Sponsored by:

Restoration journey begins!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Restoration journey begins!!

In the following weeks we will begin the restoration of our girl. We have opted to keep her road worthy as long as possible and will be addressing the transmission, engine, suspension and steering upgrades first. The body work will be addressed at a later time as the mechanic said she was in amazing shape for a "survivor". So, this is where I need some advice from everyone willing to share. As I stated, this had been a project car, my dad and I were going to restore together, but since he passed in January I am on my own, but will honor him by completing our project. He wanted to make some performance upgrades to the engine, while keeping it as original as possible. What upgrades would you recommend for the engine?? Plan to keep it original but want to improve performance. Thank you in advance for your expertise and advice.

Last edited by c1nicole; 05-11-2017 at 07:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by c1nicole:
A10pilot (08-23-2019), BV85 (02-13-2017), snide (08-26-2022)

Popular Reply

02-21-2020, 11:56 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Today is my Dads birthday. Miss you so much dad.

This is him in his 68 E~type jag.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Since I'm a rookie I have no upgrade suggestions.....but I'll be watching your project to learn as much as I can!

The following users liked this post:
c1nicole (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Well it all depends. Performance upgrades MAY require the engine being pulled an rebuilt internally to give more power or use parts that are more with current technology. If when you mention 'performance'...you are actually referring to engine power

Attempting to still keep it facotry in appearance and yet do upgrades is separated by a really fine line. You will have to decide where that line is drawn.

Ignition upgrades can be done where the current points distributor is re-used but gutted and outfitted with new internal parts...or it can be replaced with a MSD system where you have a control box that you can hide the best you can.

Exhaust...either leavign the cast iron manifolds or putting on headers. Headers will loose the factory look but aid in increasing more power....depending on how much you actually want coming out of the engine

I can keep this going on and on.... but like I tell my customers who want to do much like what you want to do. I have to clearly get see what you expect when the Corvette is completed. You clearly communicated what you want...but like I wrote...there is a really fine line on keeping it stock and upgrading it....many areas may/will require a trade-off of some degree.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-23-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Well it all depends. Performance upgrades MAY require the engine being pulled an rebuilt internally to give more power or use parts that are more with current technology. If when you mention 'performance'...you are actually referring to engine power

Attempting to still keep it facotry in appearance and yet do upgrades is separated by a really fine line. You will have to decide where that line is drawn.

Ignition upgrades can be done where the current points distributor is re-used but gutted and outfitted with new internal parts...or it can be replaced with a MSD system where you have a control box that you can hide the best you can.

Exhaust...either leavign the cast iron manifolds or putting on headers. Headers will loose the factory look but aid in increasing more power....depending on how much you actually want coming out of the engine

I can keep this going on and on.... but like I tell my customers who want to do much like what you want to do. I have to clearly get see what you expect when the Corvette is completed. You clearly communicated what you want...but like I wrote...there is a really fine line on keeping it stock and upgrading it....many areas may/will require a trade-off of some degree.

DUB
DUB,
I agree, fine line. My Dad and I even discussed pulling the original 427, shelving it, and putting in a crate engine. He had debated running it on the 1/4, I will however only be using it as a fair weather driver and put it in the occasional small town auto show. His other baby he left me, is a concourse level jaguar that I won't ever put on the road. She (vette) still runs nice now, but leaks like crazy. I want to keep her on the road for the most part during the restoration, but don't want to limit the quality of a body off restoration just to be able to enjoy her in the mean time. Decisions decisions! 😳
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Looking forward to following your progress!

My condolences on the passing of your father - and what a great way to honor your relationship. I have a car in long-term storage that my mom/dad drove for years and I just can't part with it.

On your engine question, I faced the same type of situation some time ago when I was restoring a '72 Hurst/Olds convertible pace car. The stock 455 had 'sufficient' torque/hp, but I wanted more - but also wanted to keep it completely stock looking from the outside because they only built 130 of them. I had the heads worked, put in a more aggressive cam, beefed up the trans (all of them were TH) and added a stall converter to handle the cam. Changed the rear gears from 3.23 to 3.42 (actual pace car had 3.42 as well). Worked the stock exhaust manifolds to flow better - certainly not as good as headers but matched the ports and polished them like the heads. Had the stock QJet reworked. When done the car turned mid-high 12's (not bad for a 4XXX lb car) and it looked completely stock. Won all sorts of awards with that car including the Muscle Car Nationals, and it was a ton of fun. Just a thought - as I'll bet your 427 would really benefit from the same type of treatment.

Last edited by Hopper12; 08-23-2016 at 11:46 PM.
c1nicole (08-23-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Hopper. Yes, this car has a significant amount of sentimental value. My dad taught me so many things over the years. Being his only child, and a daughter at that, he wasn't much for girly stuff, so I was a tomboy and loved every minute of fishing, dirt bike riding and motorcycle riding with him. I spent countless hours in the garage with him, but although I was the "tool girl", I sadly didn't learn how to do so many of the things in which he was very gifted. I really miss having his expertise! This was us at one of the "rat raid" rides in Arkansas. It was our last group ride together. I had to ride my own bike, because I hated being a passenger.

Last edited by c1nicole; 08-25-2016 at 09:12 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by c1nicole:
firstgenaddict (11-14-2019), Hopper12 (08-24-2016), redcruz1120 (01-09-2019), SS327 (04-09-2024)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by c1nicole
DUB,
Decisions decisions! 😳
BOY OH BOY do I know that all too well.

I know how I would do it if it were mine...but that means nothing in this situation.

As for the major leaks...if that is one of your major concerns. Hopefully those who are working on it with you should be able to pull the engine out of the frame when the body is off and re-gasket it if that is all you want done. But as you may already know...'thing;' can begin to snowball and one thing leads to another and then to another, etc.

Not to be condescending at all...I feel you are quite blessed in having the opportunity to experience many things that my sisters would never even think of doing.

Sorry about you Dads passing also...I know how it feels due to mine left us several months ago...and I miss his wisdom and his laugh.

DUB
Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

I will be having Joe Loomis (Loomis automotive OKC) do the majority of the work on her. In your opinion, what are the benefits of putting a crate engine in as opposed to reworking cams, headers, exhaust etc on the original 427? I want her to look as original as possible, shake the ground with a deep throaty grumble and hey, a few extra HP wouldn't hurt anyone!!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Restoration

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I have had my 68 for 44 years. My late dad and I worked on it together. I have already rebuilt a Chevelle with my son. So I get it. That said, start with a plan and a budget. Double your budget and double your time. Lastly, have some fun and if your mom is still with you. take her for a ride in the finished product. Good luck. Jerry
c1nicole (03-16-2017)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I will be having Joe Loomis (Loomis automotive OKC) do the majority of the work on her. In your opinion, what are the benefits of putting a crate engine in as opposed to reworking cams, headers, exhaust etc on the original 427? I want her to look as original as possible, shake the ground with a deep throaty grumble and hey, a few extra HP wouldn't hurt anyone!!
Condolences on your loss!

What do you want achieve? Have you been driving the car? If you have owned it for a while and are familiar with it that's one thing. If it's fresh in the stable you might want to run it for a summer and see what you want changed.
What's your budget vs expectations???
Is the current engine fresh or worn out?

You can bolt on louder mufflers to make more noise and spin the tires cheaper then doing the same thing with a mega dollar crate motor.

This sounds like fun story in the making!
c1nicole (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Your plan is exactly the same as mine, with what looks like the same car as mine. Leave the cosmetics for last and concentrate on making it roadworthy. Start with one underneath section at a time, working from the front to the back. That way you can drive the car in between down times and retain your enthusiasm for the project. You really need to decide now if you are going to upgrade (modify) or restore (repair) anything that is original. That 427 can make over 500 lbs-ft of low-end torque with just a few internal modifications. Few people ever rev big blocks over 5000 rpm to achieve those big hp numbers.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 08-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.
c1nicole (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Condolences on your loss!

What do you want achieve? Have you been driving the car? If you have owned it for a while and are familiar with it that's one thing. If it's fresh in the stable you might want to run it for a summer and see what you want changed.
What's your budget vs expectations???
Is the current engine fresh or worn out?

You can bolt on louder mufflers to make more noise and spin the tires cheaper then doing the same thing with a mega dollar crate motor.

This sounds like fun story in the making!
John,

Thank you for the condolences, we were very close and it's a void that will NEVER be filled!! I have been driving her as a fair weather driver. We purchased it in Feb, 2008. She was sitting in someones living room, yes, I said LIVING ROOM" She does pretty darn good for an original "old girl" and is very enjoyable to drive. She leaks worse than an un-milked cow, so I have to dump a lot of about every type of fluid into her constantly. Also have quite the collection of tin dishes under her collecting the ever present red, brown and yellow drips! I have $20K to put in her at this point, hoping that will cover most of the mechanical. (wishful thinking? ) I plan to tackle as much of the interior and body as possible, at a later date, so hopefully I will save some $$ there. Also have access to a restoration shop my dad worked in, so that access will be very helpful. The budget question makes me cringe! It is intimidating to read threads on here where people get $60K into a restoration and still don't have a completed project. I would prefer to get advice and learn from others mistakes to avoid being in that situation. Joe Loomis did an initial exam on her and said she was in very good shape. Of course all the rubbers/gaskets/lines are deteriorated, but her bones are good and no apparent concerning rust. We had a 2008 Corvette a few years back, and nothing against the newer models, but there is nothing like the driving experience with that BB under me!! Ready to get the engine purring, rumbling side pipes on and start spending more time enjoying her, than topping off fluid and cleaning up leaks! Life is too short!
SS327 (04-09-2024)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

In your opinion, what are the benefits of putting a crate engine in as opposed to reworking cams, headers, exhaust etc on the original 427? I want her to look as original as possible, shake the ground with a deep throaty grumble and hey, a few extra HP wouldn't hurt anyone!!
Ok...so much of it will depend on how much value you place on the original driveline parts.

Some people do not give a hoot about the original engine while others will FREAK OUT if anything is not done to facotry standards and everything other way in between.

Some opt to SAVE the original engine and put in a crate engine so if they are out 'spanking it' and hurt something...their precious original is still safe and sound at home....all greased up and preserved.

Some people rebuild the original because they can not live with someone telling them that they RUINED their Corvette by putting another engine in it and they SHOULD have rebuilt the engine. So..it will depend on if you allow peoples comments to effect you or not. I myself...do not give a crap what people think of what I got or how I did what I did. I was always told by my parents..."It is not your problem to worry about what other people think of you.....because no matter how hard you try...you can not please everyone...so PLEASE yourself".

I can 'say' that many of my customers who rebuild the original are so paranoid that they are going to ruin the factory engine...or something might happen to it...they really seem not to fully enjoy it. While others will 'light up the tires' and not break a sweat in doing it.

COSTS...not knowing how much the original engine may cost and how far you want to take it using QUALITY good parts....it could EASILY cost a lot more to rebuild the original engine verses putting in some awesome crate engine. Also if you get into your original engine...upgrading the valve train to roller rockers and roller lifters can help it out also....because that is basically what just about every engine out there today has to get free horsepower.....versus the scrub-happy flat tappet lifters that your engine has now. And I am NOT 'saying' that flat tappet lifers will not work.,..but that design has been changed for a long time and is proven to be a benefit..

I deal with customers who have to make decision like this and I honestly do not have preference and let them know that when they ask me. It is all up to what you want to do.

DUB
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I too am sorry for your loss. I lost my father back in 2010, and I still miss him every day.

As far as deciding on either upgrading your original engine or maybe a new one. I had to make that decision too. What help make the decision to go with a new "crate" engine was my Vette was going through a full frame off restoration and NOTHING in my Vette is number matching

Long story, I share it later.

My new engine is a small block, 400ci/414hp/490tq. It was built and dyno tested by an engine builder in SC. They have built over 60,000 engines! If you like I can PM their info since they are not a Forum supporter.

There are other engine builders near you that would do a great job too.

A photo of my Vette's going through her restoration.

Good Luck!!!
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by 1974CorvetteJimCr:
c1nicole (08-25-2016), Primoz (10-28-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:57 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

She just had to go out tonight! The skies were threatening storms, but we made it out to Pops on route 66 in Arcadia Oklahoma. Even better, back home before a drop of rain fell!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by c1nicole:
1974CorvetteJimCr (08-25-2016), DUB (08-26-2016), Pegan2261 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Alright a photo! I'd be inclined to have your guy pull the motor to see it's condition and do a cost comparision to freshen the bearings, rings, heads & cam and reseal vs a crate motor.
c1nicole (08-26-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

With the help of my son, we finally got the engine and tranny out. My very first engine removal ever! I may be being a little dramatic here, but as that 500+lb mass of metal and grease cleared the engine bay (without traumatizing the body), I did a happy dance in my head, but ONLY in my head because I feared if I moved anything too quickly, the massive blob of metal would surely come crashing down. Now what? Sending the tranny off for rebuild and deciding what all to do to the engine. :o) While they are gone, I will be prepping and painting the engine compartment. This is happening!!

Last edited by c1nicole; 10-19-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration journey begins!!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:52 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

sorry to hear about your dad, yes it can be expensive, just take your time and do what is needed. you can get to the end in different ways, which way you good is your choice. good luck and I will be watching.
we like pictures
c1nicole (02-15-2020)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Thanks Blue! Doing this project makes me feel closer to Dad. I'm sure he is getting a few good belly laughs watching a novice attempt this project. I will be uploading pics soon. We were so tired and dirty after hitting it for 6 hours, I did't take any final pictures. Just bagging and tagging as much as possible.

Last edited by c1nicole; 10-19-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Condolences on you Dad. Mine was not so interested - wrote a poem (I need to find it), calling it a Plastic Bobble.

Congrats on your undertaking, I trust it will be most rewarding, esp working with your Son, an extension of your partnership.

Question on leaks - all engine related?

Oh, photos. They are a "Must have, no exceptions."

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 10-19-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Restoration journey begins!!