Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8-when will it be in dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
You know, in this day and age of "Spy vs. Spy," it seems manufacturers get a kick out of their "reveal" (or surprise.)
It was only a couple years ago when Harley FLOORED the motorcyclist industry with their new power plant/frame design. Nobody saw this coming.
How HD kept it a secret for so long, I haven't a clue.
Here's what happened~
The reveal was on Wednesday, and by Saturday, there were 6 or 7 motorcycles, at each dealership, NATIONWIDE.

How they kept the wraps on 4000 motorcycles, that were slated for delivery across all 50 States, ON THE SAME DAY, is beyond me.

My point? If HD can do it, so can GM...

Ford was very successful with doing it in 1964 when they had a new Mustang in the showroom of every Ford dealer NATIONWIDE , the SAME DAY as the reveal.

If my memory is correct, and I believe it is, Ford pulled off the same trick in 1958 when they revealed the new Edsel.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-12-2019 at 01:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
JerriVette (06-13-2019), John T (06-17-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
It would suck to take delivery of a C8 in New England in Dec-Feb and not be able to really drive the car much for a few months...
Originally Posted by JBHunter
Get it at The Corvette Museum and then drive to Florida for vacation?? Stop by and show it to me please.
Problem/Solution.
The following users liked this post:
JBHunter (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
You know, in this day and age of "Spy vs. Spy," it seems manufacturers get a kick out of their "reveal" (or surprise.)
It was only a couple years ago when Harley FLOORED the motorcyclist industry with their new power plant/frame design. Nobody saw this coming.
How HD kept it a secret for so long, I haven't a clue.
Here's what happened~
The reveal was on Wednesday, and by Saturday, there were 6 or 7 motorcycles, at each dealership, NATIONWIDE.

How they kept the wraps on 4000 motorcycles, that were slated for delivery across all 50 States, ON THE SAME DAY, is beyond me.

My point? If HD can do it, so can GM...
Valid point.

I think with Harley they changed the platform frame, but the appearance of the bikes did not drastically change. So I am sure with some camo it was not hard to road test the bikes and not make a scene or let the public know of a drastic change while field testing .

With the Corvette the layout to ME is so drastic, that even with tons of camo its hard not to pick it out in road/field testing which lead to leaks. I also think that the barrage of leaks, like I have never seen before due to excitement and anticipation, lead ( and forced) GM to admit to the car before the reveal when it was driven in Times Square in NYCity.

BUT, yes, you make a valid point that Harley Davidson assembly line production was already on line when the introduction/reveal of the 2018 softails was shown, since you correctly state that dealers already had stock of new platform bikes the next day. But remember that Harley's are shipped inside individual enclosed cardboard boxes to hide them until they get un-boxed at the dealers. Even today they are shipped inside boxes, so how would the shipper know or who would know at the dealership that whats inside is an entire new platform ? And dealers have more room to store bikes indoors inside the box away from prying eyes, since the bike takes up 1/4 the space of a Corvette parked.

Last edited by kratedisease; 06-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

I'm OK with 2020 C8 winter delivery........., unlike most owners, the weather never affects me.

Can you guess if thats my coupe or convertible ?

Last edited by kratedisease; 06-12-2019 at 02:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kratedisease:
John T (06-17-2019), Michael A (06-17-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Orangefanatic
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My bet is that it’s a convertible, no sign of rear buttresses.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

CORRECT !!,....... its a convertible

Originally Posted by Orangefanatic
My bet is that it’s a convertible, no sign of rear buttresses.

Last edited by kratedisease; 06-12-2019 at 11:29 PM.
bbbvettes.com (06-15-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Geez, TWO Corvettes stranded in the snow on the street. I wonder what is that owner’s garage being kept warm and dry.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by kratedisease
Valid point.

I think with Harley they changed the platform frame, but the appearance of the bikes did not drastically change. So I am sure with some camo it was not hard to road test the bikes and not make a scene or let the public know of a drastic change while field testing .

With the Corvette the layout to ME is so drastic, that even with tons of camo its hard not to pick it out in road/field testing which lead to leaks. I also think that the barrage of leaks, like I have never seen before due to excitement and anticipation, lead ( and forced) GM to admit to the car before the reveal when it was driven in Times Square in NYCity.

BUT, yes, you make a valid point that Harley Davidson assembly line production was already on line when the introduction/reveal of the 2018 softails was shown, since you correctly state that dealers already had stock of new platform bikes the next day. But remember that Harley's are shipped inside individual enclosed cardboard boxes to hide them until they get un-boxed at the dealers. Even today they are shipped inside boxes, so how would the shipper know or who would know at the dealership that whats inside is an entire new platform ? And dealers have more room to store bikes indoors inside the box away from prying eyes, since the bike takes up 1/4 the space of a Corvette parked.
Yup, how HD did it, I don't know. The bikes were delivered on steel "pallets" already assembled, right off the delivery truck. I saw it happen. And, it wasn't "just a new frame." It was new power plant, and rest assured, Harley owners are just as critical about new changes as Corvette owners. They both fear change. The reason they fear? Because it is an unknown.
You see, both Harley and Corvette owners want the very best when it comes to engines/driveline/everything. When they don't know what they're getting, they get scared, especially when they have "skin in the game." It's a risk they don't like, but have to take. Hardly any one here wants Corvette to fail. I certainly don't.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:38 AM
JerseyJack
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm gonna wait it out till the Z06 option is available! Having been a GM customer for over 40 years there growing pains are not something I'm willing to invest 150k into...I'll enjoy the C8 as a spectator till it's ready to hit the race track here in millville and actually win! Let's face it! This is GM's first supercars regardless of the C7 success this is a whole other animal that's gonna take time too tame! An immediate success would be great, but in my experience with GM it's safe to expect otherwise! Not a flop but issues I want ironed out! What they'll be is anyone's guess. Thing have a way of showing up when we get ahold of products!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:05 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyJack
I'm gonna wait it out till the Z06 option is available! Having been a GM customer for over 40 years there growing pains are not something I'm willing to invest 150k into...I'll enjoy the C8 as a spectator till it's ready to hit the race track here in millville and actually win! Let's face it! This is GM's first supercars regardless of the C7 success this is a whole other animal that's gonna take time too tame! An immediate success would be great, but in my experience with GM it's safe to expect otherwise! Not a flop but issues I want ironed out! What they'll be is anyone's guess. Thing have a way of showing up when we get ahold of products!

Thanks, so that answers when they'll be in the dealers showroom!
Red67John (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:35 AM
JerseyJack
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Thanks, so that answers when they'll be in the dealers showroom!
Actually, I was at Kerbeck yesterday and got that answer but since your sarcasm is typically of a GM driver making payments you can go ask them for yourself! Cheers!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Actually, I was at Kerbeck yesterday and got that answer but since your sarcasm is typically of a GM driver making payments you can go ask them for yourself! Cheers!
If I was to make a WAG I’d keep an eye on this annual Fall event at Kerbeck in AC. Note, I added the 9/28/19 probable date to the pic.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Sorry ,JJ but Z06 is paid for soon to be replaced by C8!
Was being sarcastic because your answer had nothing to do withe OP question.
Like many others.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:15 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Merry Christmas If Winter delivery doesn't work get the new Snow tires/and or have delivered to a sunshine state ......................................
Old 06-16-2019, 05:27 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

None of us know so Ill guess between Christmas and valentines day...
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
None of us know so Ill guess between Christmas and valentines day...
There is no way will buy a first year without real life reviews but like all of us here just want to at least see one, and a possibility to buy.
There should be a few more trades to view not bad.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

What's the possibility there will be one on display at Carlisle?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If I took a guess...100 percent

jMO
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerriVette
If I took a guess...100 percent

jMO
I’ll raise that to 800%. I doubt the GM Engineers Tent will have any C7’s on display. So, to fill the space there will probably be at least eight C8s under the tent, maybe even more just outside or across the way at the performance display. One of every color? I wonder what this years give away t-shirt will look like? It’s fun to dream.

Quick Reply: C8-when will it be in dealerships?