CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Roof ideas... Please chime in (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4218267-roof-ideas-please-chime-in.html)

Boostedsvt 12-02-2018 08:42 AM

Roof ideas... Please chime in

I want to try something different for my roof. I’m in the beginning stages of deciding what to try. I’ve got a carbon fiber wing from C7 Carbon and am going to continue that theme as the budget allows. The Carbon fiber roofs are pretty pricey at $2k plus, the tinted glass roof is another idea and the last idea would be a roof-wrap. I worry that the wrap if done in carbon fiber will look cheap, not really matching the wing and other items I end up doing. I don’t want to do the halo right now, I want to try just something with the roof first. Any ideas or suggestions? Pics would be great!!

FAUEE 12-02-2018 11:40 AM

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Boostedsvt 12-02-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598431051)
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Agreed. Anyone here have a carbon fiber roof? How’s it hold up? What type of extra care would it need?

pagosawingnut 12-02-2018 11:59 AM

I just had mine wrapped in carbon fiber wrap. It looks just fine. When I get tired of it, I put the glass top back on.

ByRiver 12-07-2018 09:36 PM

Since you asked, I think you need to trade your Vette in on a Civic. :eek: :D Big-Ass wing and carbon fiber roof just scream rice. The price of C6's is getting to low now.

doomi 12-07-2018 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ByRiver (Post 1598463064)
Since you asked, I think you need to trade your Vette in on a Civic. :eek: :D Big-Ass wing and carbon fiber roof just scream rice. The price of C6's is getting to low now.

Man, that sure sucks that the ZR1 that has a carbon fiber roof and bigger wing is rice. It is pretty much a Civic after all.

Boostedsvt 12-07-2018 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by doomi (Post 1598463115)
Man, that sure sucks that the ZR1 that has a carbon fiber roof and bigger wing is rice. It is pretty much a Civic after all.

Who in their right mind would possibly want one of those? Pure rice..... LOL

ByRiver 12-07-2018 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by doomi (Post 1598463115)

Is the C7 ZR1 a C6? NOPE.

When people put big wings on their cars, it is usually aftermarket, or comes from some different make or model car. Neither needs to be put on a C6 corvette in my opinion, which was asked by the way.

doomi 12-07-2018 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ByRiver (Post 1598463224)

When people put big wings on their cars, it is usually aftermarket, or comes from some different make or model car. Neither needs to be put on a C6 corvette in my opinion, which was asked by the way.

You do know the C6 ZR1 has the same features, right? Plus those pesky ricer carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter.

I'm not mad, just pointing out the irony in your comment.

Boostedsvt 12-08-2018 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ByRiver (Post 1598463224)

The wing is a product from a company called C7 Carbon, it’s not a C7 wing. It was designed for my C6. I was asking for opinions on the roof and I definitely respect your opinion as it’s yours and you’re entitled to it. The wing I love and wouldn’t change it for anything. So far it’s the coolest thing I’ve done.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1d7199923.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...581e47d04.jpeg

corvettezman 12-08-2018 05:15 AM

Carbon fiber I have found to be a very expensive option. This is why I opted for the gloss black instead. Since you went down that road, I would highly recommend either a tinted roof or a real CF roof. You are right, the CF fiber wrap does not look real IMHO.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eb8e0ec539.jpg

I did the rear ZR1 wing, the front ZR1 splitter, and the side skirts in black. I am doing the Roof and halo next in gloss black too. The wheels are C7 Z06 repros and they compliment the yellow well IMO.

Boostedsvt 12-08-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by corvettezman (Post 1598463953)
Carbon fiber I have found to be a very expensive option. This is why I opted for the gloss black instead. Since you went down that road, I would highly recommend either a tinted roof or a real CF roof. You are right, the CF fiber wrap does not look real IMHO.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eb8e0ec539.jpg

I did the rear ZR1 wing, the front ZR1 splitter, and the side skirts in black. I am doing the Roof and halo next in gloss black too. The wheels are C7 Z06 repros and they compliment the yellow well IMO.

Wow! That looks great! Love the widebody rear. I think I want that too😍

corvettezman 12-08-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt (Post 1598463963)

Wow! That looks great! Love the widebody rear. I think I want that too😍

make the decision on the wide body rear before you buy the side skirts. They don't make a difference in front but they do in the rear. I bought the side skirts that fit a Z06 since my rears were widened. My fronts are not.
I bought the wide body rear kit for $1000 out of a wrecked car on ebay.
paint and install was about 1500.

Boostedsvt 12-08-2018 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by corvettezman (Post 1598464252)
make the decision on the wide body rear before you buy the side skirts. They don't make a difference in front but they do in the rear. I bought the side skirts that fit a Z06 since my rears were widened. My fronts are not.
I bought the wide body rear kit for $1000 out of a wrecked car on ebay.
paint and install was about 1500.

Yeah, I noticed the difference on C7 Carbon’s website for the side skirts. I think the side skirts would only look good with the wide body. Yours looks great!

JABCAT 12-08-2018 08:39 AM

Yes what he has is a rear spoiler not a “wing” & it looks great on the car (I have the same one painted body-color). If you’re going to do the top also do the halo or it won’t look right. The wrap will look good if you get material with the same weave pattern as your spoiler & it’s put on correctly. IMO there’s zero point in paying $2k for a carbon fiber roof, but it’s your $.

i would recommend picking up a glass top ($500) and wrapping the halo black. Then if you decide to do splitter/skirts do them in carbon fiber to match your rear spoiler. The carbon fiber should be accents not major components.

ByRiver 12-08-2018 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by doomi (Post 1598463236)
You do know the C6 ZR1 has the same features, right? Plus those pesky ricer carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter.

I'm not mad, just pointing out the irony in your comment.

I guess I never saw the big wing on the C6 ZR1, sorry. Only the smaller ZR1 wing some people add to their C6. That one I even like.

Welker1 12-08-2018 12:37 PM

You should be able to find a place that can wrap your top with a vinyl that will closely match your spoiler and other CF parts you plan on adding; this would be your cheapest option with the added benefit that you could remove it if you don't like it or get tired of it. Another option you could check into is hydro dipping; don't know your location or if it's available in your area. Hydro dipping would match your other CF parts and the cost should be cheaper then buying a CF top. Of course, the best option would be to buy a CF top. :cheers: