C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 7-speed Transmission in a C5 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default C7 7-speed Transmission in a C5 or C6

Gentlemen,

At 7:30 p.m. last Tuesday night my Z completed a journey that started at the 2013 North American International Auto Show. At that show Chevrolet debuted the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray. While other show attendees were gathered around the new Stingray, I was focused on a cut away display of the new TREMEC TR6070 7-speed manual transmission that would be available in the C7 Stingray.

I had read about the new Stingray offering a 7-speed trans, so I took my camera and a tape measure to the show in hopes that Chevrolet would have a cutaway model of the trans at the show. They did, and I took pictures of the trans from various angles and took pictures of it while place a measuring tape along its length.

As soon as I got home from the show I fired off an e-mail to Rodney and Jeremy at RPM Transmissions and asked them how the length of the 6070 compared to the 6-speed 6060 trans. They got back to me right away and told me that the 7-speed was 1.75 inches longer, and we talked about what I would take to install one in a C5. The consensus was that we would need to shorten the torque tube, driveshaft, and shift rod the same 1.75 inches. Unknown at that time was whether the bell housing on the rear end of the torque tube would fit in the tunnel once the torque tube had been shortened.

Later in the fall of '13 RPM purchased a completed TREMEC TR6070 transmission and did a teardown. What they found was that the 5th gear of the 6070 trans was narrower than the 5th gear found in the 6060 trans, and hence any 5th gear that TREMEC offered for the 6060 trans would not fit in the 6070 trans. So my choice of the 5th gear was made for me, unless I wanted spend big $ to have a custom 5th gear made.

In further discussions with RPM, we decided on the gear set for the 7-speed I wanted to have installed in my Z:

- 1st: 2.66:1
- 2nd: 1.78:1
- 3rd: 1.30:1
- 4th: 1.00:1
- 5th: 0.74:1 - The stock 5th gear in the base Stingray trans
- 6th: 0.63:1 - This gear came from my existing 6060 trans
- 7th: 0.42:1

Over the winter of '13 - '14 RPM gathered the parts we would need to do the conversion:

- A new TREMEC TR6070 Export transmission:

- A new The Driveshaft Shop carbon-fiber driveshaft that had been shortened by 1.75 inches:

- RPM sent out a C5 torque tube and had it shortened by 1.75 inches and ground off the exhaust hanger strap fastener bosses:

On Tuesday, May 6th, at 8:00 a.m. I was at RPM's shop in Anderson, Indiana. Led by Wes, and assisted by Guffey, Kurt, and Jeremy the RPM team worked tirelessly for the next 11+ hours to complete the conversion.

The removal of the existing C5 pieces went quickly. Because I had a slipping dual-disc clutch, the RPM team also installed a new American Powertrain SCIENCE FRICTION Atomic Twin Kevlar clutch assembly and one of their SCIENCE FRICTION Billet Steel flywheels.

RPM also took the time to shorten my existing C5 shift rod:

Here is a close-up of the weld that RPM did when shortening the shift rod by 1.75 inches:

There were some noticeable differences between the 6-speed 6060 trans and the new 7-speed 6070 trans. The first is the reverse lockout mechanism:

6060 Reverse Lockout

6070 Reverse Lockout

Next is the location of the trans pump.

6060 Trans Pump - Output Fitting

6060 Trans Pump - Feed to Gear Head Unit

6070 Trans Pump Output Fitting and Feed to the Gear Head Unit

Notice how the outlet and inlet to the Gear Head Unit on the 6070 are both on the driver's side of the trans. This cleans up the package and shortens the hose.

Next, Wes installed the trans-diff assembly on a lifting cradle and slid them into place in my Z.

The last remaining challenge was to relocate the Exhaust Pipe Spring Hangers. On a C5 they attach to the rear torque tube bellhousing:

In the shortening of the torque tube, we were required to move the hangers to a location at the junction of the bellhousing and the transmission:

We were also required to move the attaching straps further to the rear on the X-Pipe:

At a little after 7:30 p.m. Rodney took my Z for a ride to verify that it was safe to drive.

On the way down to RPM I had set my cruise control at 76 mph. My engine rpms with my 4.10:1 diff gear and the 6060's 0.55:1 6th gear was 2,300. With the 6070's 0.42:1 7th gear my engine rpms at the same 76 mph was 1,700. My fuel economy improved by over 15%, and the Z was much quieter on the highway. And the 6070 upshifts and downshifts are much easier to perform than the same shifts on a 6060.

