CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Stealership says I need them to program key fob (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4293700-stealership-says-i-need-them-to-program-key-fob.html)

Sylvrbak 07-09-2019 01:10 AM

Stealership says I need them to program key fob

So recently left one of my key fobs in the DR during a week of heavy drinking and relaxing by the beach. So I decided to pick up a new one at the dealer, needed the laser cut emergency key and wanted to ensure the correct fob for my 17 GS Coupe A8.

The Parts manager said he'd call when the key came in and a few days later he calls and i swing by to pick up the key, what would happen next was unimaginable, not to mention extremely unprofessional. The same gentleman who placed the fob and key on order, refused to hand over the parts i ordered. Simply stating that i need to take my car over to service so they can program the new key to my vehicle. I shared with him that i plan to program it myself. He still declined to provide the ordered key, adding that i could not program the key on my own. So i left, hopped in my vette and drove into the service bay, where the service advisor proceeded to spew the same B.S.

As calmly as i could i explained that i am not interested in having the fob programmed at your dealership, either assist me with my issue in the parts department or bring the General Manager. The service advisor asked me to walk with him back to the parts department, where he and i would then be ignored by the parts guy. When the service advisor requested that we need to provide the key for this gentlemans Vette. The parts guy never looked up or said a word. Then simply turned and went to the back room. At this point the service advisor clearly also upset asked another gentleman to assist us... at which point the POS in the back room yelled "im getting it".

I know i am going a long way to simply say, read your manuals and this forum, these two stealership representatives with their lies and total lack of customer service, would have me to believe i could not program the key fob on my own, without them., just to turn a buck... ought to be ashamed of themselves ill be a certified Vette tech as the years go by, cause of crap like this.

Thanks for letting me rant, and definately, thanks for all the forum posts on key fob programming and everything else.

dave_2012_tt 07-09-2019 07:00 AM

Glad you got your fob - just curious did they say how much they would charge you to configure it?

449er 07-09-2019 07:21 AM

Find another dealership to patronize

imaposer 07-09-2019 08:01 AM

Name the dealership. Save others the bad experience.

Sylvrbak 07-09-2019 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt (Post 1599721576)
Glad you got your fob - just curious did they say how much they would charge you to configure it?

Nope, never asked either. I could have easily ordered the fob for cheaper than i paid them, but did not want to order incorrectly, plus the emergency key was a necessity coating nearly 250. You'd think that's be enough margin for the day..

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1599721655)
Find another dealership to patronize

I would if i could, however, i have not had a good experience at the two in my local area. Also should have to go 50 - 100 miles out for proper service

eboggs_jkvl 07-09-2019 10:00 AM

IF they were going to charge you for the programming, then they are being dishonest.

I always thought the dealers in Texas were pretty fair with their customers. Guess, that is not the case.

Elmer

robertbruce 07-09-2019 10:48 AM

`Didn't happen if you wont name the Dealership.

AORoads 07-09-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by imaposer (Post 1599721813)
Name the dealership. Save others the bad experience.

I agree. We had to read thru 5 paras, calling them "stealers" and then to find out …. nothing. Don't you wish to share a name or would you rather someone else go thru the same treatment? Not trying to be nasty, just want to know your intent.

Edit: 2 post, little info. I'm done. Have a nice Corvette.

Avanti 07-09-2019 03:06 PM

An all TOO frequent account, in one form or another! Again, it just goes to show what genuinely motivates them despite all claims, "awards," etc. to the contrary. They'll nickel-&-dime their best customers to death (or, try to), thinking everyone is as dumb and short-sighted as they are! :crazy2:

Godsvett 07-09-2019 08:13 PM

How about telling us which dealership?

FX VETTE 07-09-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Godsvett (Post 1599726689)
How about telling us which dealership?

:lurk:

owc6 07-09-2019 10:53 PM

Starting in '17, it requires two recognized fob to add a third, but you still should be able to wipe the lost fob and start from scratch with the long program to add a new #2. AFAIK, only Canadian vehicles require the dealer to program.

Red86Cfour 07-09-2019 11:03 PM

What is a safety key? I bought my C7 used from a broker and just got two key fobs, with the hidden key inside).

owc6 07-09-2019 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour (Post 1599727751)
What is a safety key? I bought my C7 used from a broker and just got two key fobs, with the hidden key inside).

I'm assuming you mean the OP's "emergency" key, which is the key in the fob, so you can get in if the power in the car (or fob) is out (via the key slot above the rear tag). Most likely not a true emergency, but, then again, it might be.

Sylvrbak 07-10-2019 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1599727704)
Starting in '17, it requires two recognized fob to add a third, but you still should be able to wipe the lost fob and start from scratch with the long program to add a new #2. AFAIK, only Canadian vehicles require the dealer to program.

Yes owc6, thanks to the forum, Elmer especially, i was aware that i could wipe fob1 and reprogram both fobs. Which i have completed successfully. (I understand some have had troubles) As for the name of the dealer, it really does not matter, as i was not taken for a ride, despite the attempt. My purpose for the 5 paragraphs is simple "protect yourselves at all times" and thak you forum members for sharing your knowledge.

Red86Cfour 07-10-2019 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1599727803)
I'm assuming you mean the OP's "emergency" key, which is the key in the fob, so you can get in if the power in the car (or fob) is out (via the key slot above the rear tag). Most likely not a true emergency, but, then again, it might be.

Yes I misquoted and called it a safety key. Didn't know the key in the fob was called an "emergency" key. I would have thought that since I'm sure the OP was charged an arm and a leg for the fob and key that it would already have been cut, since the vin was known at the time of ordering. You don't need a key any more to have a replacement key cut.

fsvoboda 07-10-2019 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour (Post 1599728257)
Yes I misquoted and called it a safety key. Didn't know the key in the fob was called an "emergency" key. I would have thought that since I'm sure the OP was charged an arm and a leg for the fob and key that it would already have been cut, since the vin was known at the time of ordering. You don't need a key any more to have a replacement key cut.

The whole situation sounds like a failure to communicate up front to me.

BTW, $250 is not out of line for a custom fob and key, I regret to say. I paid that much for a 2008 Sebring key/fob that needed to be replaced and dealer programmed. However, both OP and dealer should have made clear what the total cost would be, and whether dealer programming was required.

:cheers:

pickleseimer 07-10-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1599724428)
I agree. We had to read thru 5 paras, calling them "stealers" and then to find out …. nothing. Don't you wish to share a name or would you rather someone else go thru the same treatment? Not trying to be nasty, just want to know your intent.

Edit: 2 post, little info. I'm done. Have a nice Corvette.

Agree. Another one-sided story, I'll take my click back now. One of the few things a consumer can do to avoid a similar situation, is knowing who to avoid. Easy to use some form of the word 'steal' when cloaked by an anonymous forum. Without actually naming the dealership involved all dealers in an area are suspect. I'm sensing more to the story here.

Red86Cfour 07-12-2019 11:28 AM

I had some chevy Tahoe keys made by the dealer. They wanted 30 bucks just for the privilege of having them retrieve the vin key cut, and then 10 bucks per blank to be cut. So over 50 bucks for having two keys made. Two key fobs (admittedly aftermarket ones sourced from fleabay) were 13 bucks for the pair. Programming was a five minute affair for that vehicle.

The Rabbi 07-12-2019 01:03 PM

This kind of treatment needs to go to the owner or general manager. I was a gm and would never allow my customers to be treated this way.