CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   Advice needed to Replace C6 Nav for Sony XAVAX3000 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4294985-advice-needed-to-replace-c6-nav-for-sony-xavax3000.html)

Thmprr 07-12-2019 09:38 AM

Advice needed to Replace C6 Nav for Sony XAVAX3000

Advice needed to Replace C6 Navigation Unit (tired of waiting for GM GPS time fix) for Sony XAVAX3000 head unit.
Being a basic audiophile, I need to know what adaption harness(es) to purchase, and any other information I can give to my New Zealand based installer.
I will be able to source any USA based parts if required, I'm asking this to prevent the likelihood of the unit being removed and preventing use.
I'm also taking this option to enable use of the European radio frequency system we use in New Zealand, e.g. 0.050 steps instead of the USA 0.2 steps, i.e. you use frequencies like 95.5, whereas we use any frequency between 87.5 to 106.5 odd or even steps.
I have been using the Navigation unit by way of a RangeRover DVD NZ Map disk, this still works, but has no time reference so can't work out journey time.

TorchRedFred 07-12-2019 12:29 PM

The most popular interface/wiring harness for a C6 is the Pac Audio RP5-GM11. Keep in mind that all C6's have a factory amp, so follow the same install directions regardless if you have the Bose system or not. The only other thing you will need is the Metra 95-3304 double din face plate. Also, it may be a good time to consider adding a backup camera as they are real easy to install with a new head unit.

Thmprr 07-12-2019 07:22 PM

Thanks, I note that the RP5 GM11 unit allows retention of Onstar, which is fitted to our Vette, but not available as a service in NZ, does that change things?
I will also fit a rear camera, as per your advice.
Best place to order, Amazon?

TorchRedFred 07-12-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1599745352)
Thanks, I note that the RP5 GM11 unit allows retention of Onstar, which is fitted to our Vette, but not available as a service in NZ, does that change things?
I will also fit a rear camera, as per your advice.
Best place to order, Amazon?

The RP5 works with or without OnStar so no issue there. Also the RP4-GM11 is also another option for cars with no OnStar. I ordered mine from Amazon also.

Thmprr 07-16-2019 11:42 PM

Thanks, I have purchased the Sony XAVAX3000 head unit which fortunately was on special $150 off locally.
Also ordered the harness and the fascia from Amazon, should be in New Zealand by the month end.
I have a query re reverse camera, the units on sale here that have tracking have a video system of PAL, which is the TV system common for our region, will this work with the Sony head unit? I have asked the retailer but got vague answers.

madsonp 07-17-2019 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1599769128)
Thanks, I have purchased the Sony XAVAX3000 head unit which fortunately was on special $150 off locally.
Also ordered the harness and the fascia from Amazon, should be in New Zealand by the month end.
I have a query re reverse camera, the units on sale here that have tracking have a video system of PAL, which is the TV system common for our region, will this work with the Sony head unit? I have asked the retailer but got vague answers.

This is from the Specifications section of the XAV-AX3000 owner manual. The way it looks to me, either PAL or NTSC will work. If you want to read the owners manual further, you can find it here https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47393172M.pdf

Monitor section

Display type: Wide LCD color monitor Dimensions: 6.95 in
System: TFT active matrix
Number of pixels:
1,152,000 pixels (800 × 3 (RGB) × 480) Color system:
PAL/NTSC automatic select for CAMERA IN terminal

Thmprr 08-01-2019 05:54 AM

I looked at the RP5 GM11 instructions, and the Sony instructions. Forgive me, but I need to ask why the need to connect to the Parking brake.
Is this to do with the GPS programming on the move inhibit, if so could this be grounded, to allow on the fly programming?
Also, it looks obvious, but I guess the RP5 GM11 harness needs to be spliced to the Sony harness, in regard to speakers etc.
Another question, if using my Smart phone via bluetooth, would the Google Maps provide the input to the Sony GPS or would the phone need to be plugged into the USB port?

madsonp 08-01-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1599880998)
I looked at the RP5 GM11 instructions, and the Sony instructions. Forgive me, but I need to ask why the need to connect to the Parking brake.
Is this to do with the GPS programming on the move inhibit, if so could this be grounded, to allow on the fly programming?
Also, it looks obvious, but I guess the RP5 GM11 harness needs to be spliced to the Sony harness, in regard to speakers etc.
Another question, if using my Smart phone via bluetooth, would the Google Maps provide the input to the Sony GPS or would the phone need to be plugged into the USB port?

