CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4229716-california-ab-1824-exhaust-bill-1k-subjective.html)

73DBG 01-08-2019 10:16 PM

California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective!

seeing if any of you Cali guys might be lawyers or cops also, the bill reads very subjective and sounds like the not so sharpe constituents of California have just give the state a “May issue” subjective authority to extort $1k from damn near anyway if they “feel” like it, and now it’s on the tax payer to take the time to go and fight the citation in court! Unbelievable California......I’m also curious on a personal level being I’ll be living there in the future but my active duty military status makes it where I WILL NOT ever have to tag/register or insure in California, I’ll be keeping all vehicles tagged/registered/insured in my home state of record. So I guess the question is do any of these ridiculous laws apply to 100% current/legal cars from another state that’s not communist? I was very confident in the military exemptions before this law was passed knowing I’d never be subjected to California smog/emissions inspections and never needing a Cali tag or license.

Nowanker 01-09-2019 09:32 AM

This was all over the M3 forum yesterday too.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604492
Both sites are owned by IB, hopefully they'll let me link.
From my understanding, it's not exactly a new law, it just raises the fine. Adding ALOT more incentive for the *sshole municipal money grabbers.
Just what we needed, another vague law that can (and will) be selectively enforced.

73DBG 01-09-2019 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nowanker (Post 1598650156)
This was all over the M3 forum yesterday too.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604492
Both sites are owned by IB, hopefully they'll let me link.
From my understanding, it's not exactly a new law, it just raises the fine. Adding ALOT more incentive for the *sshole municipal money grabbers.
Just what we needed, another vague law that can (and will) be selectively enforced.

yeah I think that’s where I read a lot of this, I think the law says over 95 decibels and I’m curios if now all cops will be equipped o measure exhaust decibels....a dude in a bone stock M5 I believe was ticketed already and of course he’ll when in court but thats a deliberate violation of the state against tax paying citizens. Now this guy has to go to court and fight it. Pretty sure every Harley Davidson will be over 95 decibels as well.

cv67 01-09-2019 10:00 AM

Jeezus H! Go after working people that pay taxes right? Anyone remember the leaf blower ban and how that played out?
I cant stand this state more and more....its destroyed this hobby for sure. First chance I get I am OUT .

Mine measures 91 db, have a super quiet set of 22" mufflers in a box but even if i stuck them on I can get penailized for headers? Not putting manifolds on a 560hp engine.
Ill let it sit for anotehr yr, 2 yrs til I get out of here and find some unincorporated town to live in.

I stopped by one of those roadside checks in Chatsworth a few yrs back. They are mainly looking for cars that are overly loud (kids, ricers). I was told they understand old cars;/hot rods and as long as you arent acting the fool at 3am youll be fine. CHP is another story, they are stricter than strict. It just aint right. How bout going after welfare fraud, something worthwhile. Nope that would cause riots

Nowanker 01-09-2019 11:48 AM

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/c.../chp98100.html
Someone posted a summary of this on the M3 board.
Might be worthwhile to print and keep a copy in the glovebox to show officer Opie...
On second thought, probably get you arrested.
Sorry to stereotype our traffic enforcement officers. I calls 'em as I sees 'em...
Although I have encountered a few pretty reasonable ones here and there.

nuke61 01-09-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 73DBG (Post 1598648610)
So I guess the question is do any of these ridiculous laws apply to 100% current/legal cars from another state that’s not communist? I was very confident in the military exemptions before this law was passed knowing I’d never be subjected to California smog/emissions inspections and never needing a Cali tag or license.

I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

Edit: link to Bill https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
What has changed is is that it used to be a "fix it" ticket. Now it's a mandatory fine, unless it can be and is corrected on the spot.

73DBG 01-09-2019 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by nuke61 (Post 1598651182)
I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

Edit: link to Bill https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
What has changed is is that it used to be a "fix it" ticket. Now it's a mandatory fine, unless it can be and is corrected on the spot.

I sent a good bit of this info to my little sister(lawyer) trying to get clarification for my personal situation, but reading what you posted it appears I’m in the clear being I will not be subject to California registration.....I have a feeling it’s not gonna that simple though....seems like making a folder to keep in the vette with all the legal documents about the bill and the active duty military exemptions along with orders is going to be a must....still probably won’t mean I won’t be taking off work to go prove the state wrong.....and that’s the trifecta of government wasting tax payers money....military guy being paid by the tax pay, cop and all players involved at court all wasting tax payers money....unbelievable

MTPZ06 01-09-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 73DBG (Post 1598651381)

I sent a good bit of this info to my little sister(lawyer) trying to get clarification for my personal situation, but reading what you posted it appears I’m in the clear being I will not be subject to California registration.....I have a feeling it’s not gonna that simple though....seems like making a folder to keep in the vette with all the legal documents about the bill and the active duty military exemptions along with orders is going to be a must....still probably won’t mean I won’t be taking off work to go prove the state wrong.....and that’s the trifecta of government wasting tax payers money....military guy being paid by the tax pay, cop and all players involved at court all wasting tax payers money....unbelievable

What will happen is that if a cop feels like ticketing you that day, you'll get a ticket....then its up to you on your dime and time to go to the court house to get it waived, if at all possible.

lt1z 01-09-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1598651722)
What will happen is that if a cop feels like ticketing you that day, you'll get a ticket....then its up to you on your dime and time to go to the court house to get it waived, if at all possible.

