Sponsored by:

Wipers Decided to Quit Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Default Wipers Decided to Quit Today

........Yep, they became demon possessed. First, the wiper door opened after shutting off the car. As this was happening, I heard the sound of "swoosh" as vacuum was being lost. I decided to manually override and try the wipers......restarted the car, and the door closed. Then pulled the override ****. The door opened, but the wipers did not run. I tried the switch......hear a relay click, but the wipers will not run. Closed the manual override **** and the door closed. Pinched the red vacuum hose hose going to the relay by the right wiper arm and the door opened.......bad relay, won't hold vacuum. OK, but shouldn't the wiper motor itself still run? Well, went back to the console wiper switch....seems very loose and raggedy....intermittent contacts at best. Heard a relay click, but no motor run Well, I have on order a new console switch from Lectric Limited (supposedly theirs work better than others)...https://www.lectriclimited.com/switc...r-switch-92810 Also have on order a new wiper arm relay vacuum valve.....the U.S. made one that actually works, but costs double the cheap repros do. This one is sold by Zip, and Willcox.. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...t-really-works

Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of this. I'll jumper the motor, see if it will run. I guess 50 years is the lifespan of the C3 vacuum wiper system, at least in my case. Detroit Speed's electric wiper conversion is starting to look better and better, but is way more work than I'm willing to handle.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Everything works in my wiper system but the cheapass wiper motors. I've gone through 2 in one year. Hopefully your motor is good as I can't find anyone that makes a good motor and I'm tired of spending $100 and have no way of returning them because no one warranties their product because they probably know it's crappy.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are hearing a click from the relay, then the wiper switch is probably good. I would bench test the motor to make sure it works first and then check the wiring.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 AM
ThumpingLotus7
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure the limit switch on the wiper door is sending power to the wiper motor -- also confirm the **** under the steering wheel is turned on (clockwise).

To test the limit switch make sure the door is open -- unplug the red with white harness plug (is towards the middle of the car on the passenger side tucked by the distributor sheilding) use pliers with rubber handles to connect the two exposed tangs in the harness (not the switch) and you may find that your wipers work.

I've had that switch die on me before -- and it would read continuity but wasn't delivering the amperage needed to run the motor.

Also unplug and clean the contacts on the three prong connector -- I've had that problem before too.

Last edited by ThumpingLotus7; 06-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Thats the car protesting being driven in the rain
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here is everything I have on your motor...

Bench test the motor first... then you'll know if it's good or not. I'd do this first....

On your car remove the bell crank nut from the wiper arms. Then take every factory wire off the motor! Run power to the center terminal, ground the case and have two other grounds ready... if you test the motor this way and it works you've taken it out of the picture. Go watch the video below where we show basically what happens when in regards to the wires being removed for testing. It's the second one posted below and basically we pulled wires from the circuit and tested to see the end result.

There is also a video on how to test the wiper switch if you think this is the issue it's posted below.

Here are the main articles and videos on the web site to help you.

Upload this first... http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-with-test.pdf

Then review the items at this link. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/p...t=1969&s=wiper

And then review the following.... you'll find your answer.

Video on testing the motor:
1969-1972

Video on testing the wires

Wiper Arm Vacuum Switch testing the "Correct Way" to test.
69-72 Wiper Arm Vacuum Relay testing.

Willcox Testing a 68-76 Corvette Wiper Motor Switch

Ohhhhhh sooooo Free Simple schematic.

