CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Talk me into it. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4127169-talk-me-into-it.html)

K2l2eve 04-16-2018 08:44 PM

Talk me into it.

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2. I was looking at a base model but I'll put 10k into it by the end and be no where near the ZO6. I could do the base model a little more comfortably but the Z looks tempting. Just wanted some input before I jump the gun and get slapped in the face with a payment on something I'm not in love with.

montman 04-17-2018 12:36 AM

I would not want a Z06 simply because the roof panel is not removable. Driving with the top off is half the fun of the car for me and my wife. You might find a Grand Sport which would be a bit less than a Z. Some of the Z cars had valve problems too. Good luck!

Torchsport 04-17-2018 12:40 AM

The heads make me nervous. :leaving:

ValegoC6 04-17-2018 07:01 AM

I agree, find a GS car. Love the removable roof, and if the heads aren't addressed on a Z then you are in deep trouble. I made a base 3LT car just as fast as a Z and was worth every penny.:rock:

GARYFINN 04-17-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597012477)
So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2. I was looking at a base model but I'll put 10k into it by the end and be no where near the ZO6. I could do the base model a little more comfortably but the Z looks tempting. Just wanted some input before I jump the gun and get slapped in the face with a payment on something I'm not in love with.

Get a nice base model with a manual and upgrade at your convenience.Remember in 2008 they bumped up the horsepower to 430.

C6ToGo 04-17-2018 07:38 AM

Confucius say: "How much can you afford after you take out 15% of your paycheck for retirement?"

03BlkZ 04-17-2018 08:19 AM

Test drive a standard base, a GS and then a Z06. You will want the Z I promise. The 427 is intoxicating and you will want no other. Addressing the heads is not that big of a deal if you are even a little mechanically inclined. It will cost you almost twice the ammount if you cant do the work yourself. Good luck!

Jeff T. 04-17-2018 08:24 AM

First off, welcome to the forum!! :thumbs:

Drive then both. I've had a targa, moonroof, sunroof for so long now I couldn't go with a solid roof.

Buy what makes you happy!

Good Luck!

Frankie15 04-17-2018 08:44 AM

I would highly recommend going for the Z06. I went with a base model at first as well because the Z06 was slightly out of my price range. I loved it, but I wanted a Z06 every time I saw a wide body C6 pull up next to me. I was always jealous. Don't get me wrong. The base C6 is still a fantastic car. The wide body panels really makes the car look so much better though. I was never interested in a GS. I wanted those awesome features that come with having a Z06 such as CF front fenders, balsa wood floorboard, lighter weight, and of course that magnificent 7k redline 427 engine.

Soon after getting the base C6, I started to want to do some mods to it. I was interested in things like side skirts, front splitter, and extended spoiler. I started to notice that these mods don't look as nice on the base model compared to the wide body C6. I also toyed around with getting my calipers powder coated red. I decided I didn't want to put all this money into it if it didn't look that great and if I was planning to get a Z06 once I was able to.

I ended up getting a higher paying job not too soon after that allowed me to get the car I always wanted. I had my previous C6 for just over a year, but I was planning to swap to a Z06 by around month 8 or 9. I spent several months looking for the perfect Z06 for me. I got my JSB Z06 last year in August and it's been smiles ever since. The only drawback is no removable roof, but it's not a huge deal for me being in Florida. It's usually far too hot to have the roof off. I would much rather have the LS7 than a removable roof anyways.

The heads issue is definitely real. I would highly recommend looking for one on the forums where the heads have already been fixed (what I did) or plan to spend roughly $2,000 to have this done. I was terrified at the thought of a valve dropping on the way home from buying it so I eventually decided that I only wanted to buy one where the fix was already done.

