CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1971 amp gauge install (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4154524-1971-amp-gauge-install.html)

thelal1 06-20-2018 08:31 AM

1971 amp gauge install

What is the easiest way to replace amp gauge that is broke?

Ted

Easy Mike 06-20-2018 10:10 AM

Easiest would be to pay someone else to do it. I know of no easy way to get to the rear of the cluster without removing it.

thelal1 06-20-2018 11:02 AM

Amp gauge

So removing entire center console dash is only way, radio and all.

7T1vette 06-20-2018 11:11 AM

How do you know that the 'gauge' is what has failed? Your wiring connections could be defective, someone could have 'cabbaged-up' your wiring, a fusible link could be burned-out, etc.

You could test the meter without removing it from the cluster by locating the two feeder wires to that gauge, disconnecting one of them and momentarily touching a small 1.5v battery to those wires while watching for gauge movement. If the gauge needle moves, the gauge is probably OK. If it does not, you need to remove and repair/replace it.

The simplest place to get to those two wires is at the wiring bulkhead connector on the engine side. If you can read an electrical wiring schematic, you can locate those two wires coming out of the engine bulkhead connector.

I would estimate the odds of the gauge being the problem at 50%; one of the fusible links (there is a 20 awg orange fusible link connected to BOTH of those leads [one is inside the main wiring harness bundle and the other is at the horn relay]) 30%; and 20% probability going to other connected wiring {under dash or in engine compartment}.

It would be a shame to buy and swap out that gauge...only to find out that it was OK and the problem was elsewhere. :(

thelal1 06-20-2018 11:44 AM

Amp gauge

Needle broke off. That is why needs replaced.

thelal1 06-20-2018 11:45 AM

Amp gauge

Have two factory original gauges, amp and temp.

derekderek 06-20-2018 07:46 PM

Put a voltmeter in instead. Originality is nice. Being able to tell you have a charging system is nicer...

7T1vette 06-21-2018 12:37 AM

Sorry, but that's not the best idea for an early C3 car. The wiring is there for the ammeter; and an ammeter will tell you things that a voltmeter will not...if you know how to read it.

Not sure how the needle broke off (????). Hope it wasn't due to some wild fluctuations with the gauge. You could install a voltmeter; but you would need to re-route some of the wiring as the later C3's had.

thelal1 06-21-2018 02:05 AM

1971 amp gauge

Thanks, amp gauge is going to be installed.

bfit 06-21-2018 02:13 AM

Not that hard to do your self . Remove the map section of the dash
ie RHS then you can replace without removing the gauge panel .
Bfit

thelal1 06-21-2018 01:46 PM

Amp gauge

What is map side of dash,

thelal1 06-21-2018 02:19 PM

Map side

Have you ever changed that gauge by removing that side of dash?

bfit 06-21-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by thelal1 (Post 1597452178)
What is map side of dash,

passenger side dash section, glove box ,
Its easy to remove compared to removing the gauge panel.
bfit

thelal1 06-21-2018 07:06 PM

Amp gauge

Have you ever replaced one like this,? What should I be careful of..?

bfit 06-22-2018 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by thelal1 (Post 1597454445)

Yes I had mine out a few years back.
Before anything else
FIRST Disconnect the battery, both terminals

When you are ready to disconnect the cables of the back of the gauge ,
mark the cables, so you know which goes where , an easy method to use , get a few different coloured ( Spelling I'm Australian ) zip ties , and draw your self a map of where each wire goes .
Its a good idea to take photos,

Peterbuilt 06-22-2018 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by thelal1 (Post 1597454445)

Loosen these bottom nuts first (or at least after you disconnect the battery as said before):

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d38a371f60.jpg

ronarndt 06-23-2018 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by bfit (Post 1597453645)

passenger side dash section, glove box ,
Its easy to remove compared to removing the gauge panel.
bfit

If you just remove the passenger side dash panel, you will be able to see where the ammeter is, but the metal backing plate that covers all of the gauges must be removed to remove and re-install the ammeter. There isn't enough room to get your hand back there to undo the fasteners. You can loosen the center console and tilt it back toward the rear of the car to get room to work on it, but it is much easier to carefully label all of the wires, remove the panel and work on your work bench so you do not drop the little screws down in the console. When re-installing the ammeter make sure the insulating strips are installed one on the inside of the metal backing plate and one on the outside of the backing plate so the two terminals on the ammeter do not touch the metal backing. If the terminals touch the metal backing, you will have a dead short and melt the fusible link on either the black wire or the black/white stripe wire. and the gauge will not work. https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...83c70adce5.jpg

thelal1 06-23-2018 07:59 AM

Amp gauge

Noticed on oil gauge, it's wired. I thought on 71 it was oil line. May be wrong.
Thanks for the help. I have some small stickers and will take your advice.
Ted

ronarndt 06-23-2018 10:57 AM

"Noticed on oil gauge, it's wired. I thought on 71 it was oil line. " This is the back to just show the ammeter location and the metal backing plate that has to come off to replace the ammeter. On my 68 the oil pressure gauge has the small copper tubing. Not sure what year it changed to an electrical sending unit and electrical gauge.

62corvette 06-23-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thelal1 (Post 1597463540)
Noticed on oil gauge, it's wired. I thought on 71 it was oil line. May be wrong.
Thanks for the help. I have some small stickers and will take your advice.
Ted

You are correct. 71 has a plastic oil line.