CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4162199-salvage-car-auctions-what-to-look-for-with-body-damage.html)

The_Backmarker 07-09-2018 12:35 AM

Salvage Car Auctions - What To Look For with Body Damage?

Craigslist just isn't cutting it anymore (did it ever?) so I'm looking for a cheap salvage title C5 Corvette to build into a race car. A coworker recently introduced me to Copart.com (online listing of auctions for salvage titled/wrecked cars across the USA).

I'm not keen on flood-damaged cars but it seems that some C5 Corvettes have been declared a total loss with not a whole lot of body damage from a collision. What do I need to look for when considering a C5 that's been in a collision?

bobs77vet 07-09-2018 10:33 AM

most race cars need rigid and straight frames.......what kind of race a car do you want to build and how much of the electronics are you going to take out?

bj1888 07-09-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by bobs77vet (Post 1597561977)
most race cars need rigid and straight frames.......what kind of race a car do you want to build and how much of the electronics are you going to take out?

The front and rear crash bars are designed to be (relatively) easily replaced, but frame damage anywhere else will be a potential problem. The replacing the front wheel houses is also really involved (they're bonded in place).

The problem with Copart is that it's hard to actually see the car in person. You won't have a chance to do things like make sure the doors open and close without binding.

Phanni 07-09-2018 12:30 PM

With the cost of C-5s now, it takes very little damage for the insurance company to declare one a total loss. be careful about frame damage, but don't worry too much about body work damage. I've seen a 2004 C-5 Z06 with simply a busted up rocker panel, and rear quarter, get totaled. This was several years ago, it sold for around #15,000. Today, it'd likely be in the $10,000 range.

Kevova 07-09-2018 01:10 PM

I will take a flood car to build a racer over a wreck any day. A lot of coastal flood cars can be operational, insurance doesn't want to lifetime warranty electronics because of saltwater. Theft recovery partially stripped too. Limited parts availability has allowed some cars to be totalled with apparently minor damage. Hidden damage is the problem. Compart is the largest salvage operation in US. Its hurricane season so expect more salvage cars coming. With salvage cars you need to be sure it is not flagged to be destroyed on paperwork. Building a racer might not qualify as destroyed.

The_Backmarker 07-09-2018 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevova (Post 1597562976)
Building a racer might not qualify as destroyed.

Have you seen what happens to Spec Miata race cars? Two seasons and they pretty much qualify as destroyed! :lol:

ZFLASH 07-09-2018 08:55 PM

I find out tomorrow if mine is totalled or not, high water damaged. Nothing wrong with body or frame, simply beautiful. Engine and floorboards wet, L8R ZFLASHhttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...673135041d.jpg

Kevova 07-09-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker (Post 1597565556)
Have you seen what happens to Spec Miata race cars? Two seasons and they pretty much qualify as destroyed! :lol:

YouTube has videos where the cars don't make a pass or lap before they are done. I just recently heard about must be destroyed, just something to be aware of.

ohheyihaveaquestion 07-18-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker (Post 1597560614)
Craigslist just isn't cutting it anymore (did it ever?) so I'm looking for a cheap salvage title C5 Corvette to build into a race car. A coworker recently introduced me to Copart.com (online listing of auctions for salvage titled/wrecked cars across the USA).

I'm not keen on flood-damaged cars but it seems that some C5 Corvettes have been declared a total loss with not a whole lot of body damage from a collision. What do I need to look for when considering a C5 that's been in a collision?

I have had a lot of success with and found some great deals from Salvage Autos Auction and you do not need a dealer's license to use their site like you do with Copart. repairable salvage cars for sale