The only item that we will need to adjust in the build is The Driveshaft Shop's carbon-fiber driveshaft. They do not supply any rubber couplers with their unit or the option to install rubber couplers. On the drive home, the NVH from the driveshaft was very objectionable. I will be purchasing and having RPM install a new carbon-fiber driveshaft with rubber couplers.
-

Last edited by Pumba; 05-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (07-17-2017)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Nice work buddy!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Nice work buddy!

Let me know if you find something on the CF driveshaft.
-
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Nice little write up. Probably more than I would do because of cost but interesting none the less. Question, did they have to do anything with the computer(s) or was it just straight plug and play? Looks like it was pretty much a straight forward install with some customization (i.e. shortening everything 1.75 inches).
Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good info! Sounds like a big project, but you got it done.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schizcat
Nice little write up. Probably more than I would do because of cost but interesting none the less. Question, did they have to do anything with the computer(s) or was it just straight plug and play? Looks like it was pretty much a straight forward install with some customization (i.e. shortening everything 1.75 inches).

No computer reprogramming was needed. It was a straight mechanical install.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very Cool
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gfacter
Very Cool

Thanks George.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM
NCCVINNYJR
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pumba
Gentlemen,

At 7:30 p.m. last Tuesday night my Z completed a journey that started at the 2013 North American International Auto Show. At that show Chevrolet debuted the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray. While other show attendees were gathered around the new Stingray, I was focused on a cut away display of the new TREMEC TR6070 7-speed manual transmission that would be available in the C7 Stingray.

I had read about the new Stingray offering a 7-speed trans, so I took my camera and a tape measure to the show in hopes that Chevrolet would have a cutaway model of the trans at the show. They did, and I took pictures of the trans from various angles and took pictures of it while place a measuring tape along its length.

As soon as I got home from the show I fired off an e-mail to Rodney and Jeremy at RPM Transmissions and asked them how the length of the 6070 compared to the 6-speed 6060 trans. They got back to me right away and told me that the 7-speed was 1.75 inches longer, and we talked about what I would take to install one in a C5. The consensus was that we would need to shorten the torque tube, driveshaft, and shift rod the same 1.75 inches. Unknown at that time was whether the bell housing on the rear end of the torque tube would fit in the tunnel once the torque tube had been shortened.

Later in the fall of '13 RPM purchased a completed TREMEC TR6070 transmission and did a teardown. What they found was that the 5th gear of the 6070 trans was narrower than the 5th gear found in the 6060 trans, and hence any 5th gear that TREMEC offered for the 6060 trans would not fit in the 6070 trans. So my choice of the 5th gear was made for me, unless I wanted spend big $ to have a custom 5th gear made.

In further discussions with RPM, we decided on the gear set for the 7-speed I wanted to have installed in my Z:

- 1st: 2.66:1
- 2nd: 1.78:1
- 3rd: 1.30:1
- 4th: 1.00:1
- 5th: 0.74:1 - The stock 5th gear in the base Stingray trans
- 6th: 0.63:1 - This gear came from my existing 6060 trans
- 7th: 0.42:1

Over the winter of '13 - '14 RPM gathered the parts we would need to do the conversion:

- A new TREMEC TR6070 Export transmission:

- A new The Driveshaft Shop carbon-fiber driveshaft that had been shortened by 1.75 inches:

- RPM sent out a C5 torque tube and had it shortened by 1.75 inches and ground off the exhaust hanger strap fastener bosses:

On Tuesday, May 6th, at 8:00 a.m. I was at RPM's shop in Anderson, Indiana. Led by Wes, and assisted by Guffey, Kurt, and Jeremy the RPM team worked tirelessly for the next 11+ hours to complete the conversion.

The removal of the existing C5 pieces went quickly. Because I had a slipping dual-disc clutch, the RPM team also installed a new American Powertrain SCIENCE FRICTION Atomic Twin Kevlar clutch assembly and one of their SCIENCE FRICTION Billet Steel flywheels.

RPM also took the time to shorten my existing C5 shift rod:

Here is a close-up of the weld that RPM did when shortening the shift rod by 1.75 inches:

There were some noticeable differences between the 6-speed 6060 trans and the new 7-speed 6070 trans. The first is the reverse lockout mechanism:

6060 Reverse Lockout

6070 Reverse Lockout

Next is the location of the trans pump.

6060 Trans Pump - Output Fitting

6060 Trans Pump - Feed to Gear Head Unit

6070 Trans Pump Output Fitting and Feed to the Gear Head Unit

Notice how the outlet and inlet to the Gear Head Unit on the 6070 are both on the driver's side of the trans. This cleans up the package and shortens the hose.

