stand alone DRM. However, when it comes to the radiator, there is almost $200 difference between the two. If DeWitts will keep coolant at 225 or less, I'll run with that.

I have a Dewitts, the EOC is in the left tank so oil cooling isn't as good.
I do run as High as 280 (oil) However Coolant is rarely over 220

mikeCsix 02-28-2017 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5 (Post 1594194436)

I run a DeWitts on the track, I have the EOC/TOC version so there are more demands on it. I'm an advanced/intermediate driver, the engine oil will see 260, the trans at 240, and I don't bother watching the coolant temp. (A-6 transmission). When I get to those temps, I start to back off and let things cool down, it usually takes a lap or two, it depends on ambient air temp.

HTH

NemesisC5 02-28-2017 07:55 PM

For track use keep the oil cooler separate and never look back. Putting extra heat load on main coolant radiator is not best practice unless you're concerned with packaging.

Whis9 02-28-2017 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by NemesisC5 (Post 1594196230)
For track use keep the oil cooler separate and never look back. Putting extra heat load on main coolant radiator is not best practice unless you're concerned with packaging.

:thumbs:

Ron Davis and separate cooler

brkntrxn 02-28-2017 09:09 PM

I run the DeWitts drop-in from Summit and I have a separate engine oil cooler mounted in front of it. It works well enough that it solved my coolant temp issues enough at the 2014 Champs to place second in the heat at Road Atlanta.

Refer to this thread for before and after temperature numbers:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-updates.html

Quickshift_C5 02-28-2017 09:11 PM

Sounds good guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Going with a Ron Davis and a separate DRM oil cooler. Also going to pick up an Improved Racing Thermostatic Adapter or see if DRM can include one in place of the standard block adapter in the kit.

zrtman1 03-01-2017 07:59 AM

I have a Dewitts cutdown (supercharged). HPDE intermediate. 2 weekends ago at Vir was mid 70's temp - coolant was 202. The highest on track i have ever seen is 212 if I remember correctly.

I run a big 72 row oil cooler with remote filter and IR 212 thermostat.

I have personally seen both radiators and my opinion is the dewitt and Rd use very similar cores. RD has fab'd end tanks and dewitt are stamped is the main difference (which means nothing in terms of cooling).

With either radiator I think the key is you need to spend some time sealing up duct work going into radiator to get maximum efficiency.

zrtman1 03-01-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ludeaem (Post 1594194529)

That mobil 0-40 is current at the top of the 'wear list' of oils. Impressive numbers even hot. I have switched over to it from the 5-30. Good blackstone's here too.