Willcox-

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-04-2019 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C3 Stroker (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Well, somewhat better news today. I found the wipers weren't running because the right arm was binding in the wiper door. The door was stuck with the arm and neither could move. Somehow, the door closed on the arm before it could park. I manually lifted the door and freed the arm. The motor runs, but continually "runs on" and clicks, not really stopping to park the arms even with the ignition off. They did stop correctly when I used the override switch, with the **** in the center position, however. When I jiggle the console switch, the wipers come on, but when going back to the "off" position, the "run on" continues until I manually turn them off with the override. Thanks, Willcox, for the info. Tomorrow I'll take another look and hopefully fix this thing......
Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Well, somewhat better news today. I found the wipers weren't running because the right arm was binding in the wiper door. The door was stuck with the arm and neither could move. Somehow, the door closed on the arm before it could park. I manually lifted the door and freed the arm. The motor runs, but continually "runs on" and clicks, not really stopping to park the arms even with the ignition off. They did stop correctly when I used the override switch, with the **** in the center position, however. When I jiggle the console switch, the wipers come on, but when going back to the "off" position, the "run on" continues until I manually turn them off with the override. Thanks, Willcox, for the info. Tomorrow I'll take another look and hopefully fix this thing......
Watch the wire testing video, it deals with wiper "run on". I believe the other one does too... That should answer your question. Then go to the tech site and search "wiper arm adjustment" That should stop your sticking issue.

Willcox
Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Thats the car protesting being driven in the rain
THERE is some rapier like wit!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I interpreted that as a serious remark! [These cars DO have a psyche, you know...]
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Some cars have the "Christine" attitude for sure. I've seen my fair share of these over the years.

E
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Watch the wire testing video, it deals with wiper "run on". I believe the other one does too... That should answer your question. Then go to the tech site and search "wiper arm adjustment" That should stop your sticking issue.

Willcox
OK, just watched the "run on" video. That means if I make sure the green and the blue wires are grounded inside the case, the "run on" problem should be cured, right?. Can this be done with the motor in the car?......I haven't taken anything apart yet.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Wiper motor run on is a problem in the green wire... Okay, this could be the wiper relay or a cut in the wire. If it is the relay, go to our youtube page, there is a video on how to take it apart and with some luck you can repair it with a point file.

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
C3 Stroker (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Wiper motor run on is a problem in the green wire... Okay, this could be the wiper relay or a cut in the wire. If it is the relay, go to our youtube page, there is a video on how to take it apart and with some luck you can repair it with a point file.

Willcox
OK, so the green wire goes to the relay.....in the shifter console - what a dumb place to put it. Oh well, the saga continues this weekend....
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Mine decided not to work this week too... Got halfway to work and it started pouring rain, wipers wouldn't turn on. I'll be troubleshooting this weekend.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

And, to continue...

Press the control to "Wash", voila, the door opens, the wipers sweep, just as one would hope. Release the control and the wipers park and the door closes in the most authoritative manner. A proverbial 'door slam'. However, any attempt to move the control to simple 'wipe', results in nothing. May I assume that the issue is with the switch?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:49 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

You may.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers Decided to Quit Today

Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by derekderek
You may.
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Guys.. I hate to say it but I'm "Wiper motored out"

I get probably 20 questions a month on the c1-c2, c3, and c4 systems and I can't keep up with them. I try to post up helpful info that will guide you but I don't have the free time to single out each and every case.

There is enough info on the tech site to figure out the issue... Most of it I've posted above. But, I took the time to do the videos, and write these articles so please take the time to watch the videos, read the tech pages...... you'll figure out your issue.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-08-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:04 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Guys.. I hate to say it but I'm "Wiper motored out"

I get probably 20 questions a month on the c1-c2, c3, and c4 systems and I can't keep up with them. I try to post up helpful info that will guide you but I don't have the free time to single out each and every case.

There is enough info on the tech site to figure out the issue... Most of it I've posted above. But, I took the time to do the videos, and write these articles so please take the time to watch the videos, read the tech pages...... you'll figure out your issue.

Ernie
Ernie, I know you have great intentions to help us all but I know how you feel. There are plenty of threads to search for and many members that have seen all the problems that can help. Please don't get frustrated thinking you have to answer each wiper thread as you are a great asset to this forum and we'd hate to lose you because of your frustration.

Quick Reply: Wipers Decided to Quit Today