Best of luck with your decision. If you have the funds, go with the Z06. You won't regret it. Feel free to PM me if you have any Z06 related questions. Glad to help!

drew_c6 04-17-2018 08:45 AM

Since you stated that buying a Vette may stretch your available funds, something else to consider is service costs, repairs, and the cost of tires. If you have a lead foot, any of these will eat tires, but tires for the base model tend to be a fair bit cheaper than those on the GS/Z06 wide-bodies. As an example, here's a Discount Tire comparison of a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (one of the most popular tires for this car) between the narrow body (base) and wide body models (GS/Z06):

BASE~
Front: $218 ea
Back: $276 ea
Total: $988

Grand Sport / Z06~
Front: $268 ea
Rear: $473 ea
Total: $1,484

Keep in mind, this is one of the older/cheaper Pilot Super Sport tire models. Prices just go up from there.

jaredtxrx 04-17-2018 09:01 AM

If you are stretching your budget to get a Z06 just because then I would highly suggest getting a nice base. You don't want to be stuck unable to cover expenses such as tires and brakes and if something breaks the car is put up in the air for an unknown period of time. 430hp is a lot of power, especially in a 3300lbs car. BUT, it's only money right??

Landru 04-17-2018 09:07 AM

Don't need to be a rich man to own a C6 Z06, probably a good idea to be financially stable though.

Car isn't as 'cheap' to own/operate, per se.
Tires, brakes, insurance, normal maint and fuel --if a DD.
IF intending as a DD, where do you live? Snow?
Most Z06 owners have a 'winter' car, many more a DD taking mileage hit. Add a beater + insurance.
Place to store Z06, can't forget that.
Clutch goes? Bummer dude, -$2K.
Fuel pump(s) crap-out. Bummer dude. -$2K.
And as suggested good idea having heads rebuilt, $2-$5K, YMMV.
Dropped valve = many thousands to recover & reason behind taking proactive action w/ preventative head maint before a potential disaster has a chance to occur.
Somewhat unique to LS7, must-know stuff & not to be taken lightly.

Don't worry, you'll love it. LS7. Orig owner '08. Loved it every day of past 10 years.
In spite of a potential, and fixable, flaw LS7 will always be in a class of its own. Learn about LS7. Drive one. You'll love it, alright.
Would one make financial sense for a tip-n-tuck budget? :confused2:

:cheers:

Tonylmiller 04-17-2018 10:03 AM

Personally I have to have a convertible, but if you can stand the fixed roof, I would recommend the Z06. For me, there is just nothing like that LS7. I had a LS2 before and loved it, but there is no comparison.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

FAUEE 04-17-2018 11:25 AM

Honestly, I would advise against it. As others have said, it is an expensive car to operate. If your budget is 30k, you'e looking at high mileage cars that can likely turn into money pits.

Welker1 04-17-2018 11:37 AM

Personally, if you have to stretch your budget to buy a sports car, I would consider buy a daily beater and holding off until my financial situation improved. As someone else already pointed out, normal up keep (i.e. tires) alone can be expensive; if you run into a situation where you need repairs, the cost can get pretty steep fairly fast even if you are a DIYer.

That being said, I have a base with the Z51 and 3LT packages, love it and have never regretted getting it over the ZO6, mainly because I enjoy being able to have the top off (as it is right now). If you prefer the wide body, I would recommend going with GS; has basically the same styling as the ZO6, but costs less.

Good luck in your decision :cheers:

WestCyril 04-17-2018 12:22 PM

I to was saving up for 08+ C6Z but all the nice well documented ones are going for 38k+. The 28-32k C6Z are high mileage, rough condition, no documentation, and usually havent had the heads looked at or addressed. I opted for a 08 base that was much cheaper, and had some mods already done. I ended up getting the car for close to what I was planning on putting down on a C6Z..

Car still gets tons of looks, is a blast to drive, but doesn't have such a big price tag. Corvette are expensive machines to maintain and take car of regardless of model. Its never a good idea to heavily modify a car that is being financed either. My plans for the C6 are to make it a street car that makes 800+ so I didn't need all the bells and whistles, I didn't need to pay the extra cash for a creampuff never seen rain, snow, climate controlled vette. My car will be driven in any weather, it will be outside 80% of the time etc. I would go for a GS or Base

jdk541 04-17-2018 01:06 PM

I can't comment on your financial situation, because that is personal and only YOU can decide on how much to spend and still be comfortable.

