CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Metrinch...where to buy? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/937778-metrinch-where-to-buy.html)

newbecorvetteguy 10-31-2004 11:44 AM

Metrinch...where to buy?

Just saw these mentioned in the thread about the kid rounding off his flare nuts. Is there a store like Sears or NAPA that sells them or are they strictly a mail order deal?

Cozmo 10-31-2004 12:01 PM

Ive had mine for 10 to 15 years and for the life of me cant remember where I got them. I did a google search and came up with several matches. Check this one out.
Metrinch 62 Piece Set

LD85 10-31-2004 12:08 PM

Got mine off the web but if I did it again, I'd probably just buy a metric set since I already have a couple of standard sets.

http://www.bracketmasters.com/Tool%20Facts.htm

c4sforever 10-31-2004 12:53 PM

i think you can get them at any sears store.

yellowlust 10-31-2004 01:13 PM

I got mine at Sears a few years ago. Not sure if they still carry them.

1Patriot 10-31-2004 04:43 PM

Sears

StingraySam 11-01-2004 01:25 PM

Sears; I was there yesterday and they had several different sets of wrenches and sockets on sale.

XQIZT 11-01-2004 01:28 PM

i'm that "kid". :toetap: and i was using the proper tools, but 19 years of gunk does not make for easy removal of brake lines. ANY wrench would have rounded them off, trust me. :crazy:

CentralCoaster 11-02-2004 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando85UCFvette
i'm that "kid". :toetap: and i was using the proper tools, but 19 years of gunk does not make for easy removal of brake lines. ANY wrench would have rounded them off, trust me. :crazy:

No! It's because you're incompetent. :D :jester

Did you ever end up getting em out?

newbecorvetteguy 11-02-2004 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando85UCFvette

Cool jets! I wasn't slamming you. The older I get, the more people become kids to me. One secret for the future in case you or someone else reading didn't know already is these frozen fittings often break loose if you hit the wrench sharply with either your hand or a small hammer. Just pulling on the wrench harder tends to round off the nut or break it off altogether. Most of the time one good sharp wack breaks them loose.

XQIZT 11-02-2004 08:43 AM

i'm not pissed guys....just getting more and more annoyed at this project. yea, central, they broke free. they really didn't have a choice. ya know how the hulk gets really pissed and can crush helicopters with his bare hands? picture that situation. last night i started putting it all back together. i need to just pick up one dust boot at the store today, and i HOPE that it will all button back together tonight with no more problems. i'll post pictures in a new thread when i am done.

and newbie, thanks for the tip. all the stuck nut stuff reminds me of when my dad and i were changing an axle shaft on my 91 z28. :willy: yadda yadda yadda, 2 drills bits and 3 days later i was driving the car again. :rolleyes: no matter how pissed we were at the time, its still a fond memory.

comp 11-02-2004 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ld85
Got mine off the web but if I did it again, I'd probably just buy a metric set since I already have a couple of standard sets.

http://www.bracketmasters.com/Tool%20Facts.htm

cool link, i'm printing ,,,I'll see if i'm correct on a few :thumbs:

93_vette 11-02-2004 01:12 PM

Another quick tip to release frozen brake lines: First soak them with a creeping agent like Kroil, (wd-40 doesn't work so well). Let that sit for a while. Then put the proper wrench on it and use a pair of grip pliers to lock on the open end of the wrench. (this stops the wrench from "opening" further when you apply pressure to turn. Works for me everytime.

93_vette

rocco16 11-02-2004 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 93_vette
Another quick tip to release frozen brake lines: First soak them with a creeping agent like Kroil, (wd-40 doesn't work so well). Let that sit for a while. Then put the proper wrench on it and use a pair of grip pliers to lock on the open end of the wrench. (this stops the wrench from "opening" further when you apply pressure to turn. Works for me everytime.93_vette

Cool idea! I'll keep it in mind for the next time I need it! Also, the KROIL is very good penetrating oil....much better than most of the stuff you get at Pep Boys. Thanks for recommendation.

Larry
:seeya

SurfnSun 11-02-2004 05:31 PM

Ive always liked my Kobalts...they have a the K-drive which is the same concept at the Metwrench idea of only touching the center of the nut/bolt.