CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   2007 Z06 - 100K Mile Tune Tips (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4245943-2007-z06-100k-mile-tune-tips.html)

Troika 02-25-2019 01:24 PM

2007 Z06 - 100K Mile Tune Tips

I've got a 2007 Z06 that is about to turn the century mark at 100K miles. I have always done all of my maintenance and the car has been a dream to own in terms of reliability. From a performance perspective I would say she runs as strong now as she did from day one over 11 years ago. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for tune up or replacement items, other than the GM recommended. I'm in the middle of sinking $50K into a 69' Camaro build at the moment so I'm only looking at stock service / replacement tips for now. Specifically interested if there are any suggestions relative to injector service or replacement.

MTPZ06 02-25-2019 01:30 PM

Valve job.

Troika 02-25-2019 01:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback however it's kinda hard for me to justify the money to "break the seal" on the top end without going deeper (not that I wouldn't enjoy it). That said, I know the LS7's history and you are right, probably worth spending the time / money.

JerriVette 02-25-2019 01:59 PM

Just change the wires and plugs and whatever fluids you feel like doing.

one owner ls3 c6 z51 now at 130k.

these cars are built extremely well.

just regular maintaince and add gas,

enjoy

MTPZ06 02-25-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Troika (Post 1598944891)
Thanks for the feedback however it's kinda hard for me to justify the money to "break the seal" on the top end without going deeper (not that I wouldn't enjoy it). That said, I know the LS7's history and you are right, probably worth spending the time / money.

I'd say its money well spent...especially if you do your own wrenching. Couple grand to save a motor that costs 5 figures, and keep it on the road for another 100K. Refresh of all fluids is in order, and since you asked about injectors...Injector Repair LLC can do ultrasonic cleaning and flow testing for $17/injector.

Troika 02-25-2019 06:35 PM

Thank you, I did the plugs at about the 75K range but the wires are a good suggestion,

Troika 02-25-2019 06:42 PM

Thanks again. That's a hot tip on the ultrasonic testing, I was just reading an article about that. I've kept all the fluids fresh through the years on my own schedule which exceeds GM's recommended intervals by a bit.

TOM WELCH 02-25-2019 06:47 PM

BG44K and BG EPR, are two products that we use and recommend. 44K every 4-5 fillups, EPR every 4-5 oil changes, these are not snake oil, they are proven products, I use them in my own vehicles and sell them at my shop.

Hib Halverson 02-25-2019 11:33 PM

At 100K and assuming no service work other than oil and spark plug changes have been done...

Flush the brakes
Change the rear axle lube.
Change the trans lube
Change the power streering fluid.
Replace the drive belts
Replace the plug wires
Replace the clutch disc
Do a four wheel alignment
Replace the cabin air filter
Pull the injectors and have them cleaned

Troika 02-26-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1598948160)
At 100K and assuming no service work other than oil and spark plug changes have been done...

Flush the brakes
Change the rear axle lube.
Change the trans lube
Change the power streering fluid.
Replace the drive belts
Replace the plug wires
Replace the clutch disc
Do a four wheel alignment
Replace the cabin air filter
Pull the injectors and have them cleaned

Thanks, I've kept all the driveline fluids you've mentioned fresh through the years. Clutch disc is also fairly fresh since a run down Pikes Peak a while back forced me to replace (long story). Tires and wheels are new. You are the second to suggest the injector service and I think tha't's a great idea, making plans to tackle that next week. All in all, from the suggestions I've received, I think we are in pretty good shape. I'll do injectors, plug wires and the alignment.

I appreciate the feedback from those that have taken the time to comment. Possibly one of the more boring tech questions however it's always good to hear from others because there's usually something obvious that we overlook.

MAD Matt 02-26-2019 07:15 PM

Does your car have the stock heads as delivered? The reason I ask is because some cars have experienced valve guide issues as we all know. It would be comforting to hear from folks that have stock, untouched heads and higher mileage. Just curious and congrats on making it to 100K without any major issues...good to know.

bjmsam 02-26-2019 07:27 PM

I appreciate the sensible request and helpful responses. My 2007 Z06 currently has ~82k miles with only regular maintenance (plus a thorough valve-to-guide clearance "wiggle test" at 62k miles for peace of mind). I will follow your lead as it approaches 100k miles and hopefully see another 100k without becoming a statistic in the mileage before LS7 engine failure stock thread.

Meanwhile, your last post piqued my interest about losing a clutch while descending Pike's Peak. What happened?

Troika 02-27-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MAD Matt (Post 1598952366)
Does your car have the stock heads as delivered? The reason I ask is because some cars have experienced valve guide issues as we all know. It would be comforting to hear from folks that have stock, untouched heads and higher mileage. Just curious and congrats on making it to 100K without any major issues...good to know.

Yes my car has remained stock despite the temptation many times to pull the trigger on various modifications (recent change in wheels excluded). In my opinion, the C6 Z06 was a machine well ahead of it's time and I feel GM engineering hit one out of the park in terms of how the car performs. From the daily driver perspective, I think a guy can spend a lot of money chasing aftermarket products that may only marginally improve / change the performance of a machine that really didn't need changing. Don't get me wrong, while I don't track this car, I do drive it hard and demand that it performs at a high level, the way it was meant to be. That said, I'm also not afraid to throw the wife in it and take off on a two week / 3000 mile adventure which we have done numerous times.

I'm aware of the valve guide issue and I guess all I can say is, as I pass the 100K mile mark, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Troika 02-27-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bjmsam (Post 1598952436)
I appreciate the sensible request and helpful responses. My 2007 Z06 currently has ~82k miles with only regular maintenance (plus a thorough valve-to-guide clearance "wiggle test" at 62k miles for peace of mind). I will follow your lead as it approaches 100k miles and hopefully see another 100k without becoming a statistic in the mileage before LS7 engine failure stock thread.

Meanwhile, your last post piqued my interest about losing a clutch while descending Pike's Peak. What happened?

The PIkes Peak run was a bit of an oddity. We did a "non-sanctioned" descent from the peak down to Colorado Springs and when we got down I had an issue with the clutch slave cylinder that caused the disc to take a little abuse. The slave cylinder stopped working completely before we got very far so we went to the local Chevy dealer and had it replaced (we were in the middle of a road trip that originated in Houston). The mechanic said that the seals in the slave cylinder failed because they were dry....from not being driven. At the time I was working overseas for extended periods and the car was sitting for extended periods without being driven. I'll file this one in the self inflicted category.

Troika 02-27-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MAD Matt (Post 1598952366)

Yes my car still have the original heads.

minavizz 03-05-2019 10:14 AM

Dang, that 69 camaro build tho!
I have a 68 Camaro you could have for $35 instead :D