CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Rock Auto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4245867-rock-auto.html)

rv7flyer 02-25-2019 08:42 AM

Rock Auto

Has anyone here had experience with Rock Auto rebuild service. I was thinking of sending them my brake booster and master cylinder for rebuild. There web site says 139.00 for both. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Pete

Big2Bird 02-25-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by rv7flyer (Post 1598943156)
Has anyone here had experience with Rock Auto rebuild service. I was thinking of sending them my brake booster and master cylinder for rebuild. There web site says 139.00 for both. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Pete

Rock Auto does not rebuild anything. You will get a A1Cardone rebuilt exchanged.

sparky77 02-25-2019 10:45 AM

Best bet if you want your brake booster and master cyl. rebuilt is find a shop locally to do the work. Go to a hot rod shop and ask around where they have there stuff rebuilt.

squared 02-25-2019 11:58 AM

I use Rock Auto all the time and have had very good luck with them. I sold auto parts several decades ago, and they're prices are pretty close to what the store paid for them. At the time, there were four prices, list, walk-in, dealer, and jobber. Dealer price is what mechanics paid, list is what you paid out the door after having it installed. I have sent stuff back to them, but had no issue there as well. As far as rebuild services, it's the same stuff you get from Autozone/Advance if the brand name is the same.

ignatz 02-25-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sparky77 (Post 1598943833)
Best bet if you want your brake booster and master cyl. rebuilt is find a shop locally to do the work. Go to a hot rod shop and ask around where they have there stuff rebuilt.

What? Whenever I want the most important piece of safety equipment rebuilt on my car I always try to find some random stranger who will work on it for the lowest price. Doesn't everyone?

stingr69 02-25-2019 01:49 PM

Restoration is different that rebuilding but if you need that done:

Steve Gregori does real nice work, but nice work costs money. www.brakeboosters.com

Apple Hydraulics can re-sleeve your original master cylinder if you need it to stay original.

Not 10% sure about Corvettes but some internal master cylinder parts are not available so a cheap rebuilt unit can be scavenged if you need those pieces.

av81 02-25-2019 05:30 PM

A1 cardone has gone down hill I would not recommend their stuff , I got a ECM from them it looked like it came out of the trash it was so beat ,sent it back the next one was the same even had a dent ... made a few calls and was told they sell junk now.

Big2Bird 02-25-2019 09:55 PM

I gave up on their cruise control transducers. Pure crap.

Cavu2u 02-26-2019 11:40 AM

Rock Auto.
They're cheap for a reason.
I bought a Main Bearing set for an engine I was rebuilding from "Them", and it came to me with a half shell missing.:lol: And when I went to return it, they said keep it and refunded the entire price faster than a New York minute! As if the shipper knew it was incomplete and hoping to get rid of it for something $$. After all, what do you do with a bearing set with one half shell missing? :rofl: Little box makes a good paperweight.
On the other hand, I've found some suspension parts for an older vehicle at a price over 3 times less than local auto parts places. AND they looked and fit like new. Some vendor just reducing old inventory perhaps.
With Rock Auto, it's sometimes a home run, some times a strikeout. :shrug:

Steve

drwet 02-26-2019 06:02 PM

Rock Auto sells the same stuff you can get at your local parts supplier but the prices are generally better. If you stick to big name brands you'll usually be OK. All the aftermarket parts are crap now. For the booster, send it to Booster Dewey. He's restored a couple for me with great results. I think they will also just do the rebuild if you don't want the full restoration.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

sparky77 02-26-2019 09:11 PM

ignatz did I say to look for someone to do it cheap? I said to find a shop to do the work locally.There are a number of shops around where I live that are professional rebuilders ,but you have to find them.

ignatz 02-26-2019 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by sparky77 (Post 1598952997)
ignatz did I say to look for someone to do it cheap? I said to find a shop to do the work locally.There are a number of shops around where I live that are professional rebuilders ,but you have to find them.

You are misunderstanding me. I was being ironic and chose not to directly question the OP by suggesting his quest for the best price was misguided. Think of what I posted as off-handedly complimenting you. I think 449er got it straight.

My local Corvette parts store, Corvette Clinic in San Jose (very lucky to have them) almost always has a place to send me to and will back me up is something goes wrong. Kinda too bad when you have to go to Rock Auto or here, O'Reilly, to get questionable rebuilds. The unfortunate thing is that good services continue to disappear.

theandies 02-27-2019 06:35 AM

My Rock Auto horn relay for my '71 Vette was spot on and still works. I have gone through two multi-function switches for my '06 Cobalt so they are crap. Hit and miss is what I'm getting at.