CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Wipers Decided to Quit Today (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4281309-wipers-decided-to-quit-today.html)

C3 Stroker 06-03-2019 04:32 PM

Wipers Decided to Quit Today
 
........Yep, they became demon possessed. First, the wiper door opened after shutting off the car. As this was happening, I heard the sound of "swoosh" as vacuum was being lost. I decided to manually override and try the wipers......restarted the car, and the door closed. Then pulled the override knob. The door opened, but the wipers did not run. I tried the switch......hear a relay click, but the wipers will not run. Closed the manual override knob and the door closed. Pinched the red vacuum hose hose going to the relay by the right wiper arm and the door opened.......bad relay, won't hold vacuum. OK, but shouldn't the wiper motor itself still run? Well, went back to the console wiper switch....seems very loose and raggedy....intermittent contacts at best. Heard a relay click, but no motor run Well, I have on order a new console switch from Lectric Limited (supposedly theirs work better than others)...https://www.lectriclimited.com/switc...r-switch-92810 Also have on order a new wiper arm relay vacuum valve.....the U.S. made one that actually works, but costs double the cheap repros do. This one is sold by Zip, and Willcox.. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...t-really-works

Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of this. I'll jumper the motor, see if it will run. I guess 50 years is the lifespan of the C3 vacuum wiper system, at least in my case. Detroit Speed's electric wiper conversion is starting to look better and better, but is way more work than I'm willing to handle.

theandies 06-03-2019 05:01 PM

Everything works in my wiper system but the cheapass wiper motors. I've gone through 2 in one year. Hopefully your motor is good as I can't find anyone that makes a good motor and I'm tired of spending $100 and have no way of returning them because no one warranties their product because they probably know it's crappy.

D_Williams 06-04-2019 09:49 AM

If you are hearing a click from the relay, then the wiper switch is probably good. I would bench test the motor to make sure it works first and then check the wiring.

ThumpingLotus7 06-04-2019 10:13 AM

Make sure the limit switch on the wiper door is sending power to the wiper motor -- also confirm the knob under the steering wheel is turned on (clockwise).

To test the limit switch make sure the door is open -- unplug the red with white harness plug (is towards the middle of the car on the passenger side tucked by the distributor sheilding) use pliers with rubber handles to connect the two exposed tangs in the harness (not the switch) and you may find that your wipers work.

I've had that switch die on me before -- and it would read continuity but wasn't delivering the amperage needed to run the motor.

Also unplug and clean the contacts on the three prong connector -- I've had that problem before too.

Kacyc3 06-04-2019 10:30 AM

Thats the car protesting being driven in the rain :hide:

Willcox Corvette 06-04-2019 11:55 AM

Here is everything I have on your motor...

Bench test the motor first... then you'll know if it's good or not. I'd do this first....

On your car remove the bell crank nut from the wiper arms. Then take every factory wire off the motor! Run power to the center terminal, ground the case and have two other grounds ready... if you test the motor this way and it works you've taken it out of the picture. Go watch the video below where we show basically what happens when in regards to the wires being removed for testing. It's the second one posted below and basically we pulled wires from the circuit and tested to see the end result.

There is also a video on how to test the wiper switch if you think this is the issue it's posted below.

Here are the main articles and videos on the web site to help you.

Upload this first... http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-with-test.pdf

Then review the items at this link. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/p...t=1969&s=wiper

And then review the following.... you'll find your answer. :D

Video on testing the motor:
1969-1972


Video on testing the wires


Wiper Arm Vacuum Switch testing the "Correct Way" to test.
69-72 Wiper Arm Vacuum Relay testing.



Willcox Testing a 68-76 Corvette Wiper Motor Switch




Ohhhhhh sooooo Free Simple schematic.
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-schematic.jpg


Willcox-
:thumbs: 18243

C3 Stroker 06-04-2019 04:09 PM

Well, somewhat better news today. I found the wipers weren't running because the right arm was binding in the wiper door. The door was stuck with the arm and neither could move. Somehow, the door closed on the arm before it could park. I manually lifted the door and freed the arm. The motor runs, but continually "runs on" and clicks, not really stopping to park the arms even with the ignition off. They did stop correctly when I used the override switch, with the knob in the center position, however. When I jiggle the console switch, the wipers come on, but when going back to the "off" position, the "run on" continues until I manually turn them off with the override. Thanks, Willcox, for the info. Tomorrow I'll take another look and hopefully fix this thing......

Willcox Corvette 06-04-2019 07:17 PM


Originally Posted by C3 Stroker (Post 1599523168)
Well, somewhat better news today. I found the wipers weren't running because the right arm was binding in the wiper door. The door was stuck with the arm and neither could move. Somehow, the door closed on the arm before it could park. I manually lifted the door and freed the arm. The motor runs, but continually "runs on" and clicks, not really stopping to park the arms even with the ignition off. They did stop correctly when I used the override switch, with the knob in the center position, however. When I jiggle the console switch, the wipers come on, but when going back to the "off" position, the "run on" continues until I manually turn them off with the override. Thanks, Willcox, for the info. Tomorrow I'll take another look and hopefully fix this thing......

Watch the wire testing video, it deals with wiper "run on". I believe the other one does too... That should answer your question. Then go to the tech site and search "wiper arm adjustment" That should stop your sticking issue.

Willcox

platinummaker 06-04-2019 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by Kacyc3 (Post 1599521176)
Thats the car protesting being driven in the rain :hide:

THERE is some rapier like wit!

7T1vette 06-05-2019 11:41 AM

I interpreted that as a serious remark! :hide: [These cars DO have a psyche, you know...]

Willcox Corvette 06-05-2019 11:44 AM

Some cars have the "Christine" attitude for sure. I've seen my fair share of these over the years.

E

C3 Stroker 06-05-2019 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1599524231)
Watch the wire testing video, it deals with wiper "run on". I believe the other one does too... That should answer your question. Then go to the tech site and search "wiper arm adjustment" That should stop your sticking issue.

Willcox

OK, just watched the "run on" video. That means if I make sure the green and the blue wires are grounded inside the case, the "run on" problem should be cured, right?. Can this be done with the motor in the car?......I haven't taken anything apart yet.

Willcox Corvette 06-05-2019 05:45 PM

Wiper motor run on is a problem in the green wire... Okay, this could be the wiper relay or a cut in the wire. If it is the relay, go to our youtube page, there is a video on how to take it apart and with some luck you can repair it with a point file.

Willcox

C3 Stroker 06-05-2019 09:31 PM


Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1599530151)
Wiper motor run on is a problem in the green wire... Okay, this could be the wiper relay or a cut in the wire. If it is the relay, go to our youtube page, there is a video on how to take it apart and with some luck you can repair it with a point file.

Willcox

OK, so the green wire goes to the relay.....in the shifter console - what a dumb place to put it. Oh well, the saga continues this weekend....

Metalhead140 06-05-2019 09:46 PM

Mine decided not to work this week too... Got halfway to work and it started pouring rain, wipers wouldn't turn on. I'll be troubleshooting this weekend.

Dirty Dalton 06-06-2019 02:06 PM

And, to continue...

Press the control to "Wash", voila, the door opens, the wipers sweep, just as one would hope. Release the control and the wipers park and the door closes in the most authoritative manner. A proverbial 'door slam'. However, any attempt to move the control to simple 'wipe', results in nothing. May I assume that the issue is with the switch?

derekderek 06-06-2019 03:49 PM

You may.

Dirty Dalton 06-06-2019 10:35 PM


Originally Posted by derekderek (Post 1599535968)
You may.

Thank you!

Willcox Corvette 06-08-2019 01:42 PM

Guys.. I hate to say it but I'm "Wiper motored out"

I get probably 20 questions a month on the c1-c2, c3, and c4 systems and I can't keep up with them. I try to post up helpful info that will guide you but I don't have the free time to single out each and every case.

There is enough info on the tech site to figure out the issue... Most of it I've posted above. But, I took the time to do the videos, and write these articles so please take the time to watch the videos, read the tech pages...... you'll figure out your issue.

Ernie

theandies 06-08-2019 02:04 PM


Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1599546631)
Guys.. I hate to say it but I'm "Wiper motored out"

I get probably 20 questions a month on the c1-c2, c3, and c4 systems and I can't keep up with them. I try to post up helpful info that will guide you but I don't have the free time to single out each and every case.

There is enough info on the tech site to figure out the issue... Most of it I've posted above. But, I took the time to do the videos, and write these articles so please take the time to watch the videos, read the tech pages...... you'll figure out your issue.

Ernie

Ernie, I know you have great intentions to help us all but I know how you feel. There are plenty of threads to search for and many members that have seen all the problems that can help. Please don't get frustrated thinking you have to answer each wiper thread as you are a great asset to this forum and we'd hate to lose you because of your frustration.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands