C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM
rv7flyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rock Auto

Has anyone here had experience with Rock Auto rebuild service. I was thinking of sending them my brake booster and master cylinder for rebuild. There web site says 139.00 for both. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Pete
Old 02-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7flyer
Has anyone here had experience with Rock Auto rebuild service. I was thinking of sending them my brake booster and master cylinder for rebuild. There web site says 139.00 for both. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Pete
Rock Auto does not rebuild anything. You will get a A1Cardone rebuilt exchanged.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 AM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Best bet if you want your brake booster and master cyl. rebuilt is find a shop locally to do the work. Go to a hot rod shop and ask around where they have there stuff rebuilt.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I use Rock Auto all the time and have had very good luck with them. I sold auto parts several decades ago, and they're prices are pretty close to what the store paid for them. At the time, there were four prices, list, walk-in, dealer, and jobber. Dealer price is what mechanics paid, list is what you paid out the door after having it installed. I have sent stuff back to them, but had no issue there as well. As far as rebuild services, it's the same stuff you get from Autozone/Advance if the brand name is the same.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky77
Best bet if you want your brake booster and master cyl. rebuilt is find a shop locally to do the work. Go to a hot rod shop and ask around where they have there stuff rebuilt.
What? Whenever I want the most important piece of safety equipment rebuilt on my car I always try to find some random stranger who will work on it for the lowest price. Doesn't everyone?
The following users liked this post:
449er (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Restoration is different that rebuilding but if you need that done:

Steve Gregori does real nice work, but nice work costs money. www.brakeboosters.com

Apple Hydraulics can re-sleeve your original master cylinder if you need it to stay original.

Not 10% sure about Corvettes but some internal master cylinder parts are not available so a cheap rebuilt unit can be scavenged if you need those pieces.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:30 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A1 cardone has gone down hill I would not recommend their stuff , I got a ECM from them it looked like it came out of the trash it was so beat ,sent it back the next one was the same even had a dent ... made a few calls and was told they sell junk now.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I gave up on their cruise control transducers. Pure crap.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Rock Auto.
They're cheap for a reason.
I bought a Main Bearing set for an engine I was rebuilding from "Them", and it came to me with a half shell missing. And when I went to return it, they said keep it and refunded the entire price faster than a New York minute! As if the shipper knew it was incomplete and hoping to get rid of it for something $$. After all, what do you do with a bearing set with one half shell missing? Little box makes a good paperweight.
On the other hand, I've found some suspension parts for an older vehicle at a price over 3 times less than local auto parts places. AND they looked and fit like new. Some vendor just reducing old inventory perhaps.
With Rock Auto, it's sometimes a home run, some times a strikeout.

Steve
Old 02-26-2019, 06:02 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Rock Auto sells the same stuff you can get at your local parts supplier but the prices are generally better. If you stick to big name brands you'll usually be OK. All the aftermarket parts are crap now. For the booster, send it to Booster Dewey. He's restored a couple for me with great results. I think they will also just do the rebuild if you don't want the full restoration.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

ignatz did I say to look for someone to do it cheap? I said to find a shop to do the work locally.There are a number of shops around where I live that are professional rebuilders ,but you have to find them.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky77
ignatz did I say to look for someone to do it cheap? I said to find a shop to do the work locally.There are a number of shops around where I live that are professional rebuilders ,but you have to find them.
You are misunderstanding me. I was being ironic and chose not to directly question the OP by suggesting his quest for the best price was misguided. Think of what I posted as off-handedly complimenting you. I think 449er got it straight.

My local Corvette parts store, Corvette Clinic in San Jose (very lucky to have them) almost always has a place to send me to and will back me up is something goes wrong. Kinda too bad when you have to go to Rock Auto or here, O'Reilly, to get questionable rebuilds. The unfortunate thing is that good services continue to disappear.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:35 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

My Rock Auto horn relay for my '71 Vette was spot on and still works. I have gone through two multi-function switches for my '06 Cobalt so they are crap. Hit and miss is what I'm getting at.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock Auto

Quick Reply: Rock Auto