CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Cleaning Interior (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4190585-cleaning-interior.html)

alamo1974 09-20-2018 11:55 PM

Cleaning Interior

I have a 2016 3LT with Brownstone interior. What do you use to clean the dashboard and leather seats. Also, what do you use on the suede leather if any.
Thank You in advance

owc6 09-21-2018 12:05 AM

WELL,

I use just a damp MF cloth for the leather portions, and the "suede" portions are more tricky. The trim is a different fabric than the seat inserts. The trim is a true "fake suede" with all the attendant problems (it mats, it's hard to clean........). The seat inserts are awesome! Easy to clean, nothing sticks or stains (knock on wood). They don't mat .... My seats at just about 100,000 miles look practically new, but the armrests: not so much.

My leather portions still look brand new.

MMD 09-21-2018 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by alamo1974 (Post 1598022707)
I have a 2016 3LT with Brownstone interior. What do you use to clean the dashboard and leather seats. Also, what do you use on the suede leather if any.
Thank You in advance

For the leather I use https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premi...r-cleaner.html and for the fake suede I use Woolite (for delicate fabric) using 1/2 cup mixed in 1 gallon of warm/ hot water. Use a medium density microfiber towel to clean. Wet towel in mixture and squeeze out excess solution to dampen microfiber and then scrub fake suede thouroughly. Wipe suede with a dry microfiber towel to soak up excess wetness. After you clean let it dry about a day and then comb it with a medium bristle brush. Cleans very well and looks like new when done. This is my solution and works well for me. Other posters may have other recommendations.

Mayor111 09-21-2018 07:30 AM

Im in the Meguiars "camp" for all my cleaning products - this does a nice job cleaning the leather, and gives it a very minor shine (not wet looking). If you dont want any shine, just wipe off with a soft, dry towel once your done cleaning:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dcba27c101.jpg

dvilin 09-21-2018 07:43 AM

A damp micro fiber towel will do the job. But I like Aerospace 303 nice natural finish and has UV protection.

2K14C7 09-21-2018 08:11 AM

I use Areospace 303 also. Good stuff.

Mr. Wonderful 09-21-2018 10:21 AM

I believe the "suede" you are referring to is microfiber, which is very easily cleaned.

Roastum1 09-21-2018 10:23 AM

303 leaves no greasy mess and protects

George_L 09-21-2018 11:06 AM

I haven't been able to find any evidence that leather products are beneficial on the leather areas other than smell. I don't have microfiber inserts. Today's Corvette leather (1LT, 2LT and 3LT) have a sealed coating that doesn't allow products to be absorbed. There are numerous threads on this topic with opinions all over the place. I contacted Adam's Polish's and they didn't respond. The manual says to use a mild soap and water. Many owners feel that a diluted Woolite mixture works well. I use ivory soap and water, but my interior doesn't get very dirty. If I could find proof that a leather conditioner works (actually being absorbed) I would use it in a heartbeat. I know that the detailing product sellers monitor this forum. I welcome them to chime in and give us some proof that their products are beneficial with a discussion on how their products penetrate the coating. If you are going to use a product, pick some that people have actually used on the forum and test an inconspicuous spot. Many of the threads talk about problems with discoloration, haze and streaking with certain product. I believe that most products will not cause any damage but that they only stay on the surface and don't provide any benefit. Just my opinion, don't beat me up for it. Good luck.

MMD 09-21-2018 11:37 AM

There are many professional detailers all across the country that use leather products to clean and condition leather. These folks have extensive real world knowledge on this subject. One of the more prominent auto detailers in the US is Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is a prolific detailer and well recognized as an industry expert. Mike firmly believes there are leather products that do work to clean and condition automotive application leathers. If Mike says this is true then this is good enough for me.

JMII 09-21-2018 11:59 AM

My wife uses this natural stuff called Mrs. Meyer's around the house, its organic and non-toxic so I figured it was safe... plus it smells good. I tried it on my 3LT Brownstone and seemed to do a good job of lifting dirt off the seats and dust off the dash without leaving any residue behind.

The challenge with the 3LT interior is the mix of surfaces. I find it hard to ensure whatever you chose to clean the leather (for example) doesn't get into the suede. Like George L said above the leather has a plastic coating so most leather products aren't going to really help. Thus in my mind an all purpose general cleaner is the way to go. When it comes to carpet / floor mats my go-to is Tuff Stuff. However its pretty strong (hence the name) so I would be worried it might might pull color off the suede or damage the leather coating.

papillion 09-21-2018 12:28 PM

Sorry

Originally Posted by MMD (Post 1598024727)
There are many professional detailers all across the country that use leather products to clean and condition leather. These folks have extensive real world knowledge on this subject. One of the more prominent auto detailers in the US is Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is a prolific detailer and well recognized as an industry expert. Mike firmly believes there are leather products that do work to clean and condition automotive application leathers. If Mike says this is true then this is good enough for me.

From one Mike about another Mike. If Autogeek Mike says leather conditioner will benefit the leather seats in a C7, he is clueless in Seattle. I'd run not walk away from his advice.

chucky7 09-21-2018 01:31 PM

leather cleaner

I have always bought some expensive leather sofas for several years. Specifically Scan Designs which sells high end leather furniture from Denmark. When I bought them the store told me to only use a microfiber cloth and diluted ivory liquid dishwashing soap solution, then wipe off with clean damp microfiber. This has always been my favorite. It will take off ink, blood, dirt, grime without hurting the leather. It works like a charm and never ever hurts the leather.

N2TU 09-21-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MMD (Post 1598024727)

good info...but not enough proof for me. While I trust the vendors, I trust the members of the Forum even more!.....