Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:42 PM
icemang17
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, that sucks. Just plain bad luck that the valve failed. Under normal everyday driving too....very odd
Old 12-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Resleeve block and replace head and piston ?
Or, find a used block or complete short block, as you see then for sale all the time.
My shop said it'd still be expensive to resleeve and try to save what I have. Right now I'm looking for a used block or thinking about selling as a roller.

Originally Posted by Undy
Re-sleeving typically isn't possible due to structural breakage of the block behind the sleeve. Unfortunately, It's now a high priced paper weight.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Could always sell it for scrap alum 😁
At least I'd get something back!

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Sorry for your misfortune OP.

PM me if you are interested in selling As-is. Been toying with the idea of turboing my z06 but dont want to tear up a perfectly good running car.
Thanks man. I'll send you a PM.

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
Refresh my memory.... we’re these stock or fixed heads? If fixed, who did the work?
Originally Posted by pcguy2u
^^^ that was/is my question. Or who was the valve manufacturer? Be sure to hold on to all the parts until this is sorted out.
I believe he said AHP did the heads
Read above statement from OP. He states he had them done at AHP.
Correct, AHP did my heads a few years ago.

Things fail - **** happens!
Agreed, no blame pushing here
That's what I'm thinking. I think it's rare for this to happen to fixed heads. I'm just unlucky.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I saw that post, not sure how I didn't catch it. Deleting my post.
No worries!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Zero reason to have a dealer do anything unless it is under warranty. They will gouge the hell out of you. (rare expections like Abel in Norcal). So get it to a corvette shop and go from there.
Definitely can be true. A good shop did the teardown for me. Tomorrow the car comes back home as-is until I decide what to do.

Originally Posted by icemang17
Ouch, that sucks. Just plain bad luck that the valve failed. Under normal everyday driving too....very odd
Yeah. Actually I thought I wrote in one of my posts where this happened, but apparently I didn't. I was actually at a track doing my second track day ever in the car. I was always in third gear except one place I'm able to shift into second at the beginning of the lap (that's how I was driving it. Someone with more experience is probably shifting more often, but I was driving slowly to learn the line. I gave a lot of point-bys). Anyway, I was in third feeling great power throughout the lap until somewhere later in the track when the issue started happening. This was still in the morning. I didn't get a lot of laps in at all.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-19-2018, 01:22 AM
icemang17
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Corvette D
I played the racing game in Porsche’s for years. The best advice I ever got was this... “what part did you think was cheap, the Porsche part or the racing part”. The most honest and brutal advice I never listened too.

Your failure was extremely odd and rare. Pure bad luck. The fact it happened on track is no surprise to me. I have seen so many new pro built race engines blow on first weekend. Of course I’ve seen stock and built engines run on track forever. The old motto that stock is reliable is very true on track. To be honest I learned more endurance racing in 24 hours of lemons, with very low budgets than I ever did racing “real” Porsche’s. Being forced to go fast on a budget is much harder than “checkbook racing”.

As a new owner of a Z06 I don’t plan on taking it on track. It’s just too nice to take on track, never ever take a car on track you’re not willing to leave on track.
The following 2 users liked this post by icemang17:
Landru (12-19-2018), stevesvette (12-31-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Since it's an intake valve failure the first thing that pops into my mind is, were the lash pads installed? Did AHP do the head replacement or was it another shop?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

I have to say that looking at the pictures it seems the valve tip is below the retainer which would lead me to believe the lash cap was missing and the tip wore down causing the valve drop
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 929 Posts

It probably bailed when the rocker exploded lol. Its not a lash cap issue.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:53 AM
redbird555
Drifting

It probably bailed when the rocker exploded lol. Its not a lash cap issue.
I'm not so sure.. a rocker going to hell isn't going to push a valve stem passed it's locks in a split second. Not to mention is looks like the rocker is still holding pressure on the valve despite having the bearings puked.

you could also debatevwhetger the rocker let go and jammed the valve open or if something else happened
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

It isn't a lash cap issue, as it would have exploded way way way long ago and all the other valves have issues. It popped off when that one grenaded.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Tip of that valve is in good condition, thats not the source of this failure
Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

As I recall, AHP returns fixed heads for installation with a warning sign about the lash caps, but without the caps being installed. Do I remember that correctly?

What I get out of all the above is that a valve broke during normal operation. So how long had that valve been in use and who was the Mfg.?

Nick
Old 12-19-2018, 10:30 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Failed valve keepers? Or excessive valve lash and/or cocked valve spring/retainer that forces the valve to one side every time it hits; this obviously leads to metal fatigue in the valve.

Last edited by milosav2; 12-19-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 929 Posts

Things can fail out of nowhere guys - just bad luck. Sorry to the OP - time to build bigger and better 😁
Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
As I recall, AHP returns fixed heads for installation with a warning sign about the lash caps, but without the caps being installed. Do I remember that correctly?

What I get out of all the above is that a valve broke during normal operation. So how long had that valve been in use and who was the Mfg.?

Nick
the caps literally just sit on top of the valve until you put the rockers on. And obviously you can’t do that until you install the pushrods. Which obviously can’t happen until the heads are installed.

So of course they don’t - they can’t - ship with the caps installed.

Besides, you shouldn’t send them your caps to begin with.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Wasn't there another guy with a similar issue with AHP heads? Turned out the guides were super tight or something. Landed up chucking a valve just like this.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Or rocker bind caused the valve to hang open? It is an '07...so perhaps rockers are suspect?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:11 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Re-sleeving typically isn't possible due to structural breakage of the block behind the sleeve. Unfortunately, It's now a high priced paper weight.
Originally Posted by Corvette_D
My shop said it'd still be expensive to resleeve and try to save what I have. Right now I'm looking for a used block or thinking about selling as a roller.
RED machines out that entire area and installs full darton wet sleeves... All that damaged area is removed.

I think its rather economical, I want to say it was like $2000.

And they are in Oceanside, so you could bring the block to them and not have to pay shipping.

If the crank and rods are ok, you can re-use them. I believe to use aftermarket pistons you would have to send the rods to Katech and have them bushed(I think its 80-100 per rod). Get you some new pistons(CP, Wiseco, etc...). If the other head is ok, you just need one new head(classified section here). I bet you could get that motor going again for well under 10k all in AND have a better engine.

Last edited by rjacobs; 12-19-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Olnavy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Nitrobullitt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP did you have CHE trunion kit done when you did your heads? I did since mine is also an 07
cheet_code (01-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up

Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Or rocker bind caused the valve to hang open? It is an '07...so perhaps rockers are suspect?
I was thinking something similar to this honestly....

would be interesting to see what the guide clearances are though. Does the up have the PM or moldstar guides?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I'd like to see the surface finish of the valve stem. It's the coating intact? Any indication of galling?

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-19-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:42 PM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang17
Corvette D
I played the racing game in Porsche’s for years. The best advice I ever got was this... “what part did you think was cheap, the Porsche part or the racing part”. The most honest and brutal advice I never listened too.

Your failure was extremely odd and rare. Pure bad luck. The fact it happened on track is no surprise to me. I have seen so many new pro built race engines blow on first weekend. Of course I’ve seen stock and built engines run on track forever. The old motto that stock is reliable is very true on track. To be honest I learned more endurance racing in 24 hours of lemons, with very low budgets than I ever did racing “real” Porsche’s. Being forced to go fast on a budget is much harder than “checkbook racing”.

As a new owner of a Z06 I don’t plan on taking it on track. It’s just too nice to take on track, never ever take a car on track you’re not willing to leave on track.
Hey man, thanks a lot for the message. It's hard for me not to be bitter about the bad luck I've had. This car was one of my dream cars, and I remember having it as my computer wall paper 10 or so years ago thinking one day I will own one. It really makes me upset it had to end this way, but that's life. Besides the head fix and the dry sump tank enlargement, the motor was stock and ran really strong. I loved it.

After owning it for a little over a few years, I started seeing little things here and there that bugged me a little bit, but I overlooked them. But now that this has happened, I couldn't be more disappointed in the car.

I'm not even sure what to do about my next car. Actually I was thinking of Porsche at some point, but what you wrote me is a good warning. Maybe I should consider a much cheaper car for the track. Who knows, my head is all over the place right now.

I guess the message is don't meet your heroes? Or maybe the message is: it's just a car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up