But with respect to the car, if you are financially comfortable with the Z06, that (in my opinion) is the way to go. I have owned a coupe, two different Z06s and a Grand Sport. Hands down, the Z06 was the most fun to drive and the best of the bunch. But that was me, I really enjoyed the extra power, I don't need or want a removable roof. Ask yourself what is most important to you and drive them all before you decide.

Good Luck!

Dano523 04-17-2018 03:14 PM

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! is the car really worth the money I'm not the richest man but make enough to make my mortgage and pay the payment on the 30k car but won' have a ton left over after the 2.

A used vet is not for you.

They are expensive for upkeep, and going to find that out very quickly owning one instead.

Hence if you are going to own a vet, what you pay for it, and what you spend for its upkeep, better be from extra front pocket type money alone.

Hell, even on a vet that is still under warranty, there are items on the vet that are not covered under the warranty that are considered wear running cost items, and they get expensive in short order too.

Tires on a z06 will run you $2k per set. Brakes if the rotors needed to be replaced, another $2k. Clutch on a vet is $3K, and unless you find a garage queen, bank that the previous owner was hard on the car and only a matter of time before parts need replacing.

Bottom line, in regards to a used vet that has seen a multitude of owner, it not the vet was sold to buy a new vet, but most of the time the vet sold since the old owner could not afford the upkeep on the car isntead.

So barring finding a one owner garage queen/well kept car, what you end up on a used vet is a pile of problems that the old owner did not fix and why it was sold off, nor the dealer selling the car fixing all the problem before selling it, and your just buying someone else's problem to begin with.

Now I not saying that you can find a good used one owner vet to start with since they they are few and scares on an older C6's, but even finding such, your still going to have the upkeep costs that you have not budgeted for to start with..

Bottom line, if the motor goes south on a z06, your looking at $10K for a new one, and you better have at least twice that amount of money in your toy funds piggy bank money for if the time come up instead. If you don't blow a motor, then plan on the car nickle and dime'g you even once in a while for a few grand a pop isntead.

Bottom line, the vet is just another toy in the toy box, and you better have a lot of extra fun money not being put to any use (investment retire funds already covered) if you plan on owning a vet. Hence think of the vet at a boat, and just a hole in water that you pour/waste buckets of money at isntead.

Ssnobrakes 04-17-2018 03:27 PM

ummmmm........don't do it.

ruxvette 04-17-2018 04:23 PM

So I want to get a 2006-2012 C6 ZO6! ...30k car...

Just me but a $30k Z06 will be an '06-'08 with a ton of miles.

Lee Cromwell 04-17-2018 04:25 PM

You could also get a really really nice ... Forgive me here...C5 for so much less money . My best friend loves my c6 but couldn't find a nice one in his budget but he scored a really super nice Convertable C5 with only like 30k miles in mint shape... Hell i told him he shouldn't buy it, then i would have! He was smart and bought it, great car at half price a comparable C6 was

LowRyter 04-17-2018 04:44 PM

depends what you are after. Do you want a little more performance or will you be happy with a nice driving C6.

I was looking for Z51/GS w/stick and found a great deal on a base model w/stick. I am glad I got the base model since it's a daily driver. Handles great, power is great. Looks great. Just what I wanted but didn't know it.

pdac 04-17-2018 05:25 PM

I would just reset your expectations and look into a lower mileage Grand Sport. You will see that a 2012-13 GS is in the same price range as a higher mileage 2006 Z06 so you would be getting a 6-7 year newer car for about the same money. I agree with the others that the targa top is what makes the car so much fun for me. (I can't stand convertibles).
It's still plenty fast for practical use. It actually feels slower off the line than my last stock mustang GT due to the gearing but the style is what makes it so fun to drive.
It also really depends on how many miles you plan to put on it. I bought mine with 25k miles on it (a '12) and it had just had a brand new set of tires put on it. I don't really anticipate too many routine maintenance bills in the near future but you never know. I travel for work each week so I don't end up putting a lot of miles on it. Good luck with your decision. These cars are a great bang for the buck but they are definitely depreciating rapidly and you don't want to dig yourself into a hole.

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by C6ToGo (Post 1597014466)
Confucius say: "How much can you afford after you take out 15% of your paycheck for retirement?"

my job Matches 6% so essentially I'm putting away 12%

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruxvette (Post 1597018123)

I have one in sight that is an 09 with 57k miles for $28950. Victory Red. I really want red.

03BlkZ 04-17-2018 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruxvette (Post 1597018123)

Ha ha! Some of us have gotten extremely lucky. I just bought my 2008 Z06 with 15k miles for 30k. Now it was my father in laws so he gave me a nice deal on the garage queen but deals are definitely out there. They may not be a cream puff like mine but they are out there. Also my valve guides are out of spec and in work changing them now. Just shy of 2k in parts but I am doing g the work myself.:rock:

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ (Post 1597018871)
Ha ha! Some of us have gotten extremely lucky. I just bought my 2008 Z06 with 15k miles for 30k. Now it was my father in laws so he gave me a nice deal on the garage queen but deals are definitely out there. They may not be a cream puff like mine but they are out there. Also my valve guides are out of spec and in work changing them now. Just shy of 2k in parts but I am doing g the work myself.:rock:

if I got the Z06 I would be doing the head work myself. 2k isn't the end of the world but kind of wanted to enjoy it for a bit before diving in and investing more money.... man that is a steal with 15k miles not even broke in a little bit!

03BlkZ 04-17-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597018902)
if I got the Z06 I would be doing the head work myself. 2k isn't the end of the world but kind of wanted to enjoy it for a bit before diving in and investing more money.... man that is a steal with 15k miles not even broke in a little bit!

I only put about 6 miles on my car before going under the knife for heads. I'm not a gambling man.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f96593a689.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...231f0400a5.jpg

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ (Post 1597018934)
I only put about 6 miles on my car before going under the knife for heads. I'm not a gambling man.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f96593a689.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...231f0400a5.jpg

I will be doing the same if I go that route. I'
Gonna test a base soon and a Z I have one of each within 2 hrs of me. But it'll probably be the Z just dreading the FIX.

449er 04-17-2018 06:23 PM

You asked for our opinions, so here goes some tough love...You can't afford a C6 Corvette given the information that you posted, especially a ZO6, Don't get yourself in over your head for a car. What if you get sick, have a accident, lose your job? It happens every day to folks. Wait till such time when you have more disposable income

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1597019005)
You asked for our opinions, so here goes some tough love...You can't afford a C6 Corvette given the information that you posted, especially a ZO6, Don't get yourself in over your head for a car. What if you get sick, have a accident, lose your job? It happens every day to folks. Wait till such time when you have more disposable income

I really do appreciate the tough love. I have been looking at the 05-07 vette as well I could walk away paying cash. What are the thoughts on the ls2 cars.

03BlkZ 04-17-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597018983)
I will be doing the same if I go that route. I'
Gonna test a base soon and a Z I have one of each within 2 hrs of me. But it'll probably be the Z just dreading the FIX.

I am having fun and enjoying every minute of the work.

FAUEE 04-17-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597019051)
I really do appreciate the tough love. I have been looking at the 05-07 vette as well I could walk away paying cash. What are the thoughts on the ls2 cars.

Nothing wrong with an ls2 car at all. I'd much rather a paid for ls1 car than an ls7 car I might not be able to afford.

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1597019510)
Nothing wrong with an ls2 car at all. I'd much rather a paid for ls1 car than an ls7 car I might not be able to afford.

yeah I'm kinda leaning that way. I was gonna put down some on the Z so my payments would be low around $500. I was thinking get the ls2 car have fun with it for a while and save for the LS7 car in 3-4yrs.... I was reading it's not to hard to get the LS2 cars to 450-500rwhp. I know it won't be as steerable as an LS7 car and who knows maybe I'll enjoy it enough to not want a Z06. This car is gonna be a toy for me for the most part. My daily is a 04 Silverado SS and I love how comfortable it is for commuting.

C6KWJ 04-17-2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597019051)

I love my 2007 LS2 but it was already modded, full exhaust, cammed, and Calloway intake. It is a base model so suspension is next on my list and set of gears.

Buy yourself a 2008 if you can Z51 package you get bigger brakes, better suspension over base, and better transmission gearing.

S.C. vette 04-17-2018 08:38 PM

Find a nice unabused base with LS3 (best motor of the C6 generation) auto, and strong/clean car fax. Go to a GM dealer and have them download all maintenance records. Bottom line, find out if you really like the vette life before jumping into a Z06 or going into deep debt. Good luck! :cheers:

Frankie15 04-17-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by S.C. vette (Post 1597019965)
Find a nice unabused base with LS3 (best motor of the C6 generation) auto, and strong/clean car fax. Go to a GM dealer and have them download all maintenance records. Bottom line, find out if you really like the vette life before jumping into a Z06 or going into deep debt. Good luck! :cheers:

The LS3 is a fantastic engine and I owned an LS3 equipped C6. Definitely not better than the LS7 though even with the heads issue.

jonnyc 04-17-2018 10:39 PM

if i lived somewhere with no smog testing i would have bought a grandsport and done heads/cam and not worry about the ls7 head problem.but since i'm in california and it's getting almost impossible to mod,i ended up getting the z06 and dealing with the head issue.

have you thought about getting the base ls2 model for now,drive that for a couple years,then get into a c7 down the road?

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by C6KWJ (Post 1597019671)

I love my 2007 LS2 but it was already modded, full exhaust, cammed, and Calloway intake. It is a base model so suspension is next on my list and set of gears.

Buy yourself a 2008 if you can Z51 package you get bigger brakes, better suspension over base, and better transmission gearing.

Maybe I'll just put a good chunk Down and get a 2008 base or z51 instead of a Z06. I think I'll like ls3 vette. My buddy is just pumping me up on the Z06. I have seen them around $20k and the payments aren't to bad around $350 a month and if i put down 10k theyll be even lower leave room to save money for mods .

K2l2eve 04-17-2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyc (Post 1597020836)
if i lived somewhere with no smog testing i would have bought a grandsport and done heads/cam and not worry about the ls7 head problem.but since i'm in california and it's getting almost impossible to mod,i ended up getting the z06 and dealing with the head issue.

have you thought about getting the base ls2 model for now,drive that for a couple years,then get into a c7 down the road?

I've also thought about that with the c8 on the way and in 2 years it'll be even cheaper.

I have no smog here in sunny FLORIDA my SS is headers with no cats and straight thru mufflers dumped at the axles.

FAUEE 04-18-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by K2l2eve (Post 1597020863)
I've also thought about that with the c8 on the way and in 2 years it'll be even cheaper.

I have no smog here in sunny FLORIDA my SS is headers with no cats and straight thru mufflers dumped at the axles.

I would not bank on anything C8 related. It' all rumors and lies at this point, and when the c7 came out, c6 prices went UP, especially for lower mileage nice cars.

Tonylmiller 04-18-2018 11:12 AM

If you want to talk money, I would say don't stretch your finances for a sports car. I would never borrow money for a Corvette. Drive a Corolla or Miata and save up some money.

With that said, I think an early year C6 Z06 is one of the best values on the car market, period.

gtredlt4 04-18-2018 02:03 PM

All I can say is I love my 2009 Victory Red Z06. I haven't had one issue with it since I bought it. Granted she only has 18K miles on her but it's without question the best automobile I have ever owned. I haven't done anything with the heads but do have an extended warranty until 2020. All she wants to do is run - nothing I have ever driven is this light and this powerful. She always sounds great and I'm seriously itching to get her out (Michigan winter still here today). If you get one that hasn't been beaten to death you will not be disappointed. It truly is my dream car. 150 mph and she's not even working hard. Yes I have done normal maintenance, replaced all fluids at least once and tires can be expensive but man this car hauls ass!!