CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4091965-gm-lost-me-as-a-new-c7-gs-buyer.html)

ram_g 01-23-2018 06:40 AM

OP: I for one have no problem with your original post pointing out defects from the factory that should be acceptable to no one. Nor do I have an issue with you bringing up the point that GM needs to find younger buyers for the Corvette. Hope you stay with American V8s though! If you do check out the Mustang GT350 I'd be interested in your feedback.

woodsguy 01-23-2018 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1596431240)
^^^ So, you are here exactly, why? Not being antagonistic; just asking. I mean, Lex, MB and Au---why bother with the riff-raff?

Well, you did notice his username, right?:lurk:

flyingbunnys 01-23-2018 11:20 AM

I too am a millennial, who decided against the C7. I instead found a nice used low mileage C6 and used the difference in cost to fix some of known common issues before the occur and updated the technology.

Next is leather wrapping some of the cheap feeling interior.

jimmbbo 01-23-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by lupicon (Post 1596432377)
Bottom line, I would guess the Corvette has a very wide and increasing appeal across a number of demographic age groups--the price not so much. .

I was looking to replace my '11 Mustang GT 5.0 and discovered that a well equipped Mustang GT runs north of $50k, and for not much more I could get a Corvette, it became a no brainer...

jimmbbo 01-23-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by LbulletM (Post 1596429053)
Better go and pick up one of those Maybachs from a "reputable" manufacturer if you want perfect paint with no defects like orange peel.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1860dfd711.jpg

That's the latest STEALTH Maybach... low visibility paint and brushed metal trim for low observability... Adds another $10k to the sticker price... :D

MikeyTX 01-23-2018 03:56 PM

Can't be believe this thread is still going :D

airforcex 01-23-2018 05:50 PM

GM, Dodge, Jaguar lost you!

Tracking your concerns, but you will find something you don’tike with any car (price too high, not the engine performance you’re looking for, style, reliability, etc). Before you buy a car, you inspect it. If you don’t like one in particular, find another one. It will be tough finding a better car for $75K (maybe used Z06s). Fixing the paint on a brand new car is more than OK if the dealer does it. That bumper takes 30 mins to remove. As I read your post, Dodge, Jaguar
and I imagine Porsche & BMW also lost you.
(Also a millennial)

ExRedRacer 01-23-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1596437273)
Can't be believe this thread is still going :D

Has potential to be another one of those epic threads...

AORoads 01-23-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1596431903)
I believe he buys used Corvettes.

Mr. Fake buys used cars....oh, ok. I do, too, occasionally. Still not sure why he's on here talking about his super cars, or expensive cars. Jus' sayin'

Originally Posted by woodsguy (Post 1596433493)
Well, you did notice his username, right?:lurk:

Yes, I did. And I did wonder....:cheers:

Skid Row Joe 01-24-2018 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mammoth713 (Post 1596433224)
Learn how to read... I didn't ever post a gripe about orange peel.

Learn how to spell.. Millennial

Exactly....!

When some here don't like the topic narrative they make cr@p up!

Orange peel, is a given on ALL C7s. Not the topic in question.

JGarland 01-24-2018 06:08 AM

C7 GS here.

Zero problems with fit and finish or paint.

Maybe check a different dealer.

Also if you dont like the C7 styling, find something else you like better.

Problem solved.

mammoth713 01-26-2018 06:59 PM

For anyone who cares, the final car I haven't looked at that I wanted to compare to the GS was a new gt350.

Stopped at a dealer here and looked at them, didn't test drive it tho. They had 5 gt350 there and most of them had varying degrees of bumper fitment with the body. Also noticed the hood edges seemed to have sloppy paint application but you don't see it from standing.

The biggest impression the mustang made on me was the flat plane crank motor with the loud exhaust setting. Holy F. That is probably the best sounding 100% stock V8 I've ever heard in my life.

However, it's still a mustang, and the chassis is obviously not as good as c7gs.

Just figured I'd post this here for anyone who was debating between c7gs and gt350.

JGarland 01-26-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by mammoth713 (Post 1596459183)
For anyone who cares, the final car I haven't looked at that I wanted to compare to the GS was a new gt350.

Stopped at a dealer here and looked at them, didn't test drive it tho. They had 5 gt350 there and most of them had varying degrees of bumper fitment with the body. Also noticed the hood edges seemed to have sloppy paint application but you don't see it from standing.

The biggest impression the mustang made on me was the flat plane crank motor with the loud exhaust setting. Holy F. That is probably the best sounding 100% stock V8 I've ever heard in my life.

However, it's still a mustang, and the chassis is obviously not as good as c7gs.

Just figured I'd post this here for anyone who was debating between c7gs and gt350.

So, since you have eliminated everything so far what car meets your approval?

red62vette 01-26-2018 07:05 PM

I looked at the GT350 also. I liked it a lot, but I like the GS better and I don't regret my decision a bit. And my paint and panel fitment are very good.

cheapthrills 01-26-2018 09:17 PM

Guess I'm lucky, none of those paint issues on the 2 C7's I owned, own.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...157643fb10.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d9f5670354.jpg

One of the best looking cars made these days IMO, certainly the best under 100k car.

mammoth713 01-27-2018 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by JGarland (Post 1596459200)
So, since you have eliminated everything so far what car meets your approval?

