CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 Respect from a C7 owner (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4130753-c5-respect-from-a-c7-owner.html)

patentcad 04-25-2018 12:19 AM

C5 Respect from a C7 owner

I'm a C7 owner, I had a C6 before that. I saw a blue C5 the other day up here in Goshen, NY, one town over from where I live (I live in Chester, NY) and I have to say: the car was STUNNING.

Amazing how good these C5s look after 20 years.

Respect.

BarneyZ 04-25-2018 12:47 AM

:iagree: I know. That’s why I just bought one.

Rob 02 04-25-2018 05:03 AM

That is good to hear. There are a lot of C7's in my area cruising lately.
I have been wondering if the C5 looks dated.

patentcad 04-25-2018 05:24 AM

It only looks dated when you get a chance to look at it up close, from a distance or when you see it on the street or passing the car doesn't look dated at all.

Rob 02 04-25-2018 05:48 AM

I don't see a lot of older cars out at Jax beach. The C7 guys usually wave. I thought about upgrading to a C7 but I feel like I have other places to spend money now. I don't know.
I seen a lot of nice foreign cars in my area too, though I like American muscle.
Around Easter there was a cars and coffee. The beach was full of exotics. What ever car you had there was something there to make you feel humble.

The C5 makes me feel like more of an old school street rod guy.

Some dude pulled up in a nice new Z06 and parked. Next to him was a Lambo. It had me thinking.

I'm glad you posted this.

capevettes 04-25-2018 06:01 AM

:iagree: I have a C7 Z06 but could not resist buying a nice, low mileage C5 last year. The C5 styling still looks very modern and they are great drivers.
The C5 is the best bang for the buck, for sure.

Vetteman Jack 04-25-2018 07:58 AM

The C5 still turns heads after all these years. Good to see a newer generation owner recognize that while the C5 may not be the latest and greatest, it is still a great car that can be had at a great price.

yellow69RSZ 04-25-2018 08:05 AM

I just purchased a very well kept low mile C5 last weekend and couldn't be happier for the amount of car you get for little money!

charger21 04-25-2018 09:30 AM

The C7 has a lot of stuff that all started with the C5 platform.:thumbs:

jjc508520 04-25-2018 09:46 AM

For me the later ones look "ok" from the front - the problems are when you get around to the rear. I like to say "They went Cadillac on it" - going with the sharp edges that Caddy started with. Also can't buy off on the "black panel halfway up the rear before the color starts" and the "droopy-eye" tail-lights.

I did hear an interesting story about the demise of the flip-up headlights - supposedly in Europe "you must be able to communicate with other drivers by flashing your headlights" and flip-ups are not exactly useful in this area!

But then again - we can't do 200+ out the showroom door!

Just keep waving!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/th...1-hits-212-mph

striper 04-25-2018 10:13 AM

There is not that much of a performance deficit from a C5 Z06 to a C7 when you factor in the relative cost, especially when mildly modified. I still prefer the looks of my personal car to a C7, though the new ZR1 is growing on me. The C5 compared to other makes, why even bother thinking about it. I wouldn't mind having a Ferrari, but with the price and maintenance costs compared to my car, I passed on two used ones I could buy. I'll stick with my car. I get lots of compliments.

knewblewkorvette 04-25-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1597070773)
The C5 still turns heads after all these years. Good to see a newer generation owner recognize that while the C5 may not be the latest and greatest, it is still a great car that can be had at a great price.

:iagree:
Love my C5s

DetroitPlac 04-25-2018 10:45 AM

I'm actually surprised how many comments my C5 gets still. Drive-thrus, gas stations, etc. A number of people even ask if it's new! Seems that the C5 design is aging quite well. I personally love it.

bobs77vet 04-25-2018 11:02 AM

the c5 shape is pretty sweet and it all you can do to change it is add new dimensional body panels and new technology.

as for cars and coffee and feeling humbled....you should check out the new mclarens....and the new Acura NSX they are awesome

chasboy 04-25-2018 12:26 PM

OP, appreciate the kind words.
By your location, there's no reason you can't show up for the Bear Mountain Cruise Wednesday nites! :D Maybe we can meet up some time.:cheers:

apex26 04-25-2018 02:34 PM

A good running C5Z will keep the high buck, high horsepower guys honest on the track. Many a GT500, Hemi, high horsepower Camaro, Ferrari, Porsche turbo, BMW's, etc, have learned RESPECT for the unassuming C5Z that relentlessly hunts them down in the corners, and loses precious few car lengths on the straights--unless they are flat out at the limits. If they don't know their car--see ya! Some of the newest versions of those cars are harder to get around, but intake, headers and a tune will cause the C5Z to loom large in their mirrors once again. That reality is oblivious to the fact that my C5Z is a 2003, while their car is new--and with all their sophisticated nanny controls ALWAYS ON, while mine are ALWAYS OFF! You can't spend your way around a C5Z on the track, you have to drive your way around it!

The Rabbi 04-25-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rob 02 (Post 1597070297)
That is good to hear. There are a lot of C7's in my area cruising lately.
I have been wondering if the C5 looks dated.

Some like older vettes. I wouldn't give up my 100k miles vette for a new one.

chasboy 04-25-2018 03:08 PM

For me, I love old cars. However, I’ve always owned new, once we were in decent financial shape back in the 70’s. Since I’ve always wanted a hot car I like having the C5, which I got at a reasonable price and can feel free to do any customizing/modding I want without worrying about the $$$.
If I had a new one, I would be afraid to change anything and would just look at it.

grampi50 04-25-2018 04:01 PM

I gotta say the C7 is starting to grow on me. I never cared for their looks before, but I went to a car show this past weekend and there were quite a few C7s there. They are much more radical looking than the C5, but after seeing them up close I'm starting to like them. I still like the exterior looks of the C5 better, but the interior of the C7 rocks!. I also like the ass end and how the exhaust is featured...looks badass!

Pounder 04-25-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjc508520 (Post 1597071455)
For me the later ones look "ok" from the front - the problems are when you get around to the rear. I like to say "They went Cadillac on it" - going with the sharp edges that Caddy started with. Also can't buy off on the "black panel halfway up the rear before the color starts" and the "droopy-eye" tail-lights.

I did hear an interesting story about the demise of the flip-up headlights - supposedly in Europe "you must be able to communicate with other drivers by flashing your headlights" and flip-ups are not exactly useful in this area!

But then again - we can't do 200+ out the showroom door!

Just keep waving!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/th...1-hits-212-mph

(C7)my biggest dislike ///// the taillights should have and always be round, signature look of the Corvette !!!! IMO !!!!!