CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   once a week (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4198847-once-a-week.html)

dogfroggie 10-10-2018 09:41 AM

once a week

my c5 has 57,000 miles on it and I only drive it once a week I know that it is a shame! what are the precautions I should take in that?
Thank You All

TinkersVet 10-10-2018 09:55 AM

Drive it 6 days a week.

boostedfury 10-10-2018 10:06 AM

Battery tender will save your battery!

Vetteman Jack 10-10-2018 10:32 AM

If you drive the car for a reasonable distance each time you get behind the wheel, you shouldn’t have any problems driving the car once a week. Keeping it on a Battery Tender, as recommended above, will help with the battery.

And yes, driving it more often is a good thing.

naturaldisaster3 10-10-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TinkersVet (Post 1598134294)
Drive it 6 days a week.

:iagree:

Velocity_Vette 10-10-2018 12:11 PM

Drive it more. Find excuses to drive it more. Don't worry about it being in weather (mine sees rain, snow, dirt, etc. That's why soap was invented). It won't last forever. Etc, etc.

Also get a tender.

RSbeast 10-10-2018 12:56 PM

I think I drive mine once every two weeks...

probably shouldn’t own it

StocktonC7GS 10-10-2018 01:19 PM

Mine sees the road once a week as well....but that one time is usually a few hours....plugged in on a trickle charger the rest of the time.

FreeC5inAZ 10-10-2018 01:42 PM

I have never understood the concept of owning a car and not driving it, especially a performance car. But I'm also the guy (If I had the money) that would buy a restored big block C2 at an auction and roast the tires out of the parking lot driving it home.

These were meant to be driven.

Route99 10-10-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by FreeC5inAZ (Post 1598135917)
I have never understood the concept of owning a car and not driving it, especially a performance car. But I'm also the guy (If I had the money) that would buy a restored big block C2 at an auction and roast the tires out of the parking lot driving it home.

No point in sitting on a typical C5 Corvette.

If this were the Harvest Gold 1955 Corvette Elfi Arkus-Duntov drove, or the 1989 vert that Zora owned (the only one titled in his name), they would be something to hide away. If I had one of those two Vettes, I would have them in a climate controlled, bomb proof, sink hole proof, burglar proof garage with filtered air. :D

However, what most of us have is an eminently drivable car that’s fun to drive. I'm with TinkersVet, Velocity_Vette and others. Drive, drive, drive! Smiling and waving while you drive! :steering:

Fcar 98 10-10-2018 02:16 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e44e67ccdf.jpg
This is my car that i bought 21 years ago. It has 48000 miles. It looks and runs better than the day i brought it home. I know its hard for some people to believe i don't drive it a lot. It is my first and last corvette. No plans to get rid of it any time soon. I might drive it on average about twice a month during the summer. maybe once or twice during the whole winter. i do nothing special to it. During the winter, full tank of fuel,5 more pounds of air and thats it. New battery every 5 year

RSbeast 10-10-2018 05:20 PM

i drive other toys. The c5 and the 69 hold down the floor. I’m in my Miata 99% of the time.

Frank4202 10-10-2018 07:07 PM

Im in the same boat. Mine is up for sale though lol.

msandym 10-10-2018 07:25 PM

Daily Driver . I’m retired so no reason not to . I love it , wont drive anything else .

dhorner77 10-11-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Route99 (Post 1598136081)
No point in sitting on a typical C5 Corvette.

If this were the Harvest Gold 1955 Corvette Elfi Arkus-Duntov drove, or the 1989 vert that Zora owned (the only one titled in his name), they would be something to hide away. If I had one of those two Vettes, I would have them in a climate controlled, bomb proof, sink hole proof, burglar proof garage with filtered air. :D

However, what most of us have is an eminently drivable car that’s fun to drive. I'm with TinkersVet, Velocity_Vette and others. Drive, drive, drive! Smiling and waving while you drive! :steering:

I get why your saying this, but why own the cars if your not going to drive them? (My thoughts anyway) If it's because they go down in value, cars are a historically horrible thing to invest in so you shouldn't be looking at these for that. They are meant to be driven.

Not driving a car because it needs to be preserved is like not f#cking your girl so she stays tight for the next guy.

But to be fair, there is very little chance I will ever own something that's so rare or "important" so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Except to me;)

FreeC5inAZ 10-11-2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RSbeast (Post 1598137100)

i drive other toys. The c5 and the 69 hold down the floor. I’m in my Miata 99% of the time.

Why would you drive a Miata over a C5? I wouldn't ever think that someone who owned a C5 would even own a Miata...lol

aj98 10-11-2018 04:37 PM

These were meant to be driven

I didn’t understand either - until I collected more than one car.
Now that I have, here’s some of my reasons why (any given car) goes undriven for an extended length of time:

because I am running late and my GFs van is blocking me in the driveway
because another vehicle has more gas (and backtracking to the gas station will make me late to work.)
a tank of gas lasts 2 weeks no matter which car I drive, so I can go 4+ weeks if I drive them sequentially.
because I don’t feel like rowing gears at that particular time.
Spoiled by HIDs - Before I put in the Bi-Xenons in the 5, I’d take the car with HIDs.
because I need to move more people (or stuff) than the car can accommodate.
becasue the weather is nasty, and better suited for the SUV.
beause one (or more) stops is not someplace I want to leave the vette exposed.
because someone else is driving
And my first world dilemma - I cant decide between driving the 5 or the 7 (its a tougher choice than you may think)

C5 4me 10-11-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dhorner77 (Post 1598140356)
I get why your saying this, but why own the cars if your not going to drive them? (My thoughts anyway) If it's because they go down in value, cars are a historically horrible thing to invest in so you shouldn't be looking at these for that. They are meant to be driven.

Not driving a car because it needs to be preserved is like not f#cking your girl so she stays tight for the next guy.

But to be fair, there is very little chance I will ever own something that's so rare or "important" so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Except to me;)

That line made me LMAO at work!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

RSbeast 10-11-2018 11:37 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...096d05d77.jpeg

Originally Posted by FreeC5inAZ (Post 1598141681)
Why would you drive a Miata over a C5? I wouldn't ever think that someone who owned a C5 would even own a Miata...lol

I’m an automotive enthusiast; not a homophobe. My Miata sees way more track time than my c5. Its a blast to drive; like a giant go kart. Inputs are light, the car sticks like glue. I’ll lead c5z through the twisties all day.

The c5 is heavy input unless you are flying around. Isn’t as ‘playful’. It’s also always on either polished wheels or slicks; so it can’t see elements much. I feel pretentious running errands in it. It’s low and not very friendly for day to day.

The c5 also shares its sunny days with my old Stingray. Unless I’m trying to go ‘fast’ or far, I’ll roll the old car. To me c5s aren’t special. Always see them ragged out and driven by white haired men; usually on chrome reps with matching taillight louvers. I had it listed twice for sell and regret not letting it leave. If I replace it, it’ll be either a blown Lotus Elise or a Viper.

FreeC5inAZ 10-12-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by aj98 (Post 1598142856)

I didn’t understand either - until I collected more than one car.
Now that I have, here’s some of my reasons why (any given car) goes undriven for an extended length of time:

because I am running late and my GFs van is blocking me in the driveway
because another vehicle has more gas (and backtracking to the gas station will make me late to work.)
a tank of gas lasts 2 weeks no matter which car I drive, so I can go 4+ weeks if I drive them sequentially.
because I don’t feel like rowing gears at that particular time.
Spoiled by HIDs - Before I put in the Bi-Xenons in the 5, I’d take the car with HIDs.
because I need to move more people (or stuff) than the car can accommodate.
becasue the weather is nasty, and better suited for the SUV.
beause one (or more) stops is not someplace I want to leave the vette exposed.
because someone else is driving
And my first world dilemma - I cant decide between driving the 5 or the 7 (its a tougher choice than you may think)

But you are still driving them...you aren't "preserving" any of them. I go through the same process with my Jeep, C5 and dually. While I try to drive each of them at least once per week on my commute to work, sometimes one of them will sit for a couple weeks for whatever reason. But they all still get driven.