Right now, none of them. And that's OK. I already have 2 cars, I'm in no rush.

I am going to wait and see how some more 2019 GS roll off the line with the new paint facility.

To be honest, I will most likely just enjoy the cars I have right now and maybe in a few years buy a used c7gs, used gt350, or new c8. We aren't that far from a c8 coming out, I'm fine waiting.

Also in the back of my head is my c5z might be total garbage interior wise but it runs low 12s when c7gs runs high 11s. Back to back on street they feel close in acceleration. If it was more of a drastic change from c5z then I'd be more inclined to upgrade. Just kind of worn out at trying to find a c7gs with decent bumper edge paint on lots. I can deal with the bumper paint edge issues if I buy a used one and original owner takes the larger depreciation hit instead of me

I 100% fully understand no car is perfect. All makes and models have certain issues or even within the same model, some just happen to have less issues than others. The issues I mentioned on the gt350 show that it's not just c7gs with some paint and bumper fitment issues apparently

Vote w/ your $$. There's a point where its within reason, and there's a point where car companies shouldn't get a pass on this stuff.. (IE c6z valve issue, focus RS head gasket issues, etc)

gmanflying 01-27-2018 03:28 AM

Just stay with the c5z

JerryU 01-27-2018 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by cheapthrills (Post 1596459981)
Guess I'm lucky, none of those paint issues on the 2 C7's I owned, own.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...157643fb10.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d9f5670354.jpg

One of the best looking cars made these days IMO, certainly the best under 100k car.

Have not looked at this Thread since I posted some time back. I'll add to your post, but from following many posts since I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51 though my current Grand Sport it is not "Luck," mine are "perfect as well!" As are most C7's from the silent majority who often do not post! :yesnod:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e149bf9f93.jpg
2014 Z51 Chrystal Red Metallic: 3LT, OEM Visible Carbon fiber Roof, I Added CF Side Skirts, CF Splitter, CF Hood Vent as well as Real CF Grill Bar Cover.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...63fd9ded3a.jpg
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport: 2.5 LT (added Adrenaline Red Upper Dash Pad to match seats,) OEM Stage 2 Aero Package with Stage 3 Winglets I added.

Both cars have Carbotech 1521 brake pads (that stop excess dust AND provide better cold pad braking,) Cue Ball Shift Knobs (on M7 trans that helps 1st to 2nd and 4th to 7th shift,) CAGS Eliminator (so I can shift to whatever gear when I want,) aFe Low Restriction Air Intake (~15 more hp but like NPP that both have it adds loud sucking sound at WOT,) Catch Can (collects oil and "stuff" from PCV system going to intake to reduce amount of coking inherent in DI engines. Note the GS collects only about 25% of that in the 2014 Z51 BUT it's still oil NOT going over the hot intake valves and baking!) Other cosmetic extra's on each.

Skid Row Joe 01-27-2018 11:05 AM

What this thread by Mammoth, and Tool Hoarder's thread about crappy paint and fitment issues has done is make me very glad I was able to find an in-stock, in-State new C7, that fit nearly 100% of my shopping criteria. What a nightmare it'd be trying to get the far, far away Internet dealer to do anything for me after having received a new C7 off the transport, as some have with any number of damaged and or extensive faulty workmanship on what was supposed to be a good experience. :ack:

AORoads 01-27-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mammoth713 (Post 1596461191)
Right now, none of them. And that's OK. I already have 2 cars, I'm in no rush.

I am going to wait and see how some more 2019 GS roll off the line with the new paint facility.

To be honest, I will most likely just enjoy the cars I have right now and maybe in a few years buy a used c7gs, used gt350, or new c8. We aren't that far from a c8 coming out, I'm fine waiting.

Also in the back of my head is my c5z might be total garbage interior wise but it runs low 12s when c7gs runs high 11s. Back to back on street they feel close in acceleration. If it was more of a drastic change from c5z then I'd be more inclined to upgrade. Just kind of worn out at trying to find a c7gs with decent bumper edge paint on lots. I can deal with the bumper paint edge issues if I buy a used one and original owner takes the larger depreciation hit instead of me

I 100% fully understand no car is perfect. All makes and models have certain issues or even within the same model, some just happen to have less issues than others. The issues I mentioned on the gt350 show that it's not just c7gs with some paint and bumper fitment issues apparently

Vote w/ your $$. There's a point where its within reason, and there's a point where car companies shouldn't get a pass on this stuff.. (IE c6z valve issue, focus RS head gasket issues, etc)

I do. But, since you're being reasonable in your assessment of new cars I think you'll agree that everyone's "point where car companies" DO get a pass is different.

Some new buyers don't see it. Some don't care. Some care, and live with it (which is a form of not caring very much, or at all). Some buy it, and correct it. You are choosing to either wait it out, or buy it used when the cost is less to get it. That's fine.

But, it doesn't sound like you're knocking or making fun of anyone who has a different "point" where they will buy, or not buy. I'd say, that's a bit of a change in your implied first posts on the topic. :yesnod: