CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   AFM delete...3 ways (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4052579-afm-delete-3-ways.html)

fatbillybob 10-09-2017 10:00 PM

AFM delete...3 ways

Doing a search on AFM DOD delete I find 3 ways to delete:

1) The most popular is Ranger module. As a racer it is klinda worky for me and I have something else for my OBD2 port.

2) Doug ECS: AFM can be tuned out. We can send you a Diablo In Tune programmer that can take care of that for you without ruining your factory warranty.

3) Livernois mechanical delete gets rid of the DOD lifters and perhaps what joseC5 says about the OEM cam.
"On the Corvette, the camshaft has two different lobe profiles with the lobes for the AFM lifters having "softer" ramps to accelerate/de-accelerate the heavier lifters. GM claims that it doesn't hurt airflow but that makes no sense. If the "softer" ramps don't hinder airflow, then why do they have the other eight lifters with a different profile that opens/closes the valve at a faster rate." JoesC5

Livernois Motorsports Exclusive DOD delete system
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Performance Camshaft
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Cam Phaser Limiter
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Upgraded Valve Springs package

Does anyone have experience with the full mechanical delete of the AFM??? I'm looking at this for a C7 racecar and it sounds like mechanical delete increases reliability.

FYREANT 10-09-2017 10:39 PM

In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..

fatbillybob 10-12-2017 09:45 AM

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????

FYREANT 10-12-2017 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fatbillybob (Post 1595749833)
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????

Not exactly. The AFM is there on auto and manual, but on the auto it is forced on in all modes I believe. In the manual its only on in Eco mode. Its an ECM/BCM configuration that changes this, not hardware. So, it would still need to be tuned to not engage specifically.

fatbillybob 10-12-2017 08:34 PM

nevermind

phantom1 03-14-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by FYREANT (Post 1595733661)
In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..

I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.

KemahGT 03-14-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by phantom1 (Post 1599046099)
I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? Is the stock cam okay with DOD disabled? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.

Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.

phantom1 03-14-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by KemahGT (Post 1599046160)
Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.

Yea, you're probably right, DOD disable sounds too easy. I disconnected the AFM valve from the sensor. I'm going to plug just the valve in, and see if that clears the code.

Thanks

FYREANT 03-14-2019 06:44 PM

that sounds right from what i know. But I don’t know what to modify for that..

FYREANT 03-14-2019 06:48 PM

you don’t need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and I’ll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.

LuisZ51 03-15-2019 09:40 AM

I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?
Is most of this info for the auto cars?

phantom1 03-15-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 (Post 1599048849)
I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?

I cut and removed the AFM valves from my exhaust, and use a straight pipe. That's why I need to either disable AFM, or connect the sensor back. I have the M7. With the M7, just stay out of eco mode. The auto cars are different, they stay in eco mode, unless you drive in manual mode.

phantom1 03-21-2019 05:56 PM

HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners

Originally Posted by FYREANT (Post 1599046235)
you don’t need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and I’ll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.

I decided to disable AFM in the Tune. I purchased 2 additional credits, and followed the instructions on your Thread, HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners. I'm good to go now.

Thanks for your help

vader86 03-21-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 (Post 1599048849)

For an M7, just stay out of Eco, it wont engage.

A8 it will turn on in all modes, unless you are in manual shift position.

Lanny McCauley 02-20-2020 10:31 PM

What about the reliability of the afm components? The lifters and push rods? Are they failing?
if you delete the afm valves in the exhaust system and use hp tuners to clear the codes, does that keep afm from engaging?
Is afm the same as eco mode?
Im a beginner trying to get a grasp on things.

vader86 02-21-2020 10:37 AM

What about the reliability of the afm components? The lifters and push rods? Are they failing? They have for a few folks, not common. Requires a top end rebuild or new motor.
if you delete the afm valves in the exhaust system and use hp tuners to clear the codes, does that keep afm from engaging? No, you have to use the Range device to keep the computer from engaging it, or a tune. If its a stick, just don't go to Eco mode and it never will.
Is afm the same as eco mode? Almost, Eco probably just makes it go to V4 quicker in an A8. But in a stick they are basically identical.

Pacembellum 04-05-2020 05:47 PM

How much weight does deleting AFM save if using the katech cover?

KemahGT 04-05-2020 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pacembellum (Post 1601266650)
How much weight does deleting AFM save if using the katech cover?

That would be a good question for Katech. I doubt very much. 2 lbs maybe would be my guess. They look cool. I’ll spend my play money on stuff that will add power. I can buy a couple of SC pulleys for that.

Pacembellum 04-05-2020 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by KemahGT (Post 1601266768)
That would be a good question for Katech. I doubt very much. 2 lbs maybe would be my guess. They look cool. I’ll spend my play money on stuff that will add power. I can buy a couple of SC pulleys for that.

Hmm, except Most people doing this already have a pulley but I get your drift.

red 1 04-07-2020 08:59 PM

I used the Range device at first and then I stopped using it and bought the Diablo intune to delete DOD AFM, it never goes in to 4 cylinder mode. and there are no check engine lights.