Next, Wes installed the trans-diff assembly on a lifting cradle and slid them into place in my Z.

The last remaining challenge was to relocate the Exhaust Pipe Spring Hangers. On a C5 they attach to the rear torque tube bellhousing:

In the shortening of the torque tube, we were required to move the hangers to a location at the junction of the bellhousing and the transmission:

We were also required to move the attaching straps further to the rear on the X-Pipe:

At a little after 7:30 p.m. Rodney took my Z for a ride to verify that it was safe to drive.

On the way down to RPM I had set my cruise control at 76 mph. My engine rpms with my 4.10:1 diff gear and the 6060's 0.55:1 6th gear was 2,300. With the 6070's 0.42:1 7th gear my engine rpms at the same 76 mph was 1,700. My fuel economy improved by over 15%, and the Z was much quieter on the highway. And the 6070 upshifts and downshifts are much easier to perform than the same shifts on a 6060.

The only item that we will need to adjust in the build is The Driveshaft Shop's carbon-fiber driveshaft. They do not supply any rubber couplers with their unit or the option to install rubber couplers. On the drive home, the NVH from the driveshaft was very objectionable. I will be purchasing and having RPM install a new carbon-fiber driveshaft with rubber couplers.
-
How is your 7 speed working now. Im doing the same thing to my C5 next week. Did you have to modify the floors at all in your vette to fit the 7 speed? Do you have any other pictures of the swap? Perhaps where they decided to cut and shorten the torque tube? Any other suggestions?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:48 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you provide a ball-park cost analysis in all of this for others like ME interested...!!

I'm wondering how this changes things going down the 1320?
HC Mechanic (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
Can you provide a ball-park cost analysis in all of this for others like ME interested...!!

I'm wondering how this changes things going down the 1320?
It wouldn't anymore than a 6 speed, since it is just an extra overdrive gear.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Very cool project

You could certainly stack your gears with better purpose if you had 7 ratios to play with. Running 4:10's did you make your 1st through 4th slightly taller?

Can't stand the jump from 4th to 5th on my '06 Z51 box, been thinking of finding a ZR1 trans to swap in there..
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I was more referencing the gear difference in trapping
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

4th is still 1:1, so without swapping rear gears, won't help and like I said, an extra over drive has zero effect on racing, just highway cruising gas mileage.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Z51vette08
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, would an 09 newer c6 torque rube work? They are shorter from the factory. Not sure how much.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM
NCCVINNYJR
Cruising

Default 7 speed swap in a C5

Originally Posted by Z51vette08
Just curious, would an 09 newer c6 torque rube work? They are shorter from the factory. Not sure how much.
From what I've learned the safest bet would be to just get a manual transmission torque tube from your year vehiclevehicle...or similar year and mofify it as described. Or call the guys at RPM transmission and ask them if the 09 tube will work.
This entire swap has cost me a total of
$1750 donor parts
$2000 used c7 7 speed tranny
​​$1200 C6 z06 rear dif
$350 rear dif mounts
$500 rear coil overs

And you have to come uo with a way to trigger reverse lights because the c7 7 speed tranny doesn't have a provision for reverse lights like most trannies do. Im using a micro switch mounted to the linkage inside the console to trigger the reverse lights. My shop specializes in the modifications of regular street vehicles into street legal monsters. Check out our Facebook page. NCC Racing Products. We can do anything you can dream up. And the best part is that I make sure to destroy the competitions pricing. I get parts cheap and pass that savings onto my customers. We are constantly doing R&D on anything with an engine.

7/26/17
Today I pulled out all the automatic parts and started swapping them out for the manual stuff. Pulled out the automatic brake pedal and swapped it for a manual brake pedal. Also installed the clutch pedal. Dropping off the torque tube, driveshaft, and shift linkage rod tomorrow to be shortened 1.75". The c6 Z06 rear diff will be here tomorrow. I hope to have everything finished by Friday night and driving around Saturday morning. The only issue I am running into is I was told the 7 speed tranny does not have a reverse light switch but my contact at GM said it actually does? So I'm going to have to do some testing to confirm that. The whole point to this build was to do it on a budget. This has cost me about $6K total to do. Not too bad considering that the C7 corvette is 10x that much money. Sure the c7 has more power and options...for now Once I drop in the twin turbo lsx427 making 1200RWHP at 7K RPM then I'll be crushing the C7 performance numbers and top speed with a 7 speed is absolutely insane!! I think if we hit redline in 7th gear we will be traveling back in time!! I don't think there is enough open road here in NC to see that level of speed. May have to plan a trip out West and find a looong deserted highway. I'll post the final chapter of this build with pictures once I'm done this weekend.

