CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4019237-fob-not-detected-new-battery-what-gives.html)

Synacks 07-24-2017 02:23 PM

Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives?

Had some issues recently with the fob not being detected so I bought some replacement batteries and put a new one in hoping it would go back to normal.

The key itself is acting erratically. Sometimes the buttons will work, sometimes they won't.

When turning the car off, it will say "No fob detected, keep running or turn off?" But it allows me to easily start.

Aliquantus 07-24-2017 02:26 PM

Having similar problems, subscribed.

EVRose 07-24-2017 02:30 PM

Have you tried the spare fob to rule out a fob problem or car problem?

Synacks 07-24-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1595210282)
Have you tried the spare fob to rule out a fob problem or car problem?

I will later today for sure.

Icecap 07-24-2017 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aliquantus (Post 1595210247)
Having similar problems, subscribed.

Similar here also. New batteries in all the fobs (2 primary and a spare) which were recently recoded using the long proceedure. They all worked fine but my wife likes to store her purse in the compartment under the waterfall when she drives and she gets the message no fob detected. Mine is always in my pocket so no issues and even my wifes fob works fine if on her person or on the console but as soon as it's behind the seat "no fob detected".

EVRose 07-24-2017 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Icecap (Post 1595212903)

Similar here also. New batteries in all the fobs (2 primary and a spare) which were recently recoded using the long proceedure. They all worked fine but my wife likes to store her purse in the compartment under the waterfall when she drives and she gets the message no fob detected. Mine is always in my pocket so no issues and even my wifes fob works fine if on her person or on the console but as soon as it's behind the seat "no fob detected".

That's normal. The fob is out of receiver range behind the seat.

72GACRZR 07-24-2017 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Synacks (Post 1595210228)
Had some issues recently with the fob not being detected so I bought some replacement batteries and put a new one in hoping it would go back to normal.

The key itself is acting erratically. Sometimes the buttons will work, sometimes they won't.

When turning the car off, it will say "No fob detected, keep running or turn off?" But it allows me to easily start.

There is a thread in the sticky ones under the mega DIY one, here it is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html

There have been many threads on this and some causes are I-phone interference, some brand of batteries have a cross hatched back which does not make good contact and other interference from outside sources like power lines. Also make sure your fob case is fully snapped shut.

dpigguy 07-24-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR (Post 1595213569)
There is a thread in the sticky ones under the mega DIY one, here it is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html

There have been many threads on this and some causes are I-phone interference, some brand of batteries have a cross hatched back which does not make good contact and other interference from outside sources like power lines. Also make sure your fob case is fully snapped shut.

:iagree: the antennas for the fob are located in the mirror/door area and the back in the coupe. And,
not to be flippant, make sure cover on battery was removed before you installed it (don't ask me how I know this :leaving:).

EVRose 07-25-2017 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by dpigguy (Post 1595213656)
:iagree: the antennas for the fob are located in the mirror/door area and the back in the coupe. And,
not to be flippant, make sure cover on battery was removed before you installed it (don't ask me how I know this :leaving:).

The fob receivers for the doors are not in the mirror/door area. They are in the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height.

Landru 07-25-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR (Post 1595213569)

All good suggestions to which I'll add one.
Use a VOM to test a 'new' cell before loading it.
Several instances a 'new FOB battery was weak out of the package due to sitting for long periods before being sold has been reported over the years.

After replacing a FOB cell unknowingly w/ 'bad/weak/dead one is the very last thing one thinks of -- after first going through hell & high water trying to figure out what the problem is because the battery's 'ne'. Right?

Check integrity of new cell, if only to rule a bad one out. :cheers:

EVRose 07-25-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1595217016)
All good suggestions to which I'll add one.
Use a VOM to test a 'new' cell before loading it.
Several instances a 'new FOB battery was weak out of the package due to sitting for long periods before being sold has been reported over the years.

After replacing a FOB cell unknowingly w/ 'bad/weak/dead one is the very last thing one thinks of -- after first going through hell & high water trying to figure out what the problem is because the battery's 'ne'. Right?

Check integrity of new cell, if only to rule a bad one out. :cheers:

:iagree: And this goes for the car battery as well. I always put a charger on it for a few hours before installing it.

Landru 07-25-2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1595217110)
And this goes for the car battery as well. I always put a charger on it for a few hours before installing it.

+1, can't be emphasized enough. :thumbs:

Seems first time Corvette owners compare battery life/performance w/ whatever they drove, before.
Big mistake.
C6 gobbles-up batteries like I do M&Ms, neither lasts very long. :lol:

:cheers:

unixcorn 07-25-2017 02:22 PM

Something not yet mentioned is the slot in the glove box. You can slide your fob in there and that should rule out the fob itself, even if the battery in the fob is completely dead. Once in the slot, you should be able to start the car and when you shut it off, you shouldn't get the "fob not detected" message. Please keep us posted.

owc6 07-25-2017 02:43 PM

The fob battery doesn't even need to be installed to test the glove box slot. :thumbs:

dpigguy 07-25-2017 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1595215664)
The fob receivers for the doors are not in the mirror/door area. They are in the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height.

Thanks. Knew it was in that area. Appreciate the details. :thumbs:

Knob Jockey 07-25-2017 10:29 PM

There is only one receiver and it's part of the RCDLR in the dash above the radio.

The antennas in the B-pillars and trunk 'talk' to a nearby fob.

The antenna in the glove box slot is the one that 'talks' to the fob when starting/stopping.

This has been a source of confusion when trying to troubleshoot fob/door/start/stop issues.

:cheers:

Synacks 07-26-2017 07:45 PM

I just tried both fobs and they act identical. It's basically a 20% chance that clicking a button will do anything. Fob itself seems ruled out because they both work the same.

Putting the fob on top of the dash has much better results of button clicking and start/stopping the car.

The fob batteries are new but they do have a weird non smooth pattern on the back.

The car battery is from November 2015 and I had a checkup recently which passed the battery.

Synacks 07-26-2017 09:00 PM

I think this might be my issue. Going to the store to buy the real deal instead of whatever possible scam Energizer/Amazon is pulling. Look at all of the recent negative reviews.

Synacks 08-02-2017 07:12 PM

Update: fob works perfectly outside the car now. Let's me open the driver door every time. I still get an issue sometimes with it not allowing me to turn on the car or it shuts off and let's me know that the fob isn't detected.

So I started fooling around with the fob and setting it down in different areas in the car. It doesn't like sitting right on top of the fob receiver area, basically right above the fob insert on the dash. It does like the fob sitting on top of the gauge cluster on the dash. This sounds to me like the receiver or antenna on the inside of the car isn't doing a great job of picking up the fob. The antennas for the doors seem to work fine though.

Synacks 08-02-2017 09:33 PM

VIDEO