Japan new C5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan new C5

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Japan new C5

Japanese cars do not have tyre sensors or use fob remotes .Any ideas how to put these back in as its a feature I want .Not cool locking car with key .I bought new fobs .followed instructions but my car hasn't got fob retraining as others do or tyre information.Must be deleted option on export to japan cars ?
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
chris308
CF Senior Member
 
chris308's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Seminole Florida
Posts: 2,199
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

What year is the car? I believe the 97-00 cars could not have the TPS disabled but the later years could.
chris308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,730
Thanked 981 Times in 874 Posts
Default

8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
What year is the car? I believe the 97-00 cars could not have the TPS disabled but the later years could.
Its a 2001
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Exton View Post
Its a 2001
I don't think its disabled .it never had it
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Posts: 28,974
Thanked 723 Times in 596 Posts
Default

Unless the EXPORT BCM is different,, you should be able to reprogram the BCM with a GM Tech 2 and regain the RPOs that are turned off.

EVIL TWIN was a a GM engineer and may have the proper answer to this question.. My first response would be to try to reproogram the BCM with a TECH 2

Bill
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,730
Thanked 981 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee View Post
Unless the EXPORT BCM is different,, you should be able to reprogram the BCM with a GM Tech 2 and regain the RPOs that are turned off.

EVIL TWIN was a a GM engineer and may have the proper answer to this question.. My first response would be to try to reproogram the BCM with a TECH 2

Bill
Assumes that the RFA and its wiring are in place... Do you/we even know that it is?
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Posts: 28,974
Thanked 723 Times in 596 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 View Post
Assumes that the RFA and its wiring are in place... Do you/we even know that it is?
Good point!!!
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM   #9
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 View Post
Assumes that the RFA and its wiring are in place... Do you/we even know that it is?
I have no idea what that is ? but maybe as easy as turning these options on ?
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM   #10
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Any one know how to turn these on ?reprogram BCM. All Japanese cars are the same as mine
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #11
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,730
Thanked 981 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Exton View Post
I have no idea what that is ? but maybe as easy as turning these options on ?
Remote Function Adapter (RFA) is GM's high class name for the receiver that both the TPMS and remote key less entry (FOB's) transmit to. You would need to know if GM even installed one in the car and then what frequency it was set for. The frequency for the US and Europe are different from one another and I suspect other countries around the globe have their own specific requirements that are possibly different that the US. Since the Japan cars have neither FOB's not TPMS it is very conceivable that there is no RFA installed............... If there is no RFA then it may well be that the 3 wire harness for it is also not installed.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #12
Dean Exton
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Stanmore Bay Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 View Post
Remote Function Adapter (RFA) is GM's high class name for the receiver that both the TPMS and remote key less entry (FOB's) transmit to. You would need to know if GM even installed one in the car and then what frequency it was set for. The frequency for the US and Europe are different from one another and I suspect other countries around the globe have their own specific requirements that are possibly different that the US. Since the Japan cars have neither FOB's not TPMS it is very conceivable that there is no RFA installed............... If there is no RFA then it may well be that the 3 wire harness for it is also not installed.
Ohh no.Sounds like a big hassle ,So if I have a RFA were is it?and what's it look like ?all the US cars seem to all work fine here fobs TPMS etc .frequency wise . Just find it strange these cars build in the US,But sent to Japan would not have these features? Shame as these cars are still like new over there top condition and super low miles ,This is why in New Zealand were Importing loads off them
Dean Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #13
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,730
Thanked 981 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Keyless Entry System-01-04.pdf

The consistency of GM in use of terms/acronyms never ceases to amaze me!!! If you pull the codes it is referred to as the RFA as it is in numerous other C5 Documents but in this PDF from GM it is called the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).

Last edited by 8VETTE7; Today at 09:42 AM.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #14
Velocity_Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Velocity_Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Little Rock Arkansas
Posts: 605
Thanked 118 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Exton View Post
Just find it strange these cars build in the US,But sent to Japan would not have these features?
A slightly weird question but what market stereo is currently in the car?

The reason I ask is that vehicles built in the United States that carry anything with any sort of remote or radio frequency is often excluded or altered for the Japanese market. A prime example is radios. United States' built vehicle stereo head units do not work in Japan, and vise versa, so exported vehicles often have their radios removed and Japanese-market specifics installed once the car is on market in Japan.

One could surmise that the US market RFA would not work properly in Japan and did not have a General Motors Japanese equivalent, hence it's exclusion on a Japanese market C5.
Velocity_Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #15
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member
 
8VETTE7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,730
Thanked 981 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette View Post
A slightly weird question but what market stereo is currently in the car?

The reason I ask is that vehicles built in the United States that carry anything with any sort of remote or radio frequency is often excluded or altered for the Japanese market. A prime example is radios. United States' built vehicle stereo head units do not work in Japan, and vise versa, so exported vehicles often have their radios removed and Japanese-market specifics installed once the car is on market in Japan.

One could surmise that the US market RFA would not work properly in Japan and did not have a General Motors Japanese equivalent, hence it's exclusion on a Japanese market C5.


I would suspect it is a case of the US market RFA not being able to meet the frequency standards for Japan more so than not working.

Many countries have regulations that are not the same as those in other countries relative to radio frequencies and therefore prohibit the sale/use of devices that do not meet the countries standards. For example in the US there are certain frequency ranges that are reserved for fire/police/safety and therefore one cannot build or sell electronics for general consumer consumption using those ranges. Perhaps the same in other countries and their standards don't match the US standards. JMHO
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #16
Velocity_Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Velocity_Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Little Rock Arkansas
Posts: 605
Thanked 118 Times in 95 Posts
Default

That's basically what I was saying; it wasn't questioning it's physical ability to operate.
Velocity_Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Japan new C5
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    cannot reprogram FOB? need help Joshua Detwiler C6 Z06 Discussion 8 03-02-2017 08:50 PM
    Front tyre c3_dk C3 General 13 08-24-2016 09:27 AM
    Firestone firehawk indy 500 tyres CORCO1 C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted 4 08-10-2016 09:39 AM
    Tyre Pressure Sensors Tooley64 C5 General 3 11-16-2015 02:08 PM
    New Key FOB - How to Program as #1 c5eddiem C7 General Discussion 17 01-23-2015 11:20 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    What's your question?
    Send