CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4232096-ok-i-need-some-advice-am-i-the-only-one-not-happy-about-the-c8.html)

Foosh 01-19-2019 05:53 PM

I don't think it will sell even 10K units in the first year if it's north of $100K. And I'm pretty sure there will be no FE Corvette, but perhaps a redesigned Camaro will come along to take its place.

The Porsche analogy doesn't work. Chevrolet is the brand as is Porsche.

Darion 01-19-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598719424)
It won't sell even 10K units in the first year if it's north of $100K. And I'm pretty sure there will be no FE Corvette, but perhaps a redesigned Camaro will come along to take its place.

The Porsche analogy doesn't work. Chevrolet is the brand as is Porsche.

I'm not thinking a two car lineup either, maybe an SUV! Lol. Hey I just hope the new ME has T-tops and a split window.:U
:D

PC

Supermassive 01-19-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598718849)
It all depends upon price. Just because a car's nameplate says Corvette doesn't mean it will sell at any price. The $130K+ ZR1 is on pace to sell only 2K units in it's intro year when excitement about it was highest.

Please don't tell me that point was poorly thought out, and it's been the essence of the thoughtful concerns about sales and the future of the Corvette in an ME world. I happen to believe the ME will be offered in a range of $70K-ish to $150K-ish, and in that case I think it will do just fine.

There have been many thoughtful concerns about sales, which have been used to rebut those who seem to firmly believe it will start well north of $100K. It's future will be very much in doubt as an expensive "niche, halo car," which won't sell in sufficient volumes to survive long-term.

If C7 sales numbers are a reasonable barometer, which I believe them to be, 70% of sales were below $80K. The vast majority of folks aren't going to cross that barrier for a 2-seat sports car.

Halo cars like the Ford GT and Viper only appear on the scene for short runs and then disappear, perhaps making another brief appearance every decade or so..

I apologize if you thought I was arguing the point of pricing...I was arguing that the transition to mid engine will not be the determining factor for failing, as was implied by Justin's post. I agree that pricing will make or break the C8, but I don't for a second believe that going mid engine will cause the brand to fall on its face.

Foosh 01-19-2019 06:20 PM

I agree with you there, it was just when you said every post about it not selling was poorly thought out.

Supermassive 01-19-2019 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598719616)
I agree with you there, it was just when you said every post about it not selling was poorly thought out.

I was trying to imply that every post about the C8 going mid engine. I guess I should have been more clear.
I'll edit it up so it is easier to see that that is my intention.

RACE U 01-19-2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jcsperson (Post 1598715263)
And hard to show shareholders on the bottom line.

Agreed.

flyforfun 01-21-2019 04:09 PM

Keep that dream alive! Deposit means nothing on the overall price. Sorry to disappoint.

ttboost1 01-22-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Azferrari (Post 1598692914)

I am local here in AZ- Scottsdale. I want to be your friend. Damn...