C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM delete...3 ways

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default AFM delete...3 ways

Doing a search on AFM DOD delete I find 3 ways to delete:

1) The most popular is Ranger module. As a racer it is klinda worky for me and I have something else for my OBD2 port.

2) Doug ECS: AFM can be tuned out. We can send you a Diablo In Tune programmer that can take care of that for you without ruining your factory warranty.

3) Livernois mechanical delete gets rid of the DOD lifters and perhaps what joseC5 says about the OEM cam.
"On the Corvette, the camshaft has two different lobe profiles with the lobes for the AFM lifters having "softer" ramps to accelerate/de-accelerate the heavier lifters. GM claims that it doesn't hurt airflow but that makes no sense. If the "softer" ramps don't hinder airflow, then why do they have the other eight lifters with a different profile that opens/closes the valve at a faster rate." JoesC5

Livernois Motorsports Exclusive DOD delete system
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Performance Camshaft
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Cam Phaser Limiter
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Upgraded Valve Springs package

Does anyone have experience with the full mechanical delete of the AFM??? I'm looking at this for a C7 racecar and it sounds like mechanical delete increases reliability.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

(read 5th paragraph up from dimensions table)

This press release says the "manual" gearbox Camaro with v8 does not have AFM. This means GM has an LT1 engine componants stock to delete the AFM/DOD. Why don't people talk about an AFM delete with reliable OEM parts used in the manual gearbox camaro LT1 motors????
Not exactly. The AFM is there on auto and manual, but on the auto it is forced on in all modes I believe. In the manual its only on in Eco mode. Its an ECM/BCM configuration that changes this, not hardware. So, it would still need to be tuned to not engage specifically.
Avanti (01-24-2021)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

nevermind

Last edited by fatbillybob; 10-12-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
In order to truly delete DOD, you'll want to install a non DOD cam, non DOD lifters, plug the DOD towers, and also turn it off in the tune. I did this when I rebuilt my motor..
I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.

Last edited by phantom1; 03-21-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom1
I did a muffler mod on my C7 M7 and removed the AFM from the axle back pipe. If I disable DOD in the tune, will I need to do anything else? Is the stock cam okay with DOD disabled? I'm changing the lifters later when I do the heads.
Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.
phantom1 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KemahGT
Dont quote me, but, I believe you will still get a CEL. Check with the guys that track. I also think they there is a way to get the ECM to ignore the missing valves in HPTuners. However, it may take more credits. Chassis ECM I think.
Yea, you're probably right, DOD disable sounds too easy. I disconnected the AFM valve from the sensor. I'm going to plug just the valve in, and see if that clears the code.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

that sounds right from what i know. But I don’t know what to modify for that..
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

you don’t need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and I’ll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by FYREANT:
big454blockchevy (11-01-2022), Drkhrse (01-27-2021)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?
Is most of this info for the auto cars?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
I'm a bit confused here. Does it need to be deleted on an M7 or just stay out of Eco mode? I'm about to install my SC soon. Would turning it off in the tune be sufficient?
I cut and removed the AFM valves from my exhaust, and use a straight pipe. That's why I need to either disable AFM, or connect the sensor back. I have the M7. With the M7, just stay out of eco mode. The auto cars are different, they stay in eco mode, unless you drive in manual mode.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Default HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners

Originally Posted by FYREANT
you don’t need to disable DoD entirely. You just need to set the AFM exhaust valves to not alert to a problem condition. This can be done by tuning the C304 module in HPT and requires two separate credits to do. If you need to know how to do that Pm me and I’ll send you the link to the guide I wrote on it.
I decided to disable AFM in the Tune. I purchased 2 additional credits, and followed the instructions on your Thread, HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners. I'm good to go now.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by phantom1; 03-21-2019 at 05:57 PM.
FYREANT (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
For an M7, just stay out of Eco, it wont engage.

A8 it will turn on in all modes, unless you are in manual shift position.

Last edited by vader86; 03-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Lanny McCauley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the reliability of the afm components? The lifters and push rods? Are they failing?
if you delete the afm valves in the exhaust system and use hp tuners to clear the codes, does that keep afm from engaging?
Is afm the same as eco mode?
Im a beginner trying to get a grasp on things.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

What about the reliability of the afm components? The lifters and push rods? Are they failing? They have for a few folks, not common. Requires a top end rebuild or new motor.
if you delete the afm valves in the exhaust system and use hp tuners to clear the codes, does that keep afm from engaging? No, you have to use the Range device to keep the computer from engaging it, or a tune. If its a stick, just don't go to Eco mode and it never will.
Is afm the same as eco mode? Almost, Eco probably just makes it go to V4 quicker in an A8. But in a stick they are basically identical.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

How much weight does deleting AFM save if using the katech cover?

Get notified of new replies

To AFM delete...3 ways

Old 04-05-2020, 06:11 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
How much weight does deleting AFM save if using the katech cover?
That would be a good question for Katech. I doubt very much. 2 lbs maybe would be my guess. They look cool. I’ll spend my play money on stuff that will add power. I can buy a couple of SC pulleys for that.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

That would be a good question for Katech. I doubt very much. 2 lbs maybe would be my guess. They look cool. I’ll spend my play money on stuff that will add power. I can buy a couple of SC pulleys for that.
Hmm, except Most people doing this already have a pulley but I get your drift.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:59 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

I used the Range device at first and then I stopped using it and bought the Diablo intune to delete DOD AFM, it never goes in to 4 cylinder mode. and there are no check engine lights.
Bernie2001 (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: AFM delete...3 ways