Yes, connecting the green wire to the parking brake has to do with inhibiting the GPS programming on the move, I know there's ways to bypass this on the Kenwood, and Pioneers by grounding the green wire, but I don't have experience with the Sonys, I'm sure a search on the internet concerning this can turn up some info on it.

You are correct, you need to mate the harness of the RP5 to the Sony harness, pretty easy to do, just match wire color to color. Because of my lack of experience with the Sony systems, I'm not able to answer your last question, I suggest you read the owners manual in-depth and perhaps you can find the answer there.

Thmprr 08-08-2019 04:44 AM

A few questions re the PAC RP5-GM11

I have been joining the RP5-GM11 harness to the Sony connections, , most are straight forward, but there are a few that need to be queried.
1. Light Green wire. Googling this it seems that the Parking brake light green wire can be grounded if Android Auto is not wanted to be paused while hand brake or park is off.
2. Pink wire Vehicle Speed Output (Not needed?)
3. Purple/White wire Reverse Output (is this required if an aftermarket reverse camera is fitted, tapped into the rear reverse light power supply?)

madsonp 08-08-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1599927688)
I have been joining the RP5-GM11 harness to the Sony connections, , most are straight forward, but there are a few that need to be queried.
1. Light Green wire. Googling this it seems that the Parking brake light green wire can be grounded if Android Auto is not wanted to be paused while hand brake or park is off.
2. Pink wire Vehicle Speed Output (Not needed?)
3. Purple/White wire Reverse Output (is this required if an aftermarket reverse camera is fitted, tapped into the rear reverse light power supply?)

1) I know on the Pioneer, and Kenwood systems, grounding the light green wire can be done for the parking brake bypass, however I'm not sure about the Sony's, someone with more experience with the Sony's than I have will have to jump in here, and answer this question.
2) The pink wire is usually used on systems with navigation, since your system doesn't have navigation or a pink wire connection, this won't be used on yours.
3) The purple/white wire you connect to the purple/white wire on the interface if you're adding a back-up camera, this sends a signal from the car via the interface to let your head unit know it's in reverse thus switching the head unit to display the camera view, because this is done from through the interface, there's no need to tap it into a separate reverse light power supply.

I hope this helps

madsonp 08-08-2019 11:56 AM

I did come across this video concerning a Sony, you could try it to see if it works on your model also.

Thmprr 08-14-2019 01:13 AM

On the PAC RP5-GM11 harness are 2 leads red & white, ending in RCA male plugs. The instructions say these are for Rear Seat Entertainment
Audio Retention Harness. Not needed?

madsonp 08-15-2019 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1599964733)
On the PAC RP5-GM11 harness are 2 leads red & white, ending in RCA male plugs. The instructions say these are for Rear Seat Entertainment
Audio Retention Harness. Not needed?

Correct, those won't need to be connected to anything.

Thmprr 08-30-2019 05:22 AM

Everything went well

I had some help from a professional installer to fit everything. We had one scare when the original head was removed (I asked them if we should disconnect the battery, no they said) anyhow, dead ignition, no crank. After thinking, I said, the car probably assumes the audio head has been stolen and locked the doors, luckily the rear hatch was open, so their agile guy used the emergency release door handle, as soon as he did that the instrument lights came on and we were able to crank and start the car, to test the reverse switch for the rear camera.
Everything works well, absolutely no regrets doing this, and no harm whatsoever to prevent refitting the original head. Sound has never been as good as it is now, so I'm just getting used to blue tooth and Android Car Play.The navigation comes up very quickly through the Android system using Google Maps, and is easy to use.

madsonp 08-30-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thmprr (Post 1600067229)
I had some help from a professional installer to fit everything. We had one scare when the original head was removed (I asked them if we should disconnect the battery, no they said) anyhow, dead ignition, no crank. After thinking, I said, the car probably assumes the audio head has been stolen and locked the doors, luckily the rear hatch was open, so their agile guy used the emergency release door handle, as soon as he did that the instrument lights came on and we were able to crank and start the car, to test the reverse switch for the rear camera.
Everything works well, absolutely no regrets doing this, and no harm whatsoever to prevent refitting the original head. Sound has never been as good as it is now, so I'm just getting used to blue tooth and Android Car Play.The navigation comes up very quickly through the Android system using Google Maps, and is easy to use.

Good deal, glad to hear you have everything installed, and working :thumbs: Were you able to do the brake bypass on your Sony, or did you just not bother with it ?

Thmprr 08-30-2019 06:15 PM

Yes, tied the brake wire to the ground, no problem. Thank you for your help, I should have done this years ago, owing to the radio frequency problem alone. The GPS clock issue was the straw that tipped it.