CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Arrgggghh! Rain!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4211833-arrgggghh-rain.html)

Ramets 11-13-2018 05:54 AM

Arrgggghh! Rain!!

Drove up to Md. from SC Fri. in pouring rain. Sat. & Sun. we had sunshine as we visited with family. Left Mon. morning...you guessed it, back into pouring rain all the way back to SC. What makes it interesting is since the C5 sits so low, road spray makes it an adventure as to what might be up ahead since you can't see, especially if you get stuck behind a couple of 18 wheelers. Did see one interesting thing on the way up though, a tractor trailer hauling a huge boat that was too tall to fit under an overpass on Rt. 95. Luckily he stopped before the bridge, but it was an overpass without an exit. Since he had no room to turn around, and even if he did he would've been going the wrong way on the Interstate, and there was no crossover. I'm sure since he had the right lane blocked I-95 backed up for miles before they could figure out what to do. I thought of that old joke about letting the air out of the tires to get under the bridge, but this boat was REALLY huge. I don't think that would work. Not sure how they solved it, but it was gone on our return trip.

Vetteman Jack 11-13-2018 08:29 AM

Sounds like poor planning on the part of the truck driver. Should have checked all overpass height clearances before embarking on the trip. :crazy:

Driving in the rain can be an experience in a low sitting car. :willy:

dleibman 11-13-2018 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ramets (Post 1598326696)
Drove up to Md. from SC Fri. in pouring rain. Sat. & Sun. we had sunshine as we visited with family. Left Mon. morning...you guessed it, back into pouring rain all the way back to SC. What makes it interesting is since the C5 sits so low, road spray makes it an adventure as to what might be up ahead since you can't see, especially if you get stuck behind a couple of 18 wheelers. Did see one interesting thing on the way up though, a tractor trailer hauling a huge boat that was too tall to fit under an overpass on Rt. 95. Luckily he stopped before the bridge, but it was an overpass without an exit. Since he had no room to turn around, and even if he did he would've been going the wrong way on the Interstate, and there was no crossover. I'm sure since he had the right lane blocked I-95 backed up for miles before they could figure out what to do. I thought of that old joke about letting the air out of the tires to get under the bridge, but this boat was REALLY huge. I don't think that would work. Not sure how they solved it, but it was gone on our return trip.

low cars and rain stinks. Can hardly see. Just did a 3600 trip in mostly rain and truck spray.

K-Spaz 11-13-2018 01:21 PM

That's why they invented Rain-X

Ramets 11-13-2018 01:40 PM

As much rain and road spray I had to deal with, Rain-X wouldn't of helped. I needed sonar.

dleibman 11-13-2018 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ramets (Post 1598329158)
As much rain and road spray I had to deal with, Rain-X wouldn't of helped. I needed sonar.

for sure !!! Amen brother

mark4cam 11-13-2018 04:30 PM

That's the only circumstance where it's totally acceptable to get your doors blown off by a Prius. BTDT.