CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Do you think the ZR1 wing will retrofit? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4066082-do-you-think-the-zr1-wing-will-retrofit.html)

LT1 Z51 11-13-2017 12:20 PM

Do you think the ZR1 wing will retrofit?

New ZR1 wing, (both small and large) will they attach to other corvettes)

So I don't know much about the part yet as I don't know what its part number is, but it looks like that it is attached to a "lower wing" which looks like a mini Z51 spoiler.

The question is, how much further down does it go, and could one remove a Z51/Z06 spoiler and attach it.

Granted I don't need the down force, and the wing has to be ridiculously expensive, but I like the look of the smaller wing.

sTz 11-13-2017 12:27 PM

I read somewhere that the larger wing is anchored to the sub-frame for stability... I would think that the smaller spoiler would simply bolt-on like the others. Nonetheless, I suspect that both could be retrofitted.

RipcordZ51 11-13-2017 12:27 PM

I believe the wings (small and large) are integrated into the frame,

LT1 Z51 11-13-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RipcordZ51 (Post 1595960575)
I believe the wings (small and large) are integrated into the frame,

They would have to have attachment points, one would think they are added. But maybe there are some supports that would be missing.

Now, those would be for actual down force, I'm wondering if you just wanted it as a cosmetic would it support.

rrsperry 11-13-2017 01:17 PM

Supports or not, somebody will bolt on a shopping cart wing. Maybe something from JC Whitney, or Pep Boys? lol

mschuyler 11-13-2017 01:18 PM

One of the videos discussed this. If it were just attached to the lid it would warp the lid with 1000 pounds of down force, so the wing is actually attached to the frame, which takes the brunt of the load. Seems to me that would make it more difficult to retrofit. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's much more than a bolt-on project and might take some serious surgery.

Kent1999 11-13-2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sTz (Post 1595960567)
I read somewhere that the larger wing is anchored to the sub-frame for stability... I would think that the smaller spoiler would simply bolt-on like the others. Nonetheless, I suspect that both could be retrofitted.

The larger wing is definitely tied into the frame (bumper support structure I think), and is definitely NOT just surface mounted as are all current C7 spoilers.

The question is -- did GM in any way mod the C7 frame's bumper support on 2019's to accept the ZR1 big wing mounts? I would *guess* not, but we don't know for certain at this point.

rb185afm 11-13-2017 08:00 PM

I'm hoping they offer a kit with factory mounting options. Meaning if I take my bumper off, they can supply a mounting bracket that will work with a previous year C7.

LT1 Z51 11-13-2017 08:23 PM

Naw, the small one wouldn't look much bigger than a Z06 "Stage 3" spoiler with the wicker bill attached. We've already seen a few Z51's upgrade to that spoiler.

The high one I think would look a bit odd, but only because it's so exaggerated while the rest of the car wouldn't be,

4thC4at60 11-13-2017 09:24 PM

Can anyone say "Rice?"

LT4CMG 11-13-2017 10:43 PM

Would be interesting to see OP. Initially, they may require proof (vin number) to order any ZR1 specific parts from the dealer parts counter. They did this in 2014 when the Z28 came out. Luckily, I had a buddy with a Z28, so no problems getting a few much needed upgrades for my 1LE. For those looking for ZR1 parts, you better make some ZR1 friends quickly, just in case. :cheers:

Defiance 11-14-2017 02:08 AM

Curious about the front fitment more than the wing. The increased airflow would certainly be welcomed though on the fence about how the larger side vents would look on a base/Z51. Apparently they designed it to have better clearance too (think I heard this from Doug DM?) than adding a lower splitter which is a nice bonus.

LT1 Z51 11-14-2017 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Defiance
Curious about the front fitment more than the wing. The increased airflow would certainly be welcomed though on the fence about how the larger side vents would look on a base/Z51. Apparently they designed it to have better clearance too (think I heard this from Doug DM?) than adding a lower splitter which is a nice bonus.

Bumper won’t lineup without at least fenders. Also I think the center of the hood is different so that wouldn’t line up either. Sadly...

z edge 11-14-2017 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by rrsperry (Post 1595960963)
Supports or not, somebody will bolt on a shopping cart wing. Maybe something from JC Whitney, or Pep Boys? lol

I believe that youtuber Streetspeed717 installed a similair wing to his Z06 and then took it back off. Not sure where he got it from I think it was carbon fiber but I have no idea how secure it was, meaning, I doubt very seriously it was anchored to his frame. For the record I thought it looked pretty good on his car, though I don't like his wraps.

DWS44 11-14-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 (Post 1595966198)
Bumper won’t lineup without at least fenders. Also I think the center of the hood is different so that wouldn’t line up either. Sadly...

