CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Japan new C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3990058-japan-new-c5.html)

Dean Exton 05-19-2017 11:38 PM

Japan new C5

Japanese cars do not have tyre sensors or use fob remotes .Any ideas how to put these back in as its a feature I want .Not cool locking car with key .I bought new fobs .followed instructions but my car hasn't got fob retraining as others do or tyre information.Must be deleted option on export to japan cars ?

chris308 05-20-2017 10:14 AM

What year is the car? I believe the 97-00 cars could not have the TPS disabled but the later years could.

Dean Exton 05-20-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by chris308 (Post 1594778270)
What year is the car? I believe the 97-00 cars could not have the TPS disabled but the later years could.

Its a 2001

Dean Exton 05-20-2017 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Exton (Post 1594780298)
Its a 2001

I don't think its disabled .it never had it

Bill Curlee 05-20-2017 09:52 PM

Unless the EXPORT BCM is different,, you should be able to reprogram the BCM with a GM Tech 2 and regain the RPOs that are turned off.

EVIL TWIN was a a GM engineer and may have the proper answer to this question.. My first response would be to try to reproogram the BCM with a TECH 2

Bill

Bill Curlee 05-20-2017 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1594781979)
Assumes that the RFA and its wiring are in place... Do you/we even know that it is?

Good point!!! :yesnod::thumbs:

Dean Exton 05-21-2017 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1594781979)
Assumes that the RFA and its wiring are in place... Do you/we even know that it is?

I have no idea what that is ? but maybe as easy as turning these options on ?

Dean Exton 05-21-2017 12:56 AM

Any one know how to turn these on ?reprogram BCM. All Japanese cars are the same as mine

Dean Exton 05-22-2017 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1594783008)
Remote Function Adapter (RFA) is GM's high class name for the receiver that both the TPMS and remote key less entry (FOB's) transmit to. You would need to know if GM even installed one in the car and then what frequency it was set for. The frequency for the US and Europe are different from one another and I suspect other countries around the globe have their own specific requirements that are possibly different that the US. Since the Japan cars have neither FOB's not TPMS it is very conceivable that there is no RFA installed............... If there is no RFA then it may well be that the 3 wire harness for it is also not installed.

Ohh no.Sounds like a big hassle ,So if I have a RFA were is it?and what's it look like ?all the US cars seem to all work fine here fobs TPMS etc .frequency wise . Just find it strange these cars build in the US,But sent to Japan would not have these features? Shame as these cars are still like new over there top condition and super low miles ,This is why in New Zealand were Importing loads off them

Velocity_Vette 05-22-2017 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Exton (Post 1594788575)
Just find it strange these cars build in the US,But sent to Japan would not have these features?

A slightly weird question but what market stereo is currently in the car?

The reason I ask is that vehicles built in the United States that carry anything with any sort of remote or radio frequency is often excluded or altered for the Japanese market. A prime example is radios. United States' built vehicle stereo head units do not work in Japan, and vise versa, so exported vehicles often have their radios removed and Japanese-market specifics installed once the car is on market in Japan.

One could surmise that the US market RFA would not work properly in Japan and did not have a General Motors Japanese equivalent, hence it's exclusion on a Japanese market C5.

Velocity_Vette 05-22-2017 04:36 PM

That's basically what I was saying; it wasn't questioning it's physical ability to operate.

Dean Exton 05-23-2017 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette (Post 1594790942)
A slightly weird question but what market stereo is currently in the car?

The reason I ask is that vehicles built in the United States that carry anything with any sort of remote or radio frequency is often excluded or altered for the Japanese market. A prime example is radios. United States' built vehicle stereo head units do not work in Japan, and vise versa, so exported vehicles often have their radios removed and Japanese-market specifics installed once the car is on market in Japan.

One could surmise that the US market RFA would not work properly in Japan and did not have a General Motors Japanese equivalent, hence it's exclusion on a Japanese market C5.

It has Factory US stereo system .Dam pain as it all works great except I cant get New Zealand Frequency

LannyL81 05-23-2017 09:01 AM

Yeah the US radio is not going to tune to the New Zealand radio stations and it might not play CDs either. Likely best option here is to get a different radio or since this is probably not the first time a US radio ended-up in New Zealand, there maybe a shop that can reprogram it....worth a search.

Jamie Stewart 04-20-2018 12:17 AM

Kiwi *** C5

Hey Dean how did you get on? I have the same car mate and would dearly love to get the remote central lock going.

Dean Exton 04-21-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie Stewart (Post 1597036549)
Hey Dean how did you get on? I have the same car mate and would dearly love to get the remote central lock going.

Hi Jamie .I gave up .But ill get back to it next summer.Seems our cars are very different to US cars .Im trying to find loom for rear lights ours are way different .Same problem at the front .My spot lights have been removed ,Seems export cars got different spotlights,I bought some US ones .But wiring connectors are different don't fit ,same problem with the rear seems our cars use different bulbs so different wiring connectors.How stupid.

Dean Exton 04-22-2018 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Exton (Post 1597047242)
Hi Jamie .I gave up .But ill get back to it next summer.Seems our cars are very different to US cars .Im trying to find loom for rear lights ours are way different .Same problem at the front .My spot lights have been removed ,Seems export cars got different spotlights,I bought some US ones .But wiring connectors are different don't fit ,same problem with the rear seems our cars use different bulbs so different wiring connectors.How stupid.

I have fitted new tyre sensors have new fobs ,but we have not the option in our system .perhaps its just a matter off finding a place that has one off these tech 2 gm tools and turning back on these options? as long as our cars have these antennas in the boot area .this should work?

GCG 04-22-2018 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Exton (Post 1597048481)
I have fitted new tyre sensors have new fobs ,but we have not the option in our system .perhaps its just a matter off finding a place that has one off these tech 2 gm tools and turning back on these options? as long as our cars have these antennas in the boot area .this should work?

Have you guys verified if the RFA is installed in your cars? Without a solid answer to this question it is just a guessing exercise.

If it is not installed you would also need to verify if the wiring harness and connector that goes into the RFA is there. In case there's no wiring harness, as mentioned above, you would need to run it if you want to continue with this.

If there's no RFA you would need to purchase and install one before trying to program the necessary RPOs in the BCM using a Tech II. Just make sure it's the right one for the TPMS and FOBs you have already purchased.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6e394d0529.jpg

Dean Exton 04-23-2018 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by GCG (Post 1597052254)
Have you guys verified if the RFA is installed in your cars? Without a solid answer to this question it is just a guessing exercise.

If it is not installed you would also need to verify if the wiring harness and connector that goes into the RFA is there. In case there's no wiring harness, as mentioned above, you would need to run it if you want to continue with this.

If there's no RFA you would need to purchase and install one before trying to program the necessary RPOs in the BCM using a Tech II. Just make sure it's the right one for the TPMS and FOBs you have already purchased.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6e394d0529.jpg

I really hope as you say we have these parts , I will pull out the back and have a search when i get a chance.Seems nuts that an export car that gets all the extra specs doesnt get these options

KlasG 04-30-2018 06:39 PM

The japanese export C5:s doesn't have the RFA module, but it
should have the wire harness.
I upgraded my 2000 C5 with a 01-04 RFA module and bought same year FOBs
and TPMS, as they are all cheaper than the earlier ones.
Then you just have to add the module with a tech2, DONE!
If you have an early C5, 97-00 and buy the 01-04 module, you need to
get another plug.
They are sold separately, don't remember where I got mine though.

GCG 04-30-2018 08:26 PM

That's good to know. Having the harness and connector in place definitely make this project more doable.