Sponsored by:

Cleaning Interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Cleaning Interior

I have a 2016 3LT with Brownstone interior. What do you use to clean the dashboard and leather seats. Also, what do you use on the suede leather if any.
Thank You in advance
Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

WELL,

I use just a damp MF cloth for the leather portions, and the "suede" portions are more tricky. The trim is a different fabric than the seat inserts. The trim is a true "fake suede" with all the attendant problems (it mats, it's hard to clean........). The seat inserts are awesome! Easy to clean, nothing sticks or stains (knock on wood). They don't mat .... My seats at just about 100,000 miles look practically new, but the armrests: not so much.

My leather portions still look brand new.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by alamo1974
I have a 2016 3LT with Brownstone interior. What do you use to clean the dashboard and leather seats. Also, what do you use on the suede leather if any.
Thank You in advance
For the leather I use https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premi...r-cleaner.html and for the fake suede I use Woolite (for delicate fabric) using 1/2 cup mixed in 1 gallon of warm/ hot water. Use a medium density microfiber towel to clean. Wet towel in mixture and squeeze out excess solution to dampen microfiber and then scrub fake suede thouroughly. Wipe suede with a dry microfiber towel to soak up excess wetness. After you clean let it dry about a day and then comb it with a medium bristle brush. Cleans very well and looks like new when done. This is my solution and works well for me. Other posters may have other recommendations.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

Im in the Meguiars "camp" for all my cleaning products - this does a nice job cleaning the leather, and gives it a very minor shine (not wet looking). If you dont want any shine, just wipe off with a soft, dry towel once your done cleaning:

Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

A damp micro fiber towel will do the job. But I like Aerospace 303 nice natural finish and has UV protection.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
ATC (09-21-2018), N2TU (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I use Areospace 303 also. Good stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2K14C7:
ATC (09-21-2018), N2TU (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I believe the "suede" you are referring to is microfiber, which is very easily cleaned.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 303

303 leaves no greasy mess and protects
Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 394 Posts

I haven't been able to find any evidence that leather products are beneficial on the leather areas other than smell. I don't have microfiber inserts. Today's Corvette leather (1LT, 2LT and 3LT) have a sealed coating that doesn't allow products to be absorbed. There are numerous threads on this topic with opinions all over the place. I contacted Adam's Polish's and they didn't respond. The manual says to use a mild soap and water. Many owners feel that a diluted Woolite mixture works well. I use ivory soap and water, but my interior doesn't get very dirty. If I could find proof that a leather conditioner works (actually being absorbed) I would use it in a heartbeat. I know that the detailing product sellers monitor this forum. I welcome them to chime in and give us some proof that their products are beneficial with a discussion on how their products penetrate the coating. If you are going to use a product, pick some that people have actually used on the forum and test an inconspicuous spot. Many of the threads talk about problems with discoloration, haze and streaking with certain product. I believe that most products will not cause any damage but that they only stay on the surface and don't provide any benefit. Just my opinion, don't beat me up for it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

There are many professional detailers all across the country that use leather products to clean and condition leather. These folks have extensive real world knowledge on this subject. One of the more prominent auto detailers in the US is Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is a prolific detailer and well recognized as an industry expert. Mike firmly believes there are leather products that do work to clean and condition automotive application leathers. If Mike says this is true then this is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

My wife uses this natural stuff called Mrs. Meyer's around the house, its organic and non-toxic so I figured it was safe... plus it smells good. I tried it on my 3LT Brownstone and seemed to do a good job of lifting dirt off the seats and dust off the dash without leaving any residue behind.

The challenge with the 3LT interior is the mix of surfaces. I find it hard to ensure whatever you chose to clean the leather (for example) doesn't get into the suede. Like George L said above the leather has a plastic coating so most leather products aren't going to really help. Thus in my mind an all purpose general cleaner is the way to go. When it comes to carpet / floor mats my go-to is Tuff Stuff. However its pretty strong (hence the name) so I would be worried it might might pull color off the suede or damage the leather coating.

Last edited by JMII; 09-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by MMD
There are many professional detailers all across the country that use leather products to clean and condition leather. These folks have extensive real world knowledge on this subject. One of the more prominent auto detailers in the US is Mike Phillips of Autogeek. He is a prolific detailer and well recognized as an industry expert. Mike firmly believes there are leather products that do work to clean and condition automotive application leathers. If Mike says this is true then this is good enough for me.
From one Mike about another Mike. If Autogeek Mike says leather conditioner will benefit the leather seats in a C7, he is clueless in Seattle. I'd run not walk away from his advice.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default leather cleaner

I have always bought some expensive leather sofas for several years. Specifically Scan Designs which sells high end leather furniture from Denmark. When I bought them the store told me to only use a microfiber cloth and diluted ivory liquid dishwashing soap solution, then wipe off with clean damp microfiber. This has always been my favorite. It will take off ink, blood, dirt, grime without hurting the leather. It works like a charm and never ever hurts the leather.

Last edited by chucky7; 09-21-2018 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
N2TU (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:20 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD
good info...but not enough proof for me. While I trust the vendors, I trust the members of the Forum even more!.....

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning Interior

Quick Reply: Cleaning Interior