CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   64 body mount kit on 63 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4249357-64-body-mount-kit-on-63-a.html)

Shift_Happens 03-07-2019 12:09 PM

64 body mount kit on 63

I'm getting close to mounting the body back on the frame as a mock fit to check gaps and alignment of body panels. After this test fit, I will be removing the body to send to paint booth. I was recently told of a local guy who used a 64 body mount on his restored 63 to add more cushioning with the rubber mounts. Anybody ever had any experience or insight on that 'upgrade'?

Swept57 03-07-2019 12:23 PM

Curious about that myself. But if you are going that route, I would think you would want to test fit with the 64 mounts.

Shift_Happens 03-07-2019 02:09 PM

I will have both sets there to test fit......just not sure about bumper brackets and things that bolt to chassis but through the body...thats my concern.

tbarb 03-07-2019 05:19 PM

I would be careful here, bottom line is the 1964-up frame mounts are welded at a different height than the 1963 frame.

My suggestion is to keep it the way it was designed and built.

DUB 03-07-2019 06:51 PM

YES...the rubber mounts do take out some of the road/vibration issues ....versus using the solid aluminum body spacers.

Switching to the rubber ones will depend on how thick they are in comparison to the ones that would normally be used. SO...if they are thicker...then it will raise the body that much more....and the only issue I see is the front shims for the radiator support.

Depending on how much thicker the ones at the #1 area ( in front of the firewall) are...may or may not require adding more shims to the welded in stack. Seeing how the #1 mount point and the radiator support mount area are about 5'-6' apart from each other....the high difference in the rubber bushings may not require anything due to the distance being so far away. So if oyu stop and think about it...if the rubber bushing is 1/8" thicker.,..it is doubtful that that slight increase ...when transferred over 5'-6' would cause for any ill effects to the body.

As for any issues with the way the bumpers fit to the body and the brackets that support them. It is questionable if you need to have any concern or not. If you are driving over speed bumps are putting the body in a severe twist when driving it...then it is possible that it may do something...but heck....if you stop and also think about how the frame flexes anyway under certain conditions...the same amount of potential damage could occur IF you put it the correct design body bushings.

DUB

Shift_Happens 03-07-2019 06:57 PM

Interesting thoughts DUB....thanks

tbarb 03-07-2019 07:02 PM

The 1963 car does not use any spacers or cushions at the body mounting locations (except the inner seat belt brackets), it's mounted solid with just shims. If using the 63 frame I believe all the mounts are welded higher so if you use a cushion the body will end up approx 1/2" higher than the design height.

I am not sure how this will effect other things like bumper brackets.

65 Pro Vette 03-08-2019 12:19 PM

You will have to make modifications to the frame to put the 64 to 67 body mount kit in a 63. The reality is all 64 to 67 Corvette are mostly bolted solid to the frame. The two mounts at the firewall are original solid aluminum with no rubber, the radiator support is shims only and bolted solid, and 64 to 67 convertible’s under the door sill is shims and bolted solid to the frame the only rubber are the four rear body mounts. So do you think the car is going to ride much different by putting some rubber in the back is not reality. I don’t think it’s worth the labor to change the mount Heights. And the two rear ones you need to enlarge the hole in the frame or use a 64 to 67 mount bracket.

hcallaway 03-08-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette (Post 1599010611)
You will have to make modifications to the frame to put the 64 to 67 body mount kit in a 63. The reality is all 64 to 67 Corvette are mostly bolted solid to the frame. The two mounts at the firewall are original solid aluminum with no rubber, the radiator support is shims only and bolted solid, and 64 to 67 convertible’s under the door sill is shims and bolted solid to the frame the only rubber are the four rear body mounts. So do you think the car is going to ride much different by putting some rubber in the back is not reality. I don’t think it’s worth the labor to change the mount Heights. And the two rear ones you need to enlarge the hole in the frame or use a 64 to 67 mount bracket.

i am always amazed at your level of detailed knowledge. Great information.

Shift_Happens 03-14-2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette (Post 1599010611)

thanks Don...good info