CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Wiring Diagram/Wire harness (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4293776-wiring-diagram-wire-harness.html)

Tim's88 07-09-2019 10:04 AM

Wiring Diagram/Wire harness

Ok, I am still having a few gremlins with the turn signals. Here is the order of events.

1st - Both turn signals would come on but not blink
2nd - Neither would come on when the headlights were on.
3rd - Left turn signal now blinks with or with out the headlights on but right signal still comes on, but not blink.

All bulbs are good and since the left is blinking, it is not the blinking unit. I know that it is a short. So would anyone have a wiring diagram of this system and would this be just a wiring harness I could replace? If so, how difficult of a job would this be?

Tim

Hot Rod Roy 07-09-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tim's88 (Post 1599722518)
I know that it is a short.

Be careful when you say "I know . . . ". Here's a fact for you to ponder: You're wrong.

A "short" will cause your fuse to blow (or a fire). You haven't said anything about blowing fuses. The word "short" means there is an abnormal path for current to flow in the circuit without the intended function being operational . . . the current finds a "short" path back to the battery, without going to the light bulb, motor, or whatever.

Tim's88 07-09-2019 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy (Post 1599724826)
Be careful when you say "I know . . . ". Here's a fact for you to ponder: You're wrong.

A "short" will cause your fuse to blow (or a fire). You haven't said anything about blowing fuses. The word "short" means there is an abnormal path for current to flow in the circuit without the intended function being operational . . . the current finds a "short" path back to the battery, without going to the light bulb, motor, or whatever.

Ok, I did not say anything about blowing fuses because no fuses have blown. The issue is very intermittent. One day, everything will be working, the next, neither will work, then later that day, only one will work.
If it is not a short, then what is it? I am more of a mechanical guy more that electrical. I just want to know if there is a fix.

Tim's88 07-10-2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy (Post 1599724826)

You still haven't given an answer on this. If I am wrong on this, please give me the right answer. If it's not a short, what is it? How do I fix it?
Please Don't say that I'm wrong then don't provide a solution. Be courteous, we're all on here to help one another.
Thank you.

xrav22 07-10-2019 10:15 PM

It sounds like a bad ground. I found a wire barely connected from the PO and my tails would act crazy. There is one at the end of the harness
at the drivers rear wheel well that must be clean. It comes off the drivers rear reverse light/side marker. The harness goes from the passenger compartment all the way around. I also had to clean the bulb connectors because of the old grease.

RWDsmoke 07-10-2019 10:40 PM

Do the stop lights work? How about the emergency flashers?

RWDsmoke 07-10-2019 10:48 PM

Are they incandescent or LED bulbs?

Tim's88 07-10-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1599734094)
Do the stop lights work? How about the emergency flashers?

Yes, both the hazzards and the brake lights work.

Tim's88 07-10-2019 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by xrav22 (Post 1599733999)
It sounds like a bad ground. I found a wire barely connected from the PO and my tails would act crazy. There is one at the end of the harness
at the drivers rear wheel well that must be clean. It comes off the drivers rear reverse light/side marker. The harness goes from the passenger compartment all the way around. I also had to clean the bulb connectors because of the old grease.

Thank you for the info. One question. What is the "PO"?

xrav22 07-10-2019 11:47 PM

Previous owner ,

Tim's88 07-11-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1599734138)
Are they incandescent or LED bulbs?

Incandescent

Tim's88 08-02-2019 09:43 AM

OK, I'm picking this up again. I am still having the same issue with the turn signal. I will accept that it is a grounding issue. Now, I need to know where that ground would be connected? Where would I start to look? I know I need to get a wiring manual, but I have to get this fixed this weekend. So I don't have the time to wait for delivery.

Anyone possibly have a diagram or knowledge of where to start?

Thank you,

Tim's88 08-02-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1599889262)
The ground connections for the front lamps are on the top of the frame adjacent to the hood hinges. One set on each side of the car.

It is possible that you may have a bad turn signal lamp SOCKET. I've had two of these break the ground tab internally within the plastic housing. These sockets are available at a local parts house. Cut the old one off, and splice the new one to the car's wires: Car wiring; Brown = running lamp, Lt Blue or Dk Blue = turn signal, and black = ground. The colors on the sockets vary, but you should be able to figure it out.

Note to HRR: You CAN have a "short" that does not blow a fuse. It is referred to frequently in the FSM diagnostic charts; "Short to VOLTAGE"

That is Great info! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much. I will post how it goes!!!

Tim's88 08-03-2019 06:29 PM

Ok, I'm about to go CRAZY now. Here's what happening now.

Before - Left turn signal worked how is should
Right side comes on, but does not flash.
When headlights are on, they do not flash
Hazzard lights work as the should

Actions - Pulled right bulb to check the bulb, socket and ground.
All good but the ground on the socket. A little loose.
Pushed ground back in reinstalled NEW bulbs and socket

Now - At first, both sides stopped blinking! Not sure why...
Then, they both started blinking VERY slow.
Still do not work when the headlights are on
Dash indicators stay on when the headlights are on.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Pulling my hair out!!!

xrav22 08-03-2019 07:03 PM

I dont have time to scan these but mabey that switch box is corroded and the grounds are a must to clean. This is from 85.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3d51753a51.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c06710189a.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fef2570533.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f0b7cb2e46.jpg

Tim's88 08-03-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by xrav22 (Post 1599898646)

Thank you very much!

RWDsmoke 08-03-2019 07:46 PM

You said your hazards work. They share the same bulbs, sockets, grounds and most of the wiring with the turn signals , Did you try replacing the turn flasher? Cheap and easy. If it is good it is most likely the turn signal switch. It is easy to troubleshoot with the schematic posted above. All you need is a volt meter or test light. Drop the driver side hush panel and you will see the turn signal switch on the steering column. Probe the connector wires following the colors of the wiring diagram.

RWDsmoke 08-03-2019 08:23 PM

If you need more help PM me. I have replaced my turn signal switch more than once in the 15 years I've had this car and I know the circuit well.

Tim's88 08-03-2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke (Post 1599898889)
You said your hazards work. They share the same bulbs, sockets, grounds and most of the wiring with the turn signals , Did you try replacing the turn flasher? Cheap and easy. If it is good it is most likely the turn signal switch. It is easy to troubleshoot with the schematic posted above. All you need is a volt meter or test light. Drop the driver side hush panel and you will see the turn signal switch on the steering column. Probe the connector wires following the colors of the wiring diagram.

I'm just confused why the headlights would effect them.

RWDsmoke 08-03-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tim's88 (Post 1599899317)
I'm just confused why the headlights would effect them.

Battery voltage drops a little with the headlights on. The contacts in the mechanical flasher could be worn and burnt and may not pass enough current to work the lights. I would replace the flasher with a modern electronic flasher. They are cheap and plug in just the same. If that doesn't fix the problem it will still make troubleshooting easier.