This is correct. This change was mainly made to combat sideshows and "take overs" and other stupid shit. If you are involved in that you are screwed and it will spill over into cars and coffee scenarios etc where there are large gatherings. I suspect some stock exotics may get the ticket if CHP is having a bad day as well. However, if you are just driving and minding your own business and not being egregious it probably won't be any more of an issue then it was in years past.

HOXXOH 01-09-2019 01:36 PM

I built on an acre lot that's in a county island within the city of Peoria, AZ, just to avoid all the BS and extra taxes/expenses that cities and HOA's force upon homeowners. I also bought a second acre nearby, which I'm about ready to sell. Any CA guys ready to move yet?

73DBG 01-09-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1598651722)

yeah that’s what I’m planning for, don’t see away around it....hopefully it doesn’t end up wasting too many of my days going to court to tell them shit they should already know🙄

moose.b3 01-09-2019 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=nuke61;1598651182]I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:

The way this reads it almost looks like any type of NPP system would be illegal. Guess I'll have to run my muffler mod exhaust on quite in the city.

theandrewo 01-09-2019 02:49 PM

It's an automatic state ref as well, is it not? To my understanding, state ref tickets used to be separate. Now if a cop "thinks" your exhaust is too loud, they can pull you over (which opens up pandora's box of profiling and targeting). If you do get a ticket, to my understanding, it's an automatic $1k fine AND automatic state ref inspection.

Here is the current petition to get it reversed. Here is where you can donate to increase awareness: https://www.change.org/f/to-compensa...edium=copylink

nuke61 01-09-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by moose.b3 (Post 1598652270)
The way this reads it almost looks like any type of NPP system would be illegal. Guess I'll have to run my muffler mod exhaust on quite in the city.

The bypass is referring to bypassing the muffler; the stock NPP doesn't bypass the muffler, it just re-routes it through another passageway in the muffler.

nuke61 01-09-2019 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by theandrewo (Post 1598652333)
It's an automatic state ref as well, is it not? To my understanding, state ref tickets used to be separate. Now if a cop "thinks" your exhaust is too loud, they can pull you over (which opens up pandora's box of profiling and targeting). If you do get a ticket, to my understanding, it's an automatic $1k fine AND automatic state ref inspection.

I don't think that's what it says. If you get pulled over and cited, you will have to go to an inspection station to determine if you exceed the 95dB limit. If so, then a judge can fine you up to $1000 - UNLESS you are found to have a modified exhaust (muffler) -- a modified exhaust is a disqualifying action, and they skip the inspection station and send you straight to the judge.

I think it's really targeted toward the guys who do muffler deletes, add those stupid whistles to their exhaust tips, or stuff like the flame thrower additions.

73DBG 01-09-2019 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by nuke61 (Post 1598654398)
The bypass is referring to bypassing the muffler; the stock NPP doesn't bypass the muffler, it just re-routes it through another passageway in the muffler.

I think this bill skips the state ref part the way it reads, but that seems to be only for vehicles subjected to state inspections, my personal situation I would not be subject to any of that or a state ref. This law does suck for sure I’m just trying to make sure my exemption is good to go before I move out there, I’m fairly certain I’m personally in the clear but I don’t think that means I’m not gonna have to waste time proving that unfortunately

RGT 01-09-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1598651849)
I built on an acre lot that's in a county island within the city of Peoria, AZ, just to avoid all the BS and extra taxes/expenses that cities and HOA's force upon homeowners. I also bought a second acre nearby, which I'm about ready to sell. Any CA guys ready to move yet?

I moved from Cali to Las Vegas two month ago. So glad I did.

Mr. Gizmo 01-10-2019 07:45 AM

I feel for you guys living in the communistic state. I travel to LA and Sacramento on biz every now and then. Prices are ridiculous.
i couldn’t imagine the hassle of dealing with traffic everyday & the cost of owning cars and a house there.

Peter Zachen 01-10-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1598650344)
Jeezus H! Go after working people that pay taxes right? Anyone remember the leaf blower ban and how that played out?
I cant stand this state more and more....its destroyed this hobby for sure. First chance I get I am OUT .

Mine measures 91 db, have a super quiet set of 22" mufflers in a box but even if i stuck them on I can get penailized for headers? Not putting manifolds on a 560hp engine.
Ill let it sit for anotehr yr, 2 yrs til I get out of here and find some unincorporated town to live in.

I stopped by one of those roadside checks in Chatsworth a few yrs back. They are mainly looking for cars that are overly loud (kids, ricers). I was told they understand old cars;/hot rods and as long as you arent acting the fool at 3am youll be fine. CHP is another story, they are stricter than strict. It just aint right. How bout going after welfare fraud, something worthwhile. Nope that would cause riots

Living near busy road, i love cars and modifying stuff, but people with look at me exhaust driving by 100 times a day get to ya. Never understood why anyone would install a straight pipe or loud muffler, its just dumb and uncivilized. Highly support the new law.

iw172 01-10-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598656080)
I feel for you guys living in the communistic state. I travel to LA and Sacramento on biz every now and then. Prices are ridiculous.
i couldn’t imagine the hassle of dealing with traffic everyday & the cost of owning cars and a house there.

agree. mudslides, earthquakes, fires and drought... good times :lolg: