CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   my 72 Vette wiper door closes on wipers at different intervals (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4175609-my-72-vette-wiper-door-closes-on-wipers-at-different-intervals.html)

DC1972 08-12-2018 12:49 PM

my 72 Vette wiper door closes on wipers at different intervals

!972 Corvette wiper door closes on wipers at different positions. I have to keep trying to park them multiple times to get them close to parking in the full close position but rarely can get them in the perfect spot. Door closes quickly and does not wait until the wipers are fully down. Any suggestions as to the culprit.

kansas123 08-12-2018 02:07 PM

Did it just suddenly start acting like that? Any history on you working on that system?

mortgageguy 08-12-2018 03:47 PM

DC1972 08-12-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by kansas123 (Post 1597777717)
Did it just suddenly start acting like that? Any history on you working on that system?

no, it has been this way since I bought it back in January

TexVette01 08-12-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by DC1972 (Post 1597777340)
!972 Corvette wiper door closes on wipers at different positions. I have to keep trying to park them multiple times to get them close to parking in the full close position but rarely can get them in the perfect spot. Door closes quickly and does not wait until the wipers are fully down. Any suggestions as to the culprit.

This happened to me (also a 72) yesterday. Got caught in a thunderstorm and the wiper door would shut on the wiper arms at various positions pinching them not allowing them to sweep. Weird thing was when I let off the accelerator the wiper door would open back up and the wipers would return to normal but as soon as I got back on the throttle the door closed again. I'll be testing the various vacuum components this week and will post what I find.

kansas123 08-13-2018 08:26 AM

Sounds like it might be caused by the wiper door safety switch, which is underneath the passenger side wiper arm near it's pivot point. It tells the wiper door that the arms are parked and it's okay to close.

DC1972 08-13-2018 11:06 AM

I was thinking it was probably the safety switch also since it only close on the wiper arms when I turn the wipers off and not any other time. Is the safety switch vacuum controlled or electrical?

derekderek 08-13-2018 07:22 PM

Also, Tex, there is a one-way valve so you don't lose can vacuum when you hit the throttle. Yours is either blown or nonexsistant. Reminds me of school busses when I was a kid. Drivers had to lift off gas to make the vacuum wipers go.

DC1972 08-13-2018 07:31 PM

It is defiantly the safety switch under the wiper door, passenger side. It pretty much fell apart once I got to it. Does anyone know if the heater hot water shut off vacuum valve for 77 to 79 is the same as the wiper vacuum safety switch on the 72. they both look identical except the hot water valve is half the price for the one that is made in the USA.

kansas123 08-13-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DC1972 (Post 1597782435)
I was thinking it was probably the safety switch also since it only close on the wiper arms when I turn the wipers off and not any other time. Is the safety switch vacuum controlled or electrical?

It is a vacuum switch.

By the way, does the switch under the steering column work? The pull down knob on the right side of the large round knob controls the vacuum door: if you pull it down (with the car running), the vacuum door should open and stay open. The round knob turns the wipers off (so that you can stop them at the top of the cycle when you need to change the blades).

DC1972 08-13-2018 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by kansas123 (Post 1597786252)
It is a vacuum switch.

By the way, does the switch under the steering column work? The pull down knob on the right side of the large round knob controls the vacuum door: if you pull it down (with the car running), the vacuum door should open and stay open. The round knob turns the wipers off (so that you can stop them at the top of the cycle when you need to change the blades).

Not certain as I have already removed the wiper safety switch. For whatever reason I didn't realize the pull knob on the right moved, I was only aware on the knob to turn off the wipers. Still learning...
does the black knob on the left do anything?
I have had my hands full rebuilding the front suspension and steering componets. Now that that that is done I have finallyt been able to get it on the road and started on other fixes.

kansas123 08-14-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by DC1972 (Post 1597786890)
Not certain as I have already removed the wiper safety switch. For whatever reason I didn't realize the pull knob on the right moved, I was only aware on the knob to turn off the wipers. Still learning...
does the black knob on the left do anything?
I have had my hands full rebuilding the front suspension and steering componets. Now that that that is done I have finallyt been able to get it on the road and started on other fixes.

The black pull knob on the left is the override for pulling the headlights up/open. So that you can adjust them, change the headlights, things like that....

DC1972 08-14-2018 07:13 AM

Ok that makes perfect sense. I have ordered the vacuum safety switch, will know I a few days if that is the complete fix or not.

DC1972 08-17-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by kansas123 (Post 1597781546)
Sounds like it might be caused by the wiper door safety switch, which is underneath the passenger side wiper arm near it's pivot point. It tells the wiper door that the arms are parked and it's okay to close.

it was the safety switch. thanks for the help.