CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4250471-89-c4-sputters-and-rough-idle-while-accelerating.html)

nathan johnson 03-10-2019 07:40 PM

89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating

Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!! Edit Quote

aklim 03-10-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by nathan johnson (Post 1599023052)
Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!! Edit Quote

What did he do to test the fuel pump? Did he check that it was priming? What is the Key On Engine Off fuel pressure? Did he test it for holding pressure when the key is turned off? Did he check for spark? Why is he changing the MAF for this? How did he determine it was bad?

Y-bodluvr 03-11-2019 02:21 PM

I had a sputtering issue I couldn’t figure out in an L98 GTA I had with pretty much new everything EXCEPT IGNITION MODULE and I don’t see that on your list it was an INSTANT cure they’re cheap enough not to worry about the “dumping” money part..

aklim 03-11-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr (Post 1599027001)
I had a sputtering issue I couldn’t figure out in an L98 GTA I had with pretty much new everything EXCEPT IGNITION MODULE and I don’t see that on your list it was an INSTANT cure they’re cheap enough not to worry about the “dumping” money part..

I'd test it first.

vette196 03-11-2019 03:21 PM

BAD "brand new" MAF.....someone a few months ago had a terrible problem getting a "new" MAF to work (multiple units)

leadfoot33 03-11-2019 05:15 PM

i had a similar issue, stall/stumble when parking lit speed in my 87 l98, turned out to be the EGR, i unplugged it from the passenger side and the issue went away. something to try

65Z01 03-12-2019 01:16 AM

Pull the codes to see if the ECM gives any clues.

Check fuel pressure and manifold vacuum.

Did you check spark plug wires?