Last edited by NCCVINNYJR; 07-26-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Continue
HC Mechanic (07-27-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 PM
NCCVINNYJR
Cruising

Default Bellhousing issue

Originally Posted by NCCVINNYJR
From what I've learned the safest bet would be to just get a manual transmission torque tube from your year vehiclevehicle...or similar year and mofify it as described. Or call the guys at RPM transmission and ask them if the 09 tube will work.
This entire swap has cost me a total of
$1750 donor parts
$2000 used c7 7 speed tranny
​​$1200 C6 z06 rear dif
$350 rear dif mounts
$500 rear coil overs

And you have to come uo with a way to trigger reverse lights because the c7 7 speed tranny doesn't have a provision for reverse lights like most trannies do. Im using a micro switch mounted to the linkage inside the console to trigger the reverse lights. My shop specializes in the modifications of regular street vehicles into street legal monsters. Check out our Facebook page. NCC Racing Products. We can do anything you can dream up. And the best part is that I make sure to destroy the competitions pricing. I get parts cheap and pass that savings onto my customers. We are constantly doing R&D on anything with an engine.

7/26/17
Today I pulled out all the automatic parts and started swapping them out for the manual stuff. Pulled out the automatic brake pedal and swapped it for a manual brake pedal. Also installed the clutch pedal. Dropping off the torque tube, driveshaft, and shift linkage rod tomorrow to be shortened 1.75". The c6 Z06 rear diff will be here tomorrow. I hope to have everything finished by Friday night and driving around Saturday morning. The only issue I am running into is I was told the 7 speed tranny does not have a reverse light switch but my contact at GM said it actually does? So I'm going to have to do some testing to confirm that. The whole point to this build was to do it on a budget. This has cost me about $6K total to do. Not too bad considering that the C7 corvette is 10x that much money. Sure the c7 has more power and options...for now Once I drop in the twin turbo lsx427 making 1200RWHP at 7K RPM then I'll be crushing the C7 performance numbers and top speed with a 7 speed is absolutely insane!! I think if we hit redline in 7th gear we will be traveling back in time!! I don't think there is enough open road here in NC to see that level of speed. May have to plan a trip out West and find a looong deserted highway. I'll post the final chapter of this build with pictures once I'm done this weekend.
I am running into an issue that I wanted to bounce off you fellow corvette fans. Have all the parts for the automatic tranny to manual swap...or so I thought. Apparently the bellhousing that goes on the back of the engine will not fit over the new clutch assembly I have? I read that the automatic tranny bellhousing will work if you grind in relief notches for the slave cylinder lines and use a 10.5" clutch. Well I didn't read that info until after I purchased a new clutch assembly which is NOT a 10.5" clutch. Just ordered a clutch that listed to fit a c5 corvette and did not consider the bellhousing would be an issue. Do you guys know what needs to be done here? I assume that there is a manual transmission bellhousing option available? Something that already has the slave cylinder line notches in it and is a little wider to fit the clutch assembly but isn't any deeper as to affect the driveshaft/torque tube length? I see there was a 2 piece bellhousing option available on some corvettes? Will that work for me? Im trying to avoid spending huge money on a sfi bellhousing. Any suggestions would be great. Im hoping that just locating a stock c5 manual tranny bellhousing will solve the issue. Being that it's Saturday now I'm totally screwed for the weekend and will have to wait until Monday to locate a solution. Otherwise I have all the other items laying on the garage floor waiting to be installed. Have a 2007 z06 rear differential with a cooler attached already bolted onto the new c7 7 speed tranny and the new coil over shocks hanging in place waiting to be attached to the lower control arms. Had the driveshaft and torque tube and shift linkage rod all shortened 1.75" and also swapped out the pedals and wire harness. This bellhousing issue is my last hurdle. Any help and or suggested bellhousing part numbers would be great guys!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 7-speed Transmission in a C5 or C6

Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 PM
NCCVINNYJR
Cruising

Default 7 speed swap in a C5

I am running into an issue that I wanted to bounce off you fellow corvette fans. Have all the parts for the automatic tranny to manual swap...or so I thought. Apparently the bellhousing that goes on the back of the engine will not fit over the new clutch assembly I have? I read that the automatic tranny bellhousing will work if you grind in relief notches for the slave cylinder lines and use a 10.5" clutch. Well I didn't read that info until after I purchased a new clutch assembly which is NOT a 10.5" clutch. Just ordered a clutch that listed to fit a c5 corvette and did not consider the bellhousing would be an issue. Do you guys know what needs to be done here? I assume that there is a manual transmission bellhousing option available? Something that already has the slave cylinder line notches in it and is a little wider to fit the clutch assembly but isn't any deeper as to affect the driveshaft/torque tube length? I see there was a 2 piece bellhousing option available on some corvettes? Will that work for me? Im trying to avoid spending huge money on a sfi bellhousing. Any suggestions would be great. Im hoping that just locating a stock c5 manual tranny bellhousing will solve the issue. Being that it's Saturday now I'm totally screwed for the weekend and will have to wait until Monday to locate a solution. Otherwise I have all the other items laying on the garage floor waiting to be installed. Have a 2007 z06 rear differential with a cooler attached already bolted onto the new c7 7 speed tranny and the new coil over shocks hanging in place waiting to be attached to the lower control arms. Had the driveshaft and torque tube and shift linkage rod all shortened 1.75" and also swapped out the pedals and wire harness. This bellhousing issue is my last hurdle. Any help and or suggested bellhousing part numbers would be great guys!
Update.
Solved the bellhousing issue. Apparently there is a 2 piece bellhousing that is used on the manual cars. Just wrapped up the 7 speed install. All I have left to do is hook up the wiring for the neutral safety switch and reverse lights. Overall the project was pretty easy...as long as you have a reputable company shorten the torque tube and driveshaft and shift linkage rod the 1.75". It's extremely important that whoever does that step makes absolutely sure that they don't accidentally weld the torque tube back together crooked or twisted. Same with the shift linkage rod. If anyone needs a place to do it I can help with that. Fairly cheap process...my cost is $350 to have it done.
So for those of you who want to do this project yourself like I did heres the cost breakdown....

2014 7 speed z51 Tranny $2000
Torque tube,driveshaft, shift linkage rod, wire harness, clutch pedal,shifter,master and slave cylinder ...all from a 2001 manual tranny c5 donor car $750
C5 Manual tranny Bellhousing $200
2007 c6 z06 rear diff and cradle $2000
Hinson Motorsports rear diff mounts $350
Coil Overs $450
Machine work $350​​​
Clutch $300
Miscellaneous $250

Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Update.
Solved the bellhousing issue. Apparently there is a 2 piece bellhousing that is used on the manual cars. Just wrapped up the 7 speed install. All I have left to do is hook up the wiring for the neutral safety switch and reverse lights. Overall the project was pretty easy...as long as you have a reputable company shorten the torque tube and driveshaft and shift linkage rod the 1.75". It's extremely important that whoever does that step makes absolutely sure that they don't accidentally weld the torque tube back together crooked or twisted. Same with the shift linkage rod. If anyone needs a place to do it I can help with that. Fairly cheap process...my cost is $350 to have it done.
So for those of you who want to do this project yourself like I did heres the cost breakdown....

2014 7 speed z51 Tranny $2000
Torque tube,driveshaft, shift linkage rod, wire harness, clutch pedal,shifter,master and slave cylinder ...all from a 2001 manual tranny c5 donor car $750
C5 Manual tranny Bellhousing $200
2007 c6 z06 rear diff and cradle $2000
Hinson Motorsports rear diff mounts $350
Coil Overs $450
Machine work $350​​​
Clutch $300
Miscellaneous $250

Congratulations on your TR6070 install.

My trans is working beautifully. Since I have had it I have changed the 1st, 5th, and 6th gear ratios. See my signature.

NemesisC5 (10-31-2019)
Old 08-10-2017, 07:23 PM
NCCVINNYJR
Cruising

Default Tranny temp sensor?? HELP

Originally Posted by Pumba
Congratulations on your TR6070 install.

My trans is working beautifully. Since I have had it I have changed the 1st, 5th, and 6th gear ratios. See my signature.

I am stuck on one final issue. My car was originally an automatic. The dash readout used to show the tranny temp. The new 7 speed has a tranny temp sensor. I still have the automatic tranny wire harness. Where in that harness is the tranny temp sensor wires? I found the neutral safety wires and plugged them into where they needed to be in the manual harness plug behind the battery. I want to do the same thing with the tranny temp wires..there should be 2 of them. Can anyone helo me?

Quick Reply: C7 7-speed Transmission in a C5 or C6