:iagree:

The way they tied the new nose into the new hood complicates things. It wasn't as obvious on the pics of the Sebring Orange ZR1, but this pic of the WGG ZR1 really shows how the hood contours were brought down into the new nose:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8cbe40ba1d.png

johnglenntwo 11-14-2017 08:31 AM

Should interchange!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3decb4c779.jpg

The Camaro is probably surface mounted at three points.
The ZR1vertical wing bracket spacing and base mounting looks similar. They would be doing owners an injustice not having them switch out, especially with the big wings practical issues.
When I hear their limiting design specific simple variables I wonder.:eek:
Anyway, it makes sense the splitters and wings switch out, and starting bigger you wouldn't then use the smaller one on road tracks anyway.
The question at this point is the straight 1/4 and 210mph usage, switched out or not you're not going touring mode for that!
They are protecting their warranty. We've seen a car worn out on track.:willy:

How will it parsed out?:lurk:

BaylorCorvette 11-14-2017 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1595964595)
Can anyone say "Rice?"

Not all of us are waxers, some of us actually track the car :thumbs:

Red Devil Z51 11-14-2017 01:04 PM

it looks like a ricer. UGLY

AlaJoe 11-14-2017 01:29 PM

Can anyone say "Rice?"

Originally Posted by Red Devil Z51 (Post 1595968470)

I agree I think it looks like something a teenager or early 20 person would put on a Honda Civic. I can not help but think of this photo every time I see it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0220870915.jpg

DWS44 11-14-2017 01:36 PM

Good Lord. A functional wing, even a large one, on a capable sports car made for the track, is not rice.

This is rice:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...14e3b73e34.png

:lolg:

LT4CMG 11-14-2017 01:37 PM

Hey, I don’t like the canards which look like plastic “snow shovels” jammed into the front bumper of the Zl1 1LE. But to call the car a ricer is missing the point. That car isn't for your boulevard cruising needs. Those things serve an important purpose. Same with the zr1, it serves a purpose if you use it on the track. With many trim options to choose from, buy the vette that suits your needs.

crawfish333 11-14-2017 03:57 PM

I understand it has a function on the ZR1, but it is still the most ghastly thing I have ever seen on a stock Corvette. If you need it, great, but I am at a loss why anyone would want to put it on a base car.

But different strokes for different folks. :ack:

Originally Posted by AlaJoe (Post 1595968664)
I agree I think it looks like something a teenager or early 20 person would put on a Honda Civic. I can not help but think of this photo every time I see it.

Chris Draper 11-14-2017 04:06 PM

The TIKT wing available now is probably better and cheaper anyways. I can see GM charging $10,000 for the ZR1 wing over the counter.

TA Racer 11-14-2017 04:20 PM

Used for tracking or not, the ZR-1 wing on any C7 will look kicka$$ and could actually serve a purpose if necessary. To compare a spoiler slapped on a Civic to the one off a ZR-1, which GM dumped God knows how much cash & R&D into is absurd.

Would you consider ACRs, Porsche GTs, Lambos etc. as looking like rice too?

joemessman 11-14-2017 04:29 PM

I like both the wings available on the ZR1. I would get that tame one for sure if I wasn't going to probably buy the ZR1 when it is available this spring. I never did like the looks of the current spoilers for the C7. My wife claims I have the mind of a 16 year old anyway, so the takes care of that. Wish I had the body. :D

rikhek 11-15-2017 02:58 PM

LOL. I mean REALLY LOL. Amazing that someone with a hood liner as shown in your Avatar and below
would have the balls/audacity to call a functional aero element "ricer and UGLY". You can't make this shit up.

Rick

P.S. I'm curious, do you also have chrome wheels?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...208581640.jpeg

Panth3r 02-05-2018 05:49 PM

The money I spent on this ZO6!!!! I'm gonna put whatever I want on it and I couldn't care less what any so called purist think. Express yourself however you want you worked hard for the chance.

rob62 02-05-2018 08:11 PM

Can anyone say "Rice?"

I'ts 2018. Time to seek out a new catch phrase.

darth g-f 02-06-2018 09:06 AM

People who never raced or track cars will call anything rice, even functionnal aero bits.

On my former track car, a lotus Elise, adding functionnal splitter and wing and nothing more lowered my lap times by 4sec on a ~2min track. It's huge.

Functionnal aero bits on a 750hp top of the line Corvette is far from rice, it's actually brilliant and probably adds a bunch of safety margin on a car capable of hitting 200mph.

The wicker on Z06, though some might think looks better (or less rice), is an innefficient aero device that creates low downforce and high drag. Aerofoil is the way to go. I wish my c6 ZR1 had downforce.

vetteb_96C 02-06-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by z edge (Post 1595966251)
I believe that youtuber Streetspeed717 installed a similair wing to his Z06 and then took it back off. Not sure where he got it from I think it was carbon fiber but I have no idea how secure it was, meaning, I doubt very seriously it was anchored to his frame. For the record I thought it looked pretty good on his car, though I don't like his wraps.

His was just bolted to the hatch.

YellaFever 02-06-2018 11:17 AM

Hopefully it won't/can't be retrofitted so you guys won't look like posers lol! ;-)

moose.b3 02-06-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by darth g-f (Post 1596534069)
People who never raced or track cars will call anything rice, even functionnal aero bits.

On my former track car, a lotus Elise, adding functionnal splitter and wing and nothing more lowered my lap times by 4sec on a ~2min track. It's huge.

Functionnal aero bits on a 750hp top of the line Corvette is far from rice, it's actually brilliant and probably adds a bunch of safety margin on a car capable of hitting 200mph.

The wicker on Z06, though some might think looks better (or less rice), is an innefficient aero device that creates low downforce and high drag. Aerofoil is the way to go. I wish my c6 ZR1 had downforce.

:iagree: Bingo.

Chicago1 02-06-2018 12:56 PM

I hope so I'm always down to point and laugh

ZR1Gerhardt 02-06-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 (Post 1595960508)
New ZR1 wing, (both small and large) will they attach to other corvettes)

So I don't know much about the part yet as I don't know what its part number is, but it looks like that it is attached to a "lower wing" which looks like a mini Z51 spoiler.

The question is, how much further down does it go, and could one remove a Z51/Z06 spoiler and attach it.

Granted I don't need the down force, and the wing has to be ridiculously expensive, but I like the look of the smaller wing.

As noted here, it would require modifications as the wing is supported by some form of support attached to the frame. Without it that poor rear bumper will warp. How bad and at what speeds? Who knows.

The other issue is that with that much down force added to the rear and no changes up front, you are going to change the dynamics of how your car handles and steers. And not in a good way. It has the potential to cause massive understeer, and I am not sure how the cars suspension will react to the changes (especially without knowing which model you have).

Scott

RichieRichZ06 02-06-2018 07:47 PM

Most of the part numbers are in the system, but there is no pricing or information available yet. I will keep checking the system to see when price/availability is shown and let everybody know by posting in this thread.

GM shows the bracket for behind the rear fascia, two mounting kits (uprights) and the carbon fiber wing as the 4 main items. Along with a few part numbers for bolts and misc items, it looks like a straight forward deal.

The only thing I haven't found listed yet is the rear fascia. I assume it will be different due to the slots cut out for the uprights.

Interesting fact though... While imputing VIN's, I found that GM has built 58 ZR1's so far and the majority of them have the ZTK package.

:cheers: RICH

BEZ06 02-06-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1596538423)
Most of the part numbers are in the system, but there is no pricing or information available yet...

GM shows the bracket for behind the rear fascia, two mounting kits (uprights) and the carbon fiber wing as the 4 main items. Along with a few part numbers for bolts and misc items, it looks like a straight forward deal...

Thanks, Rich!!

I'm interested in getting the ZTK, but for high-speed events or tracks I'd like to be able to swap on the low wing for a little less drag.

Does it look like swapping from the big/high wing to the low wing will be easy to do?

The only ZR1 I've seen in person was a ZTK big wing version, but it looked like the uprights under the wing have a flat mount that is just bolted to something that was sticking up through the spoiler. Pictures I've seen of the low wing show that it has the exact same type of flat mount. And the long uprights on the big wing and the short ones on the low wing look like they're the same distance apart and should mount onto the same things that are coming up out of the spoiler.

Below are pictures of how the big wing appears to be mounted onto whatever comes up from the frame and through the spoiler.

Bottom line - do you think the wings will be able to be swapped by unbolting those 4 bolts that hold each of the uprights to whatever looks like it must stick up through the spoiler and bolting the other wing on???:confused2:

TIA

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aee38d47f.jpeg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2e81703f7.jpeg

Poor-sha 02-06-2018 09:39 PM

Along those lines, do the brackets and supports under the rear fascia look the same for high and low wing?

Sub Driver 02-07-2018 05:14 AM

Can anyone say "Rice?"

I don't think you know what that term means. Just because you don't like how it looks doesn't make something "rice."

RichieRichZ06 02-07-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1596538720)
Thanks, Rich!!

I'm interested in getting the ZTK, but for high-speed events or tracks I'd like to be able to swap on the low wing for a little less drag.

Does it look like swapping from the big/high wing to the low wing will be easy to do?

The only ZR1 I've seen in person was a ZTK big wing version, but it looked like the uprights under the wing have a flat mount that is just bolted to something that was sticking up through the spoiler. Pictures I've seen of the low wing show that it has the exact same type of flat mount. And the long uprights on the big wing and the short ones on the low wing look like they're the same distance apart and should mount onto the same things that are coming up out of the spoiler.

Below are pictures of how the big wing appears to be mounted onto whatever comes up from the frame and through the spoiler.

Bottom line - do you think the wings will be able to be swapped by unbolting those 4 bolts that hold each of the uprights to whatever looks like it must stick up through the spoiler and bolting the other wing on???:confused2:

TIA

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1596539154)
Along those lines, do the brackets and supports under the rear fascia look the same for high and low wing?

Yes, all of the parts behind the bumper and the two flat brackets on the outside of the bumper are the same part numbers. The low wing version shows the wing bolting directly to those flat brackets and the high wing (ZTK package) shows the uprights for the wing bolting directly to those flat brackets.

My assumption is that it will only require removing the 8 bolts (4 on each side) that hold the uprights in place, removing the high wing/uprights as an assembly and simply bolting the small wing in place using the same 8 bolts.

Z06NJ 04-24-2018 08:55 AM

Most of the part numbers are in the system, but there is no pricing or information available yet. I will keep checking the system to see when price/availability is shown and let everybody know by posting in this thread.

Any news?

UnhandledException 04-24-2018 09:20 AM

I dont understand why anyone would want to retrofit this to a Z06 or any non ZR1 car? You guys realize the car goes through complex wind tunnel testing with engineering team making tweaks all around. The front splitter as well as under body wind tunnels are all specifically dialed with that wing in the back. If you retrofit this to another body style, you will actually introduce major instability to your car and ruin it.

Z06NJ 04-24-2018 09:40 AM

For me, it's mainly for the looks only. Not sure what others are thinking. I'm not planning on going 200MPH anytime soon (I don't think my Z06 can hit that speed anyway lol)

UnhandledException 04-24-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Z06NJ (Post 1597063774)
For me, it's mainly for the looks only. Not sure what others are thinking. I'm not planning on going 200MPH anytime soon (I don't think my Z06 can hit that speed anyway lol)

even at highway speeds that wing make a substantial impact. You should read up on aerodynamics and how they work

Mcrider 04-24-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette (Post 1595966773)
Not all of us are waxers, some of us actually track the car :thumbs:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cd402e936c.jpg

fleming23 04-24-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by UnhandledException (Post 1597063627)
If you retrofit this to another body style, you will actually introduce major instability to your car and ruin it.

That is an asinine statement. The rear wing isn't going to add so much added downforce as to change much at highway speed and certainly isn't going to ruin the car. You need airflow to create downforce, and the only way to do that is with speed, or a hurricane.

RichieRichZ06 04-24-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Z06NJ (Post 1597063443)
Any news?

We have a ZTK wing in hand. Getting it was difficult and took a couple weeks. I will post more information once our project is complete.

I would be interested to hear if any other dealers were able to obtain the ZTK wing yet.

Mcrider 04-24-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by UnhandledException (Post 1597063794)

even at highway speeds that wing make a substantial impact. You should read up on aerodynamics and how they work

Damn near half the cars produced today have some sort of wing system on them and I can't imagine they have any sort of extensive wind tunnel testing at speed. It's a cosmetic enhancement.

People add splitters all the time and I haven't heard of any rash of cars becoming unstable on the interstate and wiping everybody around them out. The type of wing style and the degree of adjustment would determine the amount of downforce impact on any vehicle.

Wikd Vet 09-27-2018 09:47 AM

GM shows the bracket for behind the rear fascia, two mounting kits (uprights) and the carbon fiber wing as the 4 main items. Along with a few part numbers for bolts and misc items, it looks like a straight forward deal.

The only thing I haven't found listed yet is the rear fascia. I assume it will be different due to the slots cut out for the uprights.

Interesting fact though... While imputing VIN's, I found that GM has built 58 ZR1's so far and the majority of them have the ZTK package.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...anks/star1.gif

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cons/icon1.gif Installing ZR1 ZTK.wing on Z06Rich,

Sounds like you have access to diagrams, pics and part numbers for the ZR1 ZTK wing and mounts. I am looking to install this high wing on my Z06. Can you please send me pics of what the mounting system looks like behind the facia, the associated part numbers and maybe even an ipdate on how your install went.

Thank you,

Tim
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ser_online.gif
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns/forward.gif https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eply_small.gif https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums.../reply_all.gif
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lapse_tcat.gifQuick Reply Source

◢Auto-Saved

View History
Message Historyhttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lapse_tcat.gifDelete this MessageDelete Message
To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Delete this Message

James Strickland 03-20-2019 07:43 PM

Zr1 spoiler

I am working on a c7 z06 that is getting a zr1 spoiler and can give you some insight, as I'm almost done with the job.

I'll start by saying this is not bolt on job, almost everything you touch is going to need to be modified.

Some parts you will need: (I'll get you some part# when I get back to work)
Zr1 spoiler support bracket -
Zr1 hatch release support bracket-
Zr1 small spoiler-
Zr1 spoiler mount brackets-
Optional- you could get the zr1 rear rebar, without it you will have to nutcert your rebar for mounting the spoiler support bracket. And you will have to do some grinding and relocating of the original antenna mounts. We did not get one as it is to much work to remove.

Gm will not sell the big spoiler w/o a zr1 vin yet, so our customer is getting a Weapon-x zr1 spoiler.

The zr1 hatch release bracket will need some tabs cut off it unless you are willing to remove your rebar wich is panel bonded in place. But with tabs removed it fits nicely where the zo6 bracket was, and will give you a guide where your nutcerts should go in your factory rebar.

The rear bumper cover will also need some work in order to fit the zr1 small spolier, more holes will need to be drilled, and some grooves cut to retain the new spoiler, you will need to cut out the sections where the spoiler support bar will protrude, also there is a bracket in the center, heat welded in place, and it will need to be removed.
I beleive this was quoted as an $8k job, and the zr1 spoiler was $6k of that $8k, that was before gm wouldent sell the spoiler.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b71ed456fa.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c7319abf1.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fac41db52f.jpg
Lots of grinding in this area.

TensionC7 03-20-2019 08:16 PM

ZTK wing added to a C7 GSCE

I've done a mod to my C7GSCE as well as what James has done. I mounted my GM OEM parts pretty much like James did except for the stamped metal backup bracing for the main mount. I made my own.
Pictures can be found in the Thread C7 parts for sale etc. just do a search for ZR1 ZTK wing.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bf09aaf685.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8e6a4201a1.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7d18878fe9.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d744827d51.jpg

Poor-sha 03-20-2019 08:35 PM

I'm going to take the rear fascia off my 2019 GS this weekend and see if the holes are there already to accept the ZR1 wing brace. I can't believe they wouldn't be on a 2019.

TensionC7 03-20-2019 10:26 PM

Poor-sha, I'll be very interested to see if GM built all C7's with the capability to accept the ZR1 wing frame mounts etc... :)

Here's where I put my antenna's verses James location.

Doug

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ce9fbf3d8.jpg

Doug

James Strickland 03-20-2019 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TensionC7 (Post 1599081403)
Poor-sha, I'll be very interested to see if GM built all C7's with the capability to accept the ZR1 wing frame mounts etc... :)

Here's where I put my antenna's verses James location.

Doug

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ce9fbf3d8.jpg

Doug

I like that antenna location, I may place them there tomorrow, as they aren't really mounted yet, just setting there in my picture.

James Strickland 03-21-2019 09:57 AM

I am really wanting to see the rear body of a zr1 without the bumber cover on it (to see where gm placed everything), anyone seen any pictures floating around or know a zr1 owner who has removed there cover.

ssmith512 03-21-2019 11:09 AM

Thanks for sharing this info guys. I have a Weapon-X ZTX wing on order for my 2019 Z I just got two weeks ago. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I am sure I will be utilizing your info.

SouthernSon 03-21-2019 09:01 PM

I suppose Vortex Generators would drive them absolutely batty! :D

The wing works, the wing is good, the wing wins races. Enough said! ;)

Poor-sha 03-27-2019 08:43 PM

I pulled the rear fascia off my 2019 GS and took some pictures. It looks like the bolt holes are all there so I ordered the parts to bolt a ZR1 wing to the car.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6a539520f6.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9d4d9da353.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...84f17e2345.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aaf5a2fcf9.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...103bd589b8.jpg

ssmith512 03-28-2019 08:19 AM

Thanks for sharing those pics. I'm guessing maybe my '19 Z will be the same, so conversion should be pretty easy.

emperors61 04-02-2019 09:57 PM

Is it hard to retro-fit a pre ZR1 C7 Z06 to mount the ZR1 wing?

Hirohawa 04-02-2019 10:06 PM

Will the wing Retrofit to the C6 Zs?

