CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Bose Speakers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4090934-bose-speakers.html)

Gmorrison 01-17-2018 10:41 AM

Bose Speakers

1992 Corvette coupe original Bose system passenger side speakers work but Drivers side both front & rear not working ?

biggiefl 01-17-2018 11:09 AM

Probably amps. Buy a front and see if it corrects it, if so then buy a rear. Got a front from a guy here that sells on E-bay for $35 or so shipped.

billschroeder5842 01-17-2018 11:50 AM

In addition to Ebay, scour Craigs List. There are often guys parting out C4 and the amps are cheap.

aklim 01-17-2018 01:41 PM

Do you want to be 100% original? If not, you can run separate wires for the newer and better systems that have bluetooth, XM radio, CD Changers, etc, etc instead of that crappy old thing.

Gmorrison 01-17-2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1596396309)
Do you want to be 100% original? If not, you can run separate wires for the newer and better systems that have bluetooth, XM radio, CD Changers, etc, etc instead of that crappy old thing.

I just bought this off I gentleman that kept it in show condition and only has 38,000 miles, was leaning to keep original but the more I learn about the Bose systems back then the more I'm starteing to think I'd be money ahead to switch out !

JimLentz 01-17-2018 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gmorrison (Post 1596396388)
I just bought this off I gentleman that kept it in show condition and only has 38,000 miles, was leaning to keep original but the more I learn about the Bose systems back then the more I'm starteing to think I'd be money ahead to switch out !

There are a few ways you can go. I replaced the Bose head unit, but replaced the blown amps and used the existing speakers. My CDM was also bad, but I removed it and wired the new touch screen head unit to the Bose system via this adapter cable.

aklim 01-17-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gmorrison (Post 1596396388)

I did. The wires are still there if I were to be insane enough to do a reinstall.

Skidmark1 01-19-2018 02:27 AM

Or you can do the right thing.....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...inc-in-fl.html

Your choice.
Skiddy

pcolt94 01-20-2018 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gmorrison (Post 1596394956)
1992 Corvette coupe original Bose system passenger side speakers work but Drivers side both front & rear not working ?

Before you can even think what you want to do, you have to know the exact problems. The rear speakers are easily removed. Just swap them and that will tell you for sure if it is the speaker (amp) is bad, or a possible CDM problem. Once you know that you will be able to move forward with a plan.

Do you hear anything, static or sound coming out of the defective side speakers. If it is a speaker box, the amps may be able to be repaired as I have fixed many. If the CDM is bad, all I could say about is give it a good visual inspection for leaky capacitors. Other than that it would have to be sent out for repair.

Do what you got to do, my Bose system is so clean and the sound is excellent. I'm not a big Bose fan but they had some really good technology. But it's not a high tech system as some of the newer systems with additional features. But I wanted to stay stock and as long as I can support it I'm happy, a personal preference.

Cool Runnings 01-21-2018 03:30 PM

Crappy old thing, Bose Gold sounds great !!!! :lurk:

aklim 01-21-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings (Post 1596422752)
Crappy old thing, Bose Gold sounds great !!!! :lurk:

Would you be able to tell the difference between my newer unit and the old thing that used to be in the car? I think not for most people unless you are a serious audiophile and the car is parked.

djpink889 01-21-2018 07:02 PM

I had the same driver side problem in my 96. Do the easy diagnosis and swap sides. From there you have many options. My car turned out to have a CDM problem. Instead of sending out the CDM to be repaired I spent the same amount of money and bought a pioneer head unit and got the wiring adapters to keep the speakers. I didn't want to run any more wiring than I had to so I kept the factory speakers. There is also so much road noise and the interior geometry just isn't made for good sound I didn't want to replace the speakers.

Now, if you swap sides and they work, you have an amp problem most likely. It is possible you have a bad speaker on that driver side so make sure you try both speakers when you swap them to verify your original driver side works. If you have an amp problem you have options again; you can send them out to be repaired or go to a junkyard and try to find a set out of a 90s Infinity. There is a post on here if you search the keywords that details what years and models to look for. I got a set of four at pull a part for like $48 just in case I need amps. If you don't want to mess with amps you can always follow aklim and do the whole darn thing.

Ultimately it comes down to originality and how much you want to spend to keep it that way.

ccramer 01-23-2018 12:03 AM

I just replaced all four amps in my 1992 corvette for 10$ piece. it sounds incredible now. the amps were from a 1997 nissan maxima which has the revised and updated versions of our amps.

I might be inclined to let the extra ones go for 25$ a piece shipped locally.

Jerry Roubos 01-23-2018 01:14 AM

I kept my car bone stock and I am not sorry. I had the same problem and replaced the amps.

lances2000 11-27-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ccramer (Post 1596432952)
I just replaced all four amps in my 1992 corvette for 10$ piece. it sounds incredible now. the amps were from a 1997 nissan maxima which has the revised and updated versions of our amps.

Are those 97 Amps plug and play or do you have to do some modifications to make them work? Where did you find the amps?

3D-Aircrew 11-27-2018 11:58 AM

Dr. Don's

Originally Posted by Gmorrison (Post 1596394956)

If it does turn out to be your speaker amps Dr. Don's Corvette Radio Repair repairs them as well as the Bose head units.

Izzy Dizzy 11-29-2018 07:31 PM

:iagree:

Izzy Dizzy 11-29-2018 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ccramer (Post 1596432952)

Curious to know how you found out the Nissan amps would work in a C4? Bose teams up with many car makers, but even some other GM Bose amps won't work in a C4.
Please do tell!