CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Taking delivery - Which options to purchase? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284104-taking-delivery-which-options-to-purchase.html)

TheGadgetGuru 06-11-2019 08:03 AM

Taking delivery - Which options to purchase?

If all goes as planned, I'll be taking delivery of a new 2019 GS 3LT on Friday. I can only guess that when I arrive in the business office, there will be various add-ons that will be pitched to me. Typically, I skip over this step and don't purchase any of these items. However, since this is a Corvette, I'm curious if you feel there are any items, services or plans that are beneficial to have with a new Corvette. I'm guessing the tire/wheel insurance may be a good thing.

I welcome your input.

dave_2012_tt 06-11-2019 03:59 PM

I recently purchased a used CPO corvette and did not get anything...it was a 2lt Z51. Not sure if you read about the GS and Z06 have wider wheels, different wheels and suspension than a z51. There have been talk about cracked rims. Now, I know forums tend to make an issue occur more often that reality but I think here is something to it. even car and driver had issues. When I purchased mine the Finance person even suggested Tire and rim insurance. I said if I was getting a GS I would get it.

Now, not sure how many claims the insurance would allow or how the process works...you might have to wait weeks before they take action.

I would just look it over well. Make sure the keys work the trunk - heard sometimes this is broken on new cars.

dyoung 06-11-2019 04:55 PM

Yes,,the tire and wheel policy looks like it is a requirement.

TheGadgetGuru 06-11-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dyoung (Post 1599565014)
Yes,,the tire and wheel policy looks like it is a requirement.

Thanks!

I've already received an email from a Member who sells this type of insurance and I'll guess it will be at a lower price than from a Chevy dealer. However, I'm wondering if the discount will be worth it as should a problem occur and I've purchased the policy from a dealer, it's my assumption that all sides of the paperwork will be in the dealer's hands vs having to deal with a third party myself. Am I missing something on this? Don't get me wrong, I like saving money. But sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish.

Null Pointer 06-11-2019 05:26 PM

I usually pass on all those offerings, but when I picked up my new Mike Furman delivered Z06 in late May, I decided to take a 3rd party tire and wheel warranty that Criswell Chevrolet was offering. CONGRATS on the new car, too. Post pics when it happens.

Skid Row Joe 06-11-2019 08:34 PM

Inspect car for any scratches or damages - esp. to the paint.

Vetteman Jack 06-11-2019 10:52 PM

Yes, the tire and wheel package does seem like a good thing to consider.

If you are considering an extended warranty, check with other sources for the same plan before you go into the dealership to complete your purchase. That way you have an idea of what pricing options are available.

Also, if you want a PPF installed, see if the dealer has a vendor they work with and what price they offer - compare that to other sources for the install.

runner61627 06-11-2019 11:01 PM

+2 on the Tire and Wheel Protection, especially because of reported wheel bending or cracking on GS’s and Z06s. Check with Dennis Fichtner or MacMulkin for best price. Doesn’t matter which dealer you buy it from as long as it is GM’s plan.

JoeCT 06-11-2019 11:08 PM

Regarding a tire and wheel warranty, the question I ask myself is the whether the cost is worthwhile versus replacing all four rims if something does go wrong. My understanding is that a warrantee will typically pay to repair as opposed to replace and repairs are not necessarily a long-term solution. I would just weigh the cost against the chance that something will happen plus what it would cost to replace all four rims with for example a desirable forged set. It may be 2 to 3 times the cost of the warrantee but still worth the risk. I’m not speaking from experience, I’m just sharing my thoughts based on what I’ve read.

NinjaBum 06-12-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Null Pointer (Post 1599565211)
I usually pass on all those offerings, but when I picked up my new Mike Furman delivered Z06 in late May, I decided to take a 3rd party tire and wheel warranty that Criswell Chevrolet was offering. CONGRATS on the new car, too. Post pics when it happens.

How's that work with them shipping to put of state folks? Getting one through them as well. Can you get replacements through local dealer and get reimbursed or do you have to go through the issuing dealer?

rogue3standingby 06-12-2019 02:49 PM

<deleted>

rogue3standingby 06-12-2019 02:56 PM

<deleted>

Null Pointer 06-12-2019 03:17 PM

I see you live near Disney World. Ask the dealer to configure a setting called "Afterblow", which will help keep your AC vents dry and stop that musty smell when you first turn on the car. It turns the AC fan on after you have shut the car down. It requires the tech to use the MDI tool to set it, it is not a customer setting. It is available on most GM vehicles, though few dealers actually know how to turn it on. Anyone living in a humid climate like Florida should have this option turned on. Ask for it to be done during PDI so it doesn't cost you $100 to have done later after your AC ducts smell musty when you first turn on the car.

Null Pointer 06-12-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby (Post 1599570703)
Those warranties that are sold in the Finance office are usually offered and serviced by 3rd parties, so not like its just local to that dealer. They are national companies that do those. Usually you just call the company that's servicing the plan, and they give you instructions where to take it. If your local dealer also participates with them, that very well may be where you take it.

Ninja Bum - this is a good summary. I originally asked for the GM tire and wheel warranty, but comparing the two plans, the 3rd party plan seemed like a better deal. I guess I'll find out for sure when the rubber meets the road. Both require replacement with what is on the car as delivered, or as close as possible if not available. That would suck if you ended up with a wheel that doesn't match the others on the car if your style wheels are no longer available from GM. The one I got also covers cosmetic damage to wheels. You call a toll free number or go to a website and get a claim number and go from there. They ask for documentation if the wheel or tire can or cannot be repaired, and why it can't be repaired. Read the fine print and decide.

joemessman 06-12-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoeCT (Post 1599567213)
Regarding a tire and wheel warranty, the question I ask myself is the whether the cost is worthwhile versus replacing all four rims if something does go wrong. My understanding is that a warrantee will typically pay to repair as opposed to replace and repairs are not necessarily a long-term solution. I would just weigh the cost against the chance that something will happen plus what it would cost to replace all four rims with for example a desirable forged set. It may be 2 to 3 times the cost of the warrantee but still worth the risk. I’m not speaking from experience, I’m just sharing my thoughts based on what I’ve read.

I'm in your camp. I would just buy a reliable set of rims and be done with the worry and inconvenience. And how long does it take to get a wheel if necessary? I'll answer my own question. Too long!

Rebel Yell 06-12-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TheGadgetGuru (Post 1599565047)
Thanks!

I've already received an email from a Member who sells this type of insurance and I'll guess it will be at a lower price than from a Chevy dealer. However, I'm wondering if the discount will be worth it as should a problem occur and I've purchased the policy from a dealer, it's my assumption that all sides of the paperwork will be in the dealer's hands vs having to deal with a third party myself. Am I missing something on this? Don't get me wrong, I like saving money. But sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish.

Just make sure that member is selling the genuine GM extended warranty. They are accepted at any dealer in the USA. I suggest that you do not buy a third party extended warranty. The reasons are to numerous to mention. Let's just say I know through experience. Many members here have bought from Dennis Fitchner at Denny Menholt Chev. Also, Mike Furman at Criswell Chevy can give you a good deal also. Either will give you a good deal on the genuine GM warranty. The warranty will be in the GM system, and all the dealer's service dept. has to do is check it out on their computer.

Jmhornz71 06-12-2019 07:09 PM

In addition to these warranties I would consider GAP insurance if you are financing the car without a large down payment insurance. I would check with your auto insurance company or bank for their plan and cost. The dealer will have one too but may combine it with some other add on. :flag: