CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   '57 steering colum question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4240900-57-steering-colum-question.html)

Jim Rosenthal 02-10-2019 06:23 PM

'57 steering colum question

I have gotten some seat time in my 1957 Vette, now that we have it on the road. Here's a question about the steering colum: when I sit close enough to the dash that I can comfortably get the clutch pedal all the way in, I am too close to the wheel. I can drive it, but really wish the steering wheel was about four inches closer to the dash, and away from me. So,,,

Does any vendor make/sell a shortened steering column? I remember reading that this was done to race Vettes from the factory back in the 1956-57 era. I can see why, now. Or, has anyone had to deal with this problem and what did they do for it?

One end of the steering shaft goes into the steering box; the other end is splined for the steering wheel to slide on to. The steering shaft seems to run in a sheet metal tube which is what you see inside the car and engine compartment. We measured and determined that four inches would be as much as we could move the wheel; after that it creates interference with the turn signal lever. But it would sure make a difference in driving comfort and ability.

Thanks for help, in advance.

DZAUTO 02-10-2019 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Rosenthal (Post 1598854678)
I have gotten some seat time in my 1957 Vette, now that we have it on the road. Here's a question about the steering colum: when I sit close enough to the dash that I can comfortably get the clutch pedal all the way in, I am too close to the wheel. I can drive it, but really wish the steering wheel was about four inches closer to the dash, and away from me. So,,,

Does any vendor make/sell a shortened steering column? I remember reading that this was done to race Vettes from the factory back in the 1956-57 era. I can see why, now. Or, has anyone had to deal with this problem and what did they do for it?

One end of the steering shaft goes into the steering box; the other end is splined for the steering wheel to slide on to. The steering shaft seems to run in a sheet metal tube which is what you see inside the car and engine compartment. We measured and determined that four inches would be as much as we could move the wheel; after that it creates interference with the turn signal lever. But it would sure make a difference in driving comfort and ability.

Thanks for help, in advance.

The 53-57 steering columns and 58-62 columns are different lengths (58-62 is a few inches shorter). Otherwise, they are totally the same and totally interchangeable.
If you can round up a 58-62 column/box, that would be the easiest solution.

emccomas 02-11-2019 07:15 PM

58-62 steering columns are 3 1/2 inches shorter / closer to the dash.

I made the same change on my 56, replacing it wit a column out of a 1960.

58-62 steering columns are not that hard to locate. Make sure you get a good one, or one that has gone through a restoration.

It is a bit of a pain to install with the engine in the car, but it can be done.

I had the best results by removing the radiator and center grill.

Good luck.