Poor-sha 04-13-2019 06:41 PM

Well this has turned in to a much bigger job than I expected. Is there a trick to getting the original bracket from a non-ZR1 off? Not only is it epoxied to the bumper rail but also to the rear fascia itself. I don't see how that's coming off. On top of that, the nuts with washer wouldn't come off two of the studs because the studs would just spin. I ended up cutting one of them off but now I'm trying to figure out the best path forward.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bcadd9c911.jpg

This is how the ZR1 bracket is supposed to go if I can get the other one off. The big brace then bolts to this and the bumper.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5dfc12c2ff.jpg

ssmith512 04-13-2019 07:15 PM

When I get around to mine (waiting on the wing) I plan on leaving the stock bracket in place and fabbing a custom "L" bracket to connect the upper portion of the big wing bracket to the stock bracket. 1 "L" bracket on each leg of the wing bracket (right and left side)

TensionC7 04-13-2019 10:02 PM

ZR1 wing modifications to C7's

This is what I did for mine... mainly because I didn't know about that 'stamped metal' piece.... so I fab'd up two 'L brace's' myself...
Doug

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...00f6035c89.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f4a733e2f0.jpg
I mounted the L braces to the existing stamped metal section in the unused and available exisiting holes.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...32e911f33d.jpg

TensionC7 04-13-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by emperors61 (Post 1599158182)
Is it hard to retro-fit a pre ZR1 C7 Z06 to mount the ZR1 wing?

It's labor intensive... and if your a DIY'er and know how to cut and fab and weld you'll be o.k. But it is time consuming and you'll cut up the rear facia / bumper in a few places and the foam crash impact bumper piece...

I've got other pictures on the forums here.
Doug
My GSCE ready for the wing...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4eae47fa45.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e3a0063944.jpg

ssmith512 04-14-2019 08:20 AM

Exactly what he said! :cheers::flag:

Poor-sha 04-14-2019 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at it again this morning there is a rivet in the bracket that lines up with the brace. I'm going to put a spacer between them and run a bolt through then to tie the top together instead of a bracket.

Poor-sha 04-14-2019 01:57 PM

That seemed to work. Now I just need to figure out how you are supposed to adjust the top bracket ends that the wing stantions attach to. Clearly they are adjustable but I see no way to tighten them down the the fascia on the car.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...73213c6cb8.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...34d3e598ef.jpg

Poor-sha 04-14-2019 06:45 PM

I really expected this to be a lot easier since I was starting from a 2019 but trying to mount the ZR1 spoiler to an existing stage 1 GS has required a lot of cutting of the rear fascia. I had to drill two holes for new studs but also cut 4 slots for tabs that have nothing on the other side of the fascia to click in to, enlarge the existing CHMSL cutout to fit the connector for the one on the ZR1 spoiler, and also cut holes for the wing mounts to pass through the fascia. On top of that, I have two exposed holes at the end of the fascia that aren't covered by the ZR1 spoiler. If I had realized how much work this was going to be in retrospect I would've gone another route.

Here are some pics:

That white spot you see behind the spoiler is one of the aforementioned holes left exposed by the new splitter.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3936ead8e6.jpg

Here is what the cut up top of the fascia looked like in the end. The cut out areas are black, the white areas you see are reflected light.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...89cb06e23c.jpg

This is a head on shot of the spoiler sitting on the fascia. You can see the studs, tabs, connector, and plastic pin that all need new holes.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fa9aa90d75.jpg

ssmith512 04-15-2019 12:10 PM

I cant tell, did you install a spacer between the wing bracket and the rear bulkhead of the car? If not, that bolt is only keeping the bracket from flexing backwards. It will still able flex forward if there is nothing stopping it.

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599225245)
That seemed to work. Now I just need to figure out how you are supposed to adjust the top bracket ends that the wing stantions attach to. Clearly they are adjustable but I see no way to tighten them down the the fascia on the car.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...73213c6cb8.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...34d3e598ef.jpg

Poor-sha 04-15-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith512
I cant tell, did you install a spacer between the wing bracket and the rear bulkhead of the car? If not, that bolt is only keeping the bracket from flexing backwards. It will still able flex forward if there is nothing stopping it.

Yes there is a 2" aluminum spacer and washers between the bracket and the brace.

ssmith512 04-15-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599230420)
Yes there is a 2" aluminum spacer and washers between the bracket and the brace.

Perfect. I like your idea. May I have your permission to copy it when I start my installation?

TensionC7 04-15-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599226768)
I really expected this to be a lot easier since I was starting from a 2019 but trying to mount the ZR1 spoiler to an existing stage 1 GS has required a lot of cutting of the rear fascia. I had to drill two holes for new studs but also cut 4 slots for tabs that have nothing on the other side of the fascia to click in to, enlarge the existing CHMSL cutout to fit the connector for the one on the ZR1 spoiler, and also cut holes for the wing mounts to pass through the fascia. On top of that, I have two exposed holes at the end of the fascia that aren't covered by the ZR1 spoiler. If I had realized how much work this was going to be in retrospect I would've gone another route.

Here are some pics:

That white spot you see behind the spoiler is one of the aforementioned holes left exposed by the new splitter.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3936ead8e6.jpg

Here is what the cut up top of the fascia looked like in the end. The cut out areas are black, the white areas you see are reflected light.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...89cb06e23c.jpg

This is a head on shot of the spoiler sitting on the fascia. You can see the studs, tabs, connector, and plastic pin that all need new holes.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fa9aa90d75.jpg

Poor-sha.... Hey, I had the same issue with this "
"That white spot you see behind the spoiler is one of the aforementioned holes left exposed by the new splitter." So I re-drilled the holes to position the spoiler outer ends rearward 1/2" to cover up that hole."

Poor-sha 04-15-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith512
Perfect. I like your idea. May I have your permission to copy it when I start my installation?

Certainly!

Rinaldo Catria 04-15-2019 11:28 PM

Sean...you mentioned the retrofit is a bigger job than you initially anticipated. By happenstance or GM’s intent to reduce it from being done?.. is it true the only way to get a BAW is with a repair order with VIN and pictures of the damage because they are in short supply?

Rinaldo Catria 04-15-2019 11:43 PM

Excuse me for getting a bit off topic a bit, but I had to share this recent pic I took of a Turbo S with the wing up. Is it just me or does this look really busy?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d128f47dd0.png

joemessman 04-16-2019 03:56 AM

^^^ Too busy for me, and I'm a busy guy! :ack:

Poor-sha 04-16-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
Sean...you mentioned the retrofit is a bigger job than you initially anticipated. By happenstance or GM’s intent to reduce it from being done?.. is it true the only way to get a BAW is with a repair order with VIN and pictures of the damage because they are in short supply?

On the first point I doubt it's intentional, there's just not a lot to mount to back there. On the second point I don't know.

hcvone 04-16-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria (Post 1599234729)
Excuse me for getting a bit off topic a bit, but I had to share this recent pic I took of a Turbo S with the wing up. Is it just me or does this look really busy?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d128f47dd0.png

That is with the areo package and the wing manually extended, yea too much going on.

ssmith512 04-19-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599225245)

I received my GM brackets today. I see what you mean about the top bracket ends. Literally a small round peg in a big square hole! LOL! I am surprised there isnt some sort of "flexible" insert (high durometer rubber or ??) that fits the square hole to take up the space and accepts the round bolt.

This has me scratching my head too.......

mdk 04-20-2019 07:20 PM

whats the part # for the stamped metal piece?

Poor-sha 04-20-2019 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mdk (Post 1599263134)
whats the part # for the stamped metal piece?

That should be the first item in the list:

ZR1 Wing parts

84363001 - reinforcement - $303 (net $243)
84417894 - spoiler (black unpainted) - $475 (net $380)
84438724 - bracket (main brace) - $524
84414373 - top mount need 2x - $165/ea
11601873 - bolts (4x) - $4.49/ea
11570136 - bolts (10x) - $6.84/ea

Hib Halverson 04-21-2019 01:33 PM

ZR-1 high wing on a GS....

With that mod, I'm curious, for track use, what will be done up front to rebalance the car's aero once the ZTK wing is in place?

Poor-sha 04-21-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1599266413)
ZR-1 high wing on a GS....

With that mod, I'm curious, for track use, what will be done up front to rebalance the car's aero once the ZTK wing is in place?

I have a stage 3 splitter that I might try but that is just an experiment. I have someone designing a proper tunneled splitter and also looking at dive planes/canards for the front. The goal is to go for max front downforce and then balance with wing. The question I have is whether the ZR1 wing will be sufficient to balance all the front df when we're done.

TensionC7 04-22-2019 11:49 AM

Poor-sha, If you don't already know the rear ZTK high wing only has two settings for adjustment. Not sure what GM has for downforce numbers at each setting... I'm starting out at the mininum angle of attack first whilst using LG's extended front splitter that I've mounted on the front.
Doug

shane p 04-22-2019 12:16 PM

Can anyone say "Rice?"

Its a functioning wing on a car for the track. There is a purpose for it unlike the ones on the ricer cars.

Jeff V. 04-22-2019 02:36 PM

For a lot of people 'rice' just means "car stuff I don't like or understand, usually of Asian origin".

Wikd Vet 04-23-2019 08:00 PM

So I just received the mounting kit from Weopan X. Still waiting for the wing. What are these clips for? Received 4 of them.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4bc28029e4.jpg

Poor-sha 04-23-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wikd Vet (Post 1599279452)
So I just received the mounting kit from Weopan X. Still waiting for the wing. What are these clips for? Received 4 of them.

Did it come with a GM spoiler as well? What's the part number as it looks like a GM part bag. I wonder if it is for the tabs that slot through the top of the rear fascia for the spoiler. I'm really curious to see how this works.

Wikd Vet 04-23-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599279466)
Did it come with a GM spoiler as well? What's the part number as it looks like a GM part bag. I wonder if it is for the tabs that slot through the top of the rear fascia for the spoiler. I'm really curious to see how this works.

Yes they are GM.parts. See attached pic. The kit came with what appears to be a stock ZR1 decklid spoiler complete with the 3rd brake light. I like the way you used the 2" spacers. Where did you get them a d what size bolt did you end up using?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b90e2ea2b6.jpg

ssmith512 04-23-2019 08:22 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...97495d2a05.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...20a1011153.jpg
There are 4 vertical tabs in the body spoiler that will protrude through the rear fascia. Those clips will snap into the vertical tabs of the body spoiler. They are additional hold downs that work in conjunction with the threaded studs to hold down the body spoiler to the rear fascia.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Wikd Vet (Post 1599279452)

Poor-sha 04-23-2019 08:26 PM

I'm interested to see what other pieces came with the kit. I couldn't get the plug from the GS to connect to the connector on the ZR1 3rd brake light in the spoiler. Also, two of the studs in the ZR1 spoiler have nothing under them because there is a hole where the GS/Z06 3rd brake light used to be.

ssmith512 04-23-2019 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599279605)
I'm interested to see what other pieces came with the kit. I couldn't get the plug from the GS to connect to the connector on the ZR1 3rd brake light in the spoiler. Also, two of the studs in the ZR1 spoiler have nothing under them because there is a hole where the GS/Z06 3rd brake light used to be.

I plan on heat welding (or epoxy) some mounting tabs to the fascia to provide a mount for those two studs.

I "think" a standard plug from Autozone will work. I havent been able to get over there to confirm though. Would have to cut off the plug on the car side and splice in the new plug;

ssmith512 04-23-2019 08:37 PM

I dont have the upright station brackets from the body spoiler to the wing yet and I am trying to figure out where the in between adjustable brackets sit, are they flush with the top of the body spoiler or are they recessed a bit?

Wikd Vet 04-23-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith512 (Post 1599279583)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...97495d2a05.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...20a1011153.jpg
There are 4 vertical tabs in the body spoiler that will protrude through the rear fascia. Those clips will snap into the vertical tabs of the body spoiler. They are additional hold downs that work in conjunction with the threaded studs to hold down the body spoiler to the rear fascia.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. This helps a ton.....

Poor-sha 04-23-2019 08:54 PM

FWIW I just put extra large zip ties through the tabs in the spoiler and it held them in place.

I adjusted the in between brackets to be flat and as centered as I could get them in the holes in the spoiler. However, I don't have my wing back either to see if it fits.

ssmith512 04-23-2019 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wikd Vet (Post 1599279793)
Thank you very much. This helps a ton.....

No problem.

I have the Weapon X kit as well, do you have your wing yet? I am still waiting on them to get the ZTK wings in (ordered March 2). I think they just got the ZTXL wings in. Hopefully wont have to wait too much longer.

Poor-sha 04-23-2019 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith512 (Post 1599279660)
I plan on heat welding (or epoxy) some mounting tabs to the fascia to provide a mount for those two studs.

I "think" a standard plug from Autozone will work. I havent been able to get over there to confirm though. Would have to cut off the plug on the car side and splice in the new plug;

What tool do you use for heat welding the plastic? It looks like the factory has a set of little dots.

ssmith512 04-23-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599279818)
I adjusted the in between brackets to be flat and as centered as I could get them in the holes in the spoiler. However, I don't have my wing back either to see if it fits.

Thanks. I was thinking they needed to be level as well.

ssmith512 04-23-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599279850)
What tool do you use for heat welding the plastic? It looks like the factory has a set of little dots.

Dont laugh...Harbor Freight to the rescue! LOL!

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-wat...kit-60662.html

Havent done it yet, so I cant confirm it actually works. I have plastic welded before, just not sure if it will weld to the whatever the rear fascia is made of.

If it doesnt work, I have some crazy good aerospace structural epoxy that will work (Hysol 9462).

Wikd Vet 04-23-2019 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith512 (Post 1599279836)
No problem.

I have the Weapon X kit as well, do you have your wing yet? I am still waiting on them to get the ZTK wings in (ordered March 2). I think they just got the ZTXL wings in. Hopefully wont have to wait too much longer.

I ordered my kit on Jan 19. Should be getting the ZTXL wing soon. Ben said they received a shipment of wings last week. Fingers crossed. Sounds like a few of us can coordinate and go through the install process together!!!