Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tighter steering ratio, tighter on center steering rack for C5/C6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

i own a 09, and the new rack is not any better. still very little feel and feedback.
now ive never driven a pre 09, so maybe they somehow are worse.
i also have aftermarket race wheel.

i came from a 00 SS fbody where i felt very one with the car i could feel and sense everything the car was doing. when i swaped to the vette i felt like i was driving a simulator. totally disconnected from the car.

im obviously refering to feel here, not ratios.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-13-2018 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
42707rfz (10-08-2022)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Interesting you bring up an 09...my gf's car is an 09, so that's what I drive back to back, to my car...lol. She had an E46 330ci ZHP prior and I had the S2k, in addition to my Z06. The 09 steering is certainly different than the C5...that's how bad the stock c5 is. When she bought it I noticed an immediate difference/improvement over mine...this immediately compelled me forward and that's when I did the steering wheel. I wouldn't call the 09-13 ideal, but it's certainly better. On center is better, but I agree on feel...though I do think it has better feel than the C5 at lower speed. A very high level and accomplished gentleman driver I rode with in 2012 (he's the partner of a WELL known race track) had a ZR1 and commented then that he only drove the ZR1 with one hand, to actually feel what the car was doing. We did some laps and he indeed drove with pretty much nothing but his left thumb...lol...talk about smooth and fast. By his perception, that's how numb it was. I've heard Jan Magnussen comment the same and also drove the C6 one handed.

I've yet to drive a C7, but Tadge spoke extensively about the C7 having 500% increase in steering system stiffness, which they felt finally brought the C7 on par. I have repeatedly looked at Grand Sport...I just love this damn C5Z and I own it. I don't want a payment at this time.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:36 PM
calle86
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Has anyone tried something like this for faster steering in their corvettes? https://slrspeed.com/products/corvet...teer-angle-kit
I have a 2007 z06 that i use on street and trackdays and i feel that the steering ratio is a little too slow. This kit is mostly for drifting i suppose and I'm not after the extreme steering angle but it should speed up the steering a lot. Im just curious if anyone has tried something like this for a street/track car?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I've gone down to a smaller diameter steering wheel and solid ends...made a big different for sure. Getting a more aggressive alignment and the square setup also really increase the front end feel and response. I think the drift kits have too much angle built in to them, is my worry.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:24 PM
calle86
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will start about the same as you and if I'm not happy with that maybe i will try this one. I'm running 295s in the front and i'm rubbing a bit when at full lock. So more angle is not an option. Maybe mount like a mechanical stop so you can't turn more than factory?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Well, limiting the angle would address the one issue, but drift angle really isn't stable for a street/road race type of build. Even with caster built in, they can be really twitchy on center and frankly, plus the system loses leverage so it can make the car follow grooves and surface undulations much worse. It'd be one thing if that company made something that pulled the tie rod connection in slightly, but...that's a lot. I think stiffening the steering, going with a smaller diameter steering wheel (big difference) and even going with the Doug Rippie rack bushing are all things that will help a lot.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 AM
rad63
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any news regarding steering racks?

I now think that upgrading to newer part simply won't work on 2008 car. Mechanically everything fits, but electronics will be mad. Unless there's someone's experience in upgrade, I'm going to order remanufactured part of same year for my '08.

Also, what bushings do people recommend? DRM: Aluminum or Delrin?
KnightDriveTV (05-03-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM
AutoX-Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-03-2019, 03:37 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rad63
Any news regarding steering racks?

I now think that upgrading to newer part simply won't work on 2008 car. Mechanically everything fits, but electronics will be mad. Unless there's someone's experience in upgrade, I'm going to order remanufactured part of same year for my '08.

Also, what bushings do people recommend? DRM: Aluminum or Delrin?
I think this is going to be the basic conclusion without really diving into it. Later C6 has the variable ratio and on the surface sounds like it'd definitely be an integration issue. I haven't had the time/flexibilty to focus on it, but I've not abandoned it. I won't rest until I have quicker steering (even moreso than what I've gotten to thus far).
dowroa (05-05-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
i own a 09, and the new rack is not any better. still very little feel and feedback.
now ive never driven a pre 09, so maybe they somehow are worse.
i also have aftermarket race wheel.

i came from a 00 SS fbody where i felt very one with the car i could feel and sense everything the car was doing. when i swaped to the vette i felt like i was driving a simulator. totally disconnected from the car.

