Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

once a week

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 AM
dogfroggie

Default once a week

my c5 has 57,000 miles on it and I only drive it once a week I know that it is a shame! what are the precautions I should take in that?
Thank You All
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM
TinkersVet

Drive it 6 days a week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinkersVet For This Useful Post:
digitaloutsider (10-10-2018), FreeC5inAZ (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 AM
boostedfury
CF Senior Member

Battery tender will save your battery!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,394 Times in 3,009 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you drive the car for a reasonable distance each time you get behind the wheel, you shouldn’t have any problems driving the car once a week. Keeping it on a Battery Tender, as recommended above, will help with the battery.

And yes, driving it more often is a good thing.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM
naturaldisaster3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TinkersVet View Post
Drive it 6 days a week.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Velocity_Vette
CF Senior Member

Drive it more. Find excuses to drive it more. Don't worry about it being in weather (mine sees rain, snow, dirt, etc. That's why soap was invented). It won't last forever. Etc, etc.

Also get a tender.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM
RSbeast
CF Senior Member

I think I drive mine once every two weeks...

probably shouldnít own it
Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM
MantecaC5
CF Member

Mine sees the road once a week as well....but that one time is usually a few hours....plugged in on a trickle charger the rest of the time.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 PM
FreeC5inAZ

I have never understood the concept of owning a car and not driving it, especially a performance car. But I'm also the guy (If I had the money) that would buy a restored big block C2 at an auction and roast the tires out of the parking lot driving it home.

These were meant to be driven.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Route99
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-Ď18

Originally Posted by FreeC5inAZ View Post
I have never understood the concept of owning a car and not driving it, especially a performance car. But I'm also the guy (If I had the money) that would buy a restored big block C2 at an auction and roast the tires out of the parking lot driving it home.

No point in sitting on a typical C5 Corvette.

If this were the Harvest Gold 1955 Corvette Elfi Arkus-Duntov drove, or the 1989 vert that Zora owned (the only one titled in his name), they would be something to hide away. If I had one of those two Vettes, I would have them in a climate controlled, bomb proof, sink hole proof, burglar proof garage with filtered air.

However, what most of us have is an eminently drivable car thatís fun to drive. I'm with TinkersVet, Velocity_Vette and others. Drive, drive, drive! Smiling and waving while you drive!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Fcar 98
CF Senior Member

This is my car that i bought 21 years ago. It has 48000 miles. It looks and runs better than the day i brought it home. I know its hard for some people to believe i don't drive it a lot. It is my first and last corvette. No plans to get rid of it any time soon. I might drive it on average about twice a month during the summer. maybe once or twice during the whole winter. i do nothing special to it. During the winter, full tank of fuel,5 more pounds of air and thats it. New battery every 5 year
The Following User Says Thank You to Fcar 98 For This Useful Post:
Yello95 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:20 PM
RSbeast
CF Senior Member

i drive other toys. The c5 and the 69 hold down the floor. Iím in my Miata 99% of the time.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Frank4202
CF Senior Member

Im in the same boat. Mine is up for sale though lol.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 PM
msandym
CF Senior Member

Daily Driver . I’m retired so no reason not to . I love it , wont drive anything else .
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM
dhorner77

Originally Posted by Route99 View Post

No point in sitting on a typical C5 Corvette.

If this were the Harvest Gold 1955 Corvette Elfi Arkus-Duntov drove, or the 1989 vert that Zora owned (the only one titled in his name), they would be something to hide away. If I had one of those two Vettes, I would have them in a climate controlled, bomb proof, sink hole proof, burglar proof garage with filtered air.

However, what most of us have is an eminently drivable car thatís fun to drive. I'm with TinkersVet, Velocity_Vette and others. Drive, drive, drive! Smiling and waving while you drive!
I get why your saying this, but why own the cars if your not going to drive them? (My thoughts anyway) If it's because they go down in value, cars are a historically horrible thing to invest in so you shouldn't be looking at these for that. They are meant to be driven.

Not driving a car because it needs to be preserved is like not f#cking your girl so she stays tight for the next guy.

But to be fair, there is very little chance I will ever own something that's so rare or "important" so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Except to me
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM
FreeC5inAZ

Originally Posted by RSbeast View Post

i drive other toys. The c5 and the 69 hold down the floor. Iím in my Miata 99% of the time.
Why would you drive a Miata over a C5? I wouldn't ever think that someone who owned a C5 would even own a Miata...lol
Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM
aj98
CF Senior Member

These were meant to be driven
I didnít understand either - until I collected more than one car.
Now that I have, hereís some of my reasons why (any given car) goes undriven for an extended length of time:

because I am running late and my GFs van is blocking me in the driveway
because another vehicle has more gas (and backtracking to the gas station will make me late to work.)
a tank of gas lasts 2 weeks no matter which car I drive, so I can go 4+ weeks if I drive them sequentially.
because I donít feel like rowing gears at that particular time.
Spoiled by HIDs - Before I put in the Bi-Xenons in the 5, Iíd take the car with HIDs.
because I need to move more people (or stuff) than the car can accommodate.
becasue the weather is nasty, and better suited for the SUV.
beause one (or more) stops is not someplace I want to leave the vette exposed.
because someone else is driving
And my first world dilemma - I cant decide between driving the 5 or the 7 (its a tougher choice than you may think)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 PM
C5 4me
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhorner77 View Post
I get why your saying this, but why own the cars if your not going to drive them? (My thoughts anyway) If it's because they go down in value, cars are a historically horrible thing to invest in so you shouldn't be looking at these for that. They are meant to be driven.

Not driving a car because it needs to be preserved is like not f#cking your girl so she stays tight for the next guy.

But to be fair, there is very little chance I will ever own something that's so rare or "important" so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Except to me
That line made me LMAO at work!!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 PM
RSbeast
CF Senior Member

Why would you drive a Miata over a C5? I wouldn't ever think that someone who owned a C5 would even own a Miata...lol
Iím an automotive enthusiast; not a homophobe. My Miata sees way more track time than my c5. Its a blast to drive; like a giant go kart. Inputs are light, the car sticks like glue. Iíll lead c5z through the twisties all day.

The c5 is heavy input unless you are flying around. Isnít as Ďplayfulí. Itís also always on either polished wheels or slicks; so it canít see elements much. I feel pretentious running errands in it. Itís low and not very friendly for day to day.

The c5 also shares its sunny days with my old Stingray. Unless Iím trying to go Ďfastí or far, Iíll roll the old car. To me c5s arenít special. Always see them ragged out and driven by white haired men; usually on chrome reps with matching taillight louvers. I had it listed twice for sell and regret not letting it leave. If I replace it, itíll be either a blown Lotus Elise or a Viper.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:14 PM
FreeC5inAZ

Originally Posted by aj98 View Post

I didnít understand either - until I collected more than one car.
Now that I have, hereís some of my reasons why (any given car) goes undriven for an extended length of time:

because I am running late and my GFs van is blocking me in the driveway
because another vehicle has more gas (and backtracking to the gas station will make me late to work.)
a tank of gas lasts 2 weeks no matter which car I drive, so I can go 4+ weeks if I drive them sequentially.
because I donít feel like rowing gears at that particular time.
Spoiled by HIDs - Before I put in the Bi-Xenons in the 5, Iíd take the car with HIDs.
because I need to move more people (or stuff) than the car can accommodate.
becasue the weather is nasty, and better suited for the SUV.
beause one (or more) stops is not someplace I want to leave the vette exposed.
because someone else is driving
And my first world dilemma - I cant decide between driving the 5 or the 7 (its a tougher choice than you may think)
But you are still driving them...you aren't "preserving" any of them. I go through the same process with my Jeep, C5 and dually. While I try to drive each of them at least once per week on my commute to work, sometimes one of them will sit for a couple weeks for whatever reason. But they all still get driven.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: