CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Northern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california-126/)
-   -   Anyone running Long tube headers? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california/4112627-anyone-running-long-tube-headers.html)

Vette_Fan 03-12-2018 08:02 AM

Anyone running Long tube headers?

Hey guys,

Just got a C6. Looking for long tube headers recommendations.

I also have a question - I am told they're not legal in CA, although I know a lot of Corvettes have them...so what's the deal? :crazy:

DWillys 03-12-2018 12:57 PM

Some places in CA have inspections only when the vehicle is sold. Also, from what I understand, there's no inspection the 1st 5 years for a new vehicle.

I've heard stories of Porsche owners that have 2 engines, one for driving and one for the smog inspection. So my guess is they're swapping parts for smog inspections or have access to a "friendly" smog test shop. However "friendly" shops are becoming fewer and fewer as the state works pretty hard to weed them out.

383vett 03-12-2018 02:34 PM

When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.

odxr 03-12-2018 04:17 PM

Some of the counties in California are smog on transfer only-like if you own a cabin in the mountains you register it there.Mods are only legal if the come with a California Air resources board executive order exemption sticker.If you get pulled over and the leo thinks you have a modified car you can get sent to the smog referee station.Some guys buy new cars and mod them then sell out of state when its time for a smog test.

Vette_Fan 03-12-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1596769098)
When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.

I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.

My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.

383vett 03-12-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596770018)
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.

My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.

Actually, I think it's now over 6 years for a new car. My wife's car was bought early 2012 and we just paid for a new registration (6 years) and didn't have to have it smogged. Perhaps someone in the know can chime in. Long tubes won't pass smog. You'll have to swap them out every 2 years.

Paul 68 03-12-2018 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596770018)

I have a 2008 Corvette and half to smog it every two years.

jonnyc 03-12-2018 09:38 PM

problem with lt's is they move the o2 sensor farther away from the motor than designed.that"s why ca. won't issue a carb # for them.any aftermarket part that is before the cats needs a carb # or they are illegal.
your option are:
1- run them and hope the smog tech is blind
2- run them and switch out to stock exhaust every other year at smog time
3- run ls7 exhaust.they are basicly like using shorty headers so the gain over a base c6 exhaust will be about half of lt's

ssbowtie1 03-13-2018 11:16 AM

To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.

mggray87 03-14-2018 01:12 AM

I'l be coming across this issue next year as I'll be up for smog.

Vette_Fan 03-14-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 (Post 1596774895)
To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.

Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs :eek: It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? :toetap: Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing :crazy:

DWillys 03-14-2018 05:57 PM

Anything from the cats forward requires an Executive Order (EO) sticker. If it isn't original equipment or have a EO sticker it will fail visual. In fact most smog shops do the visual 1st and if you fail that they won't waste their time on a test.

This tells what vehicles have to be tested and how often:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Here's the database of EOs. If it isn't here it isn't legal to use in a vehicle on CA roads.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...es/amquery.php

So anyone telling you their long tubes are ok are lying if they aren't in the database. The STAR (smog test) technicians for the most part don't care what you or the manufacturers says. If it doesn't have the EO sticker it fails.

ssbowtie1 03-14-2018 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596784655)
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs :eek: It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? :toetap: Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing :crazy:

Well some states still do a sniffer test and technically high flow cats will pass the sniffer on a stock cam or close to stock cam (although generally they go bad faster than stock cats).

You may be able to not disable the rear O2 sensors and not set a code, maybe someone with LTs can chime in.

Ideally if you can turn off the rear O2s and still get a ready reading on the sensor, that would be your best bet. I've had tuners tell me it's possible, but I haven't verified it.

ptroxx 03-14-2018 08:05 PM

Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.

Vette_Fan 03-14-2018 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ptroxx (Post 1596785554)
Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.

I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing). :hide:

ptroxx 03-14-2018 09:06 PM

I’m talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So that’s not an issue.

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596785850)
I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing). :hide:

Vette_Fan 03-18-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ptroxx (Post 1596785958)
I’m talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So that’s not an issue.

So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making? :crazy:

Thanks!

mggray87 03-18-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan (Post 1596806562)
So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making? :crazy:

Thanks!

obd2 plug in now. No sniffer. Visual and plug in only. All they did on my vette last year

chain_5001 03-18-2018 05:48 PM

Last i heard was 2002+ cars get the visual & scanner to check for smog equipment operating. But yes, no tailpipe sniffer test.

ChrisVette11 03-18-2018 08:37 PM

I just had my 99 smogged and they hooked me up to the sniffer.