im obviously refering to feel here, not ratios.
I did the opposite of you but noticed the same. The 4th gen communicates WAY better through the wheel. I didn't know what I was missing in the Vette.
42707rfz (10-08-2022)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 05-12-2019, 12:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Turn one rebuild, solid bushing mounts and R7 tires will absolutely jerk you to the side of the track without much turn of the wheel.
I agree, nothing wrong with the original properly functioning rack. Some guys have 120k miles on an original rack, all season tires with low pressure, slop in the ball joints, shot shocks, and they think they need a quicker rack. Please. Back to basics. Not pointing the finger at op. Just sayin.
My C5z and c6z will both throw the passenger out the window if they are not belted in. Stock racks.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Your opinion of the steering will always be relative to what you've owned and driven prior, that's all I can tell you. I think the word "fine" is appropriate for the Corvette steering...it is indeed...fine. What it isn't is, great...not even close...it's just simply, fine. Putting someone through the window, due to lateral capability has nothing to do with steering precision, on center precision and feel. I can yank the wheel of a school bus and throw people around.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Your opinion of the steering will always be relative to what you've owned and driven prior, that's all I can tell you. I think the word "fine" is appropriate for the Corvette steering...it is indeed...fine. What it isn't is, great...not even close...it's just simply, fine. Putting someone through the window, due to lateral capability has nothing to do with steering precision, on center precision and feel. I can yank the wheel of a school bus and throw people around.
I've owned BMW's and instructed/driven Porsche. Best was a GT3. My point to the original poster and the "reviver" is that changing the rack ONLY is not going to do much. He can probably get 99% of what he wants with making sure ALL parts are up to spec, then getting tires with stiffer than oem sidewalls (not run flats) and setting front toe to his liking.

Your school bus must generate awesome grip.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-15-2019 at 11:43 AM.
mikeCsix (06-18-2022)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by froggy47
I've owned BMW's and instructed/driven Porsche. Best was a GT3. My point to the original poster and the "reviver" is that changing the rack ONLY is not going to do much. He can probably get 99% of what he wants with making sure ALL parts are up to spec, then getting tires with stiffer than oem sidewalls (not run flats) and setting front toe to his liking.

Your school bus must generate awesome grip.

Ahhh yes, yes...much better stated there...for sure. Getting components on the car back to OEM/factory spec is certainly the first step in the game.

As a matter of fact, I did own a school bus for a bit...lol. Indeed though, in 3rd grade our school bus driver was drunk and would fling us around quite a bit. Is was a fun first couple months until he was fired...lots of injuries on the bus...lol. He was a fun guy actually, he would try to jump railroad tracks and all of us in back would fly in the air. Oh the good ol 80's.

Been catching a couple of your smart string/camber vids btw...helpful to see how you attach to these cars, etc.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 05-15-2019 at 03:20 PM.
mikeCsix (06-18-2022)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks, everything I post & all the videos on my channel have one objective, just helping out with what I learn by doing myself. Of course there will always be different opinions on just about everything. Mine is just one.

KnightDriveTV (05-16-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Figured I'd add a square setup to my channel's list. I only started my channel a couple months ago, but I strive for good production quality and some cinematic flavor...that's my angle. It's the old wedding videography guy in me I guess. I love film making, so I'm really going to push some limits on my channel to make some epic sh*t if I can. For growth though, good quality info videos like Froggy makes are gold as well...

froggy47 (05-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Tighter steering ratio, tighter on center steering rack for C5/C6?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Mrsideways
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone tracked with the quicker steering knuckles listed above. Worried about breaking one and 2 how does the power steering pump handle it?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Im going from a c5 rack to a C6 rack from a 11 Zr1. Ive popped countless racks running 335 slicks, etc. I also have a T1 pump in my car. It is currently at T1 getting upgraded from 1200 PSI to 1800 PSI due to the load/strain from the demands.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Mrsideways
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chets LS3
Im going from a c5 rack to a C6 rack from a 11 Zr1. Ive popped countless racks running 335 slicks, etc. I also have a T1 pump in my car. It is currently at T1 getting upgraded from 1200 PSI to 1800 PSI due to the load/strain from the demands.
My Rack has developed a slight leak. I'm considering the same. Whats involved in the swap?

Quick Reply: Tighter steering ratio, tighter on center steering rack for C5/C6?