CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Navigation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4210317-navigation.html)

Bob A. 11-08-2018 12:49 PM

Navigation

Is it possible to add the stock navigation equipment to my 2019 Stingray at a later date? I believe there is a YouTube video that shows it. I don’t want aftermarket equipment. Thanks in advance!

Bavaria 11-08-2018 01:10 PM

For a fraction of the cost, get a Garmin, plug it in behind the info screen, and you're all set.

red 1 11-08-2018 01:31 PM

The answer is yes , check https://digital-dash-solutions.com/p...ation-upgrade/ and contact them it shows through 18 but it prob works for 19 also

Rebel Yell 11-08-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by red 1 (Post 1598301897)
The answer is yes , check https://digital-dash-solutions.com/p...ation-upgrade/ and contact them it shows through 18 but it prob works for 19 also

:iagree: I have seen a YouTube video on installation of this unit. It seems to be an easy install. The only problem I would have is that I don't bend as well as I used too. :D

oemtech 11-08-2018 03:02 PM

Doesn't your radio support Android auto or Apple Car Play. Google Maps or Waze are better than most in-dash Nav's, Garmin or TomTom and you don't pay for updates.

2019z06 11-08-2018 03:49 PM

hope this helps. found a post from this site.

C7 afterthought Nav-yes, you can have Nav

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-have-nav.html

also, a youtube vid of the install -

Vetteman Jack 11-09-2018 12:03 AM

That looks fairly simple to install. Thanks for sharing the video.

Skid Row Joe 11-09-2018 01:45 AM

Both, the C7 upgraded & integrated NAV, HUD and PDR, are invaluable. I use ALL of them on a daily basis whenever driving my 2017 C7. Easy decision to choose them when buying a new C7. 👍

rrsperry 11-09-2018 07:25 AM

Yes you can, but why? Your car is Apple Carplay and Android Auto capible. Just get a smartphone and call it a day. (unless you live in the absolute boondocks and don't have cell phone service.)

Ok, that said, PDR is pretty cool. But that a whole nother level of expense to try to retrofit that. It's just easier to buy the car with pdr/nav in the first place.

defaria 11-09-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rrsperry (Post 1598305926)
Yes you can, but why? Your car is Apple Carplay and Android Auto capible. Just get a smartphone and call it a day. (unless you live in the absolute boondocks and don't have cell phone service.)

If you live in the boonies you need only download a map of your area in AA (I have no idea on CP) when connected to wifi at your house.

Are you sure you can use AA without the factory NAV? I'm not sure about that. I have the factory NAV but rarely use it opting instead for AA.

speed4tu 11-09-2018 09:39 AM

I have the factory nav/pdr and never use either one of them. Waze and google maps on carplay are far better in terms of ease of use and routing. Even before Waze came to carplay i just used it on my cell phone.

defaria 11-09-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by speed4tu (Post 1598306554)
I have the factory nav/pdr and never use either one of them. Waze and google maps on carplay are far better in terms of ease of use and routing. Even before Waze came to carplay i just used it on my cell phone.

My use case for the factory NAV is I'm out in the mountains hiking and my phone runs out of battery. I get to my car and I can at least navigate home with the factory NAV as my cell phone starts charging. Otherwise I would need to sit there for a while as my phone gets enough juice to be able run AA and GM...

Patman 11-09-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by speed4tu (Post 1598306554)

I didn't get factory NAV, but I don't miss it at all as I was using Apple's map feature at first and now that Waze is compatible with Carplay I use that instead. Factory NAV is nowhere near as good as Waze for it's real time reporting of accidents, police presence, etc, or re routing you around bad traffic. Factory NAV just tells you how to get there, Waze tells you how to get there faster!

joemessman 11-09-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1598306763)
I didn't get factory NAV, but I don't miss it at all as I was using Apple's map feature at first and now that Waze is compatible with Carplay I use that instead. Factory NAV is nowhere near as good as Waze for it's real time reporting of accidents, police presence, etc, or re routing you around bad traffic. Factory NAV just tells you how to get there, Waze tells you how to get there faster!

I like Waze, but where I live hardly anyone uses it. It is great in the Urban areas populated by hipsters, but around here there are a lot of seniors that aren't up with the technology. I drive a little "spirited" at times and it's nice to see where the cops are.

defaria 11-09-2018 10:23 AM

Waze is not that accurate WRT police reports - see Android Auto with Google Maps (GM) vs Android Auto with Waze. Plus there's a lot of very useful (I'd say invaluable) functionality that Waze lacks especially WRT Google Maps. If GM and Waze had functionality parity I'd use Waze. And this is in Phoenix, which is in the top 10 of US cities population-wise though I admit I don't live downtown.

SCCA VETTE 11-09-2018 12:37 PM

Can you get the PDR to be functional in a non-PDR car? If you can come up with a kit to make it work you will sell them like crazy.

jimmbbo 11-09-2018 01:25 PM

If you have the HomeLink buttons in the visor and swap the IO6 NAV HMI for the non nav I05 version, remember to reconnect the wire that runs up the A pillar to them... Don't ask how I know, but suffice it to say your garage door won't respond without it. :rofl:

gliot1 11-09-2018 01:50 PM

Having in dash nav was one of my musts when buying my GS. As for using the phone....yes it works but not nearly as well and doesnt interact wrll w the stereo etc. If u use Android Auto it is better but not as good still and eats up data minutes. It is still hard to beat in dash overall and if u are spending the $ on car like these buy it how u want it!

defaria 11-09-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1598308248)
Having in dash nav was one of my musts when buying my GS. As for using the phone....yes it works but not nearly as well and doesnt interact wrll w the stereo etc. If u use Android Auto it is better but not as good still and eats up data minutes. It is still hard to beat in dash overall and if u are spending the $ on car like these buy it how u want it!

You don't need to "eat up data minutes" with AA. You can download the map for your area while connected to the WiFi at home and then use offline maps. And personally I've already downloaded all of my music from Google Music to my phone already so I'm not using data minutes for that either.

Me personally, I have Sprint and unlimited data so I never worry about eating up data minutes. The unlimited data plan is not that expensive (especially considering how much you've spent on the car) and I would think "data minutes" would not be that expensive either.

rrsperry 11-09-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by defaria (Post 1598306737)
My use case for the factory NAV is I'm out in the mountains hiking and my phone runs out of battery. I get to my car and I can at least navigate home with the factory NAV as my cell phone starts charging. Otherwise I would need to sit there for a while as my phone gets enough juice to be able run AA and GM...

buy a back up battery for your phone... I bought a case that has a 3700mA battery built in.