Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM delete...3 ways

Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Default AFM delete...3 ways

Doing a search on AFM DOD delete I find 3 ways to delete:

1) The most popular is Ranger module. As a racer it is klinda worky for me and I have something else for my OBD2 port.

2) Doug ECS: AFM can be tuned out. We can send you a Diablo In Tune programmer that can take care of that for you without ruining your factory warranty.

3) Livernois mechanical delete gets rid of the DOD lifters and perhaps what joseC5 says about the OEM cam.
"On the Corvette, the camshaft has two different lobe profiles with the lobes for the AFM lifters having "softer" ramps to accelerate/de-accelerate the heavier lifters. GM claims that it doesn't hurt airflow but that makes no sense. If the "softer" ramps don't hinder airflow, then why do they have the other eight lifters with a different profile that opens/closes the valve at a faster rate." JoesC5

Livernois Motorsports Exclusive DOD delete system
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Performance Camshaft
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Cam Phaser Limiter
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Upgraded Valve Springs package

Does anyone have experience with the full mechanical delete of the AFM??? I'm looking at this for a C7 racecar and it sounds like mechanical delete increases reliability.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatbillybob For This Useful Post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????
Not exactly. The AFM is there on auto and manual, but on the auto it is forced on in all modes I believe. In the manual its only on in Eco mode. Its an ECM/BCM configuration that changes this, not hardware. So, it would still need to be tuned to not engage specifically.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

nevermind

Last edited by fatbillybob; 10-12-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM
phantom1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..
I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? Is the stock cam okay with DOD disabled? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.

Last edited by phantom1; 03-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM
KemahGT
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantom1 View Post
I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? Is the stock cam okay with DOD disabled? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.
Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to KemahGT For This Useful Post:
phantom1 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM
phantom1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KemahGT View Post
Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.
Yea, you're probably right, DOD disable sounds too easy. I disconnected the AFM valve from the sensor. I'm going to plug just the valve in, and see if that clears the code.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

that sounds right from what i know. But I donít know what to modify for that..
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

you donít need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and Iíll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 PM
phantom1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
you don’t need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and I’ll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.
I'll try disabling DOD first, and if that doesn't work, I'll plug just the sensors in, with the valves disconnected. I can drive it with the sensors connected, and it won't go into V4, as long as I don't put it in eco mode. If neither works, I'll use your method.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by phantom1; 03-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
LuisZ51
CF Senior Member

I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?
Is most of this info for the auto cars?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM
phantom1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 View Post
I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?
Is most of this info for the auto cars?
I cut and removed the AFM valves from my exhaust, and use a straight pipe. That's why I need to either disable AFM, or connect the sensor back. I have the M7. With the M7, just stay out of eco mode. The auto cars are different, they stay in eco mode, unless you drive in manual mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFM delete...3 ways

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: