Sponsored by:

2015 C7 windshield cracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM
mountainc7
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 C7 windshield cracks

Purchased 2015 C7 6/2016. Found a crack in upper left corner (drivers side) of windshield on inside glass layer. Dealer had Safelight replace, all is OK. Placed car in storage 1st of Dec '16, Just brought car out of storage, found crack in windshield in same spot. Dealer has no explanations, Safelite is "researching the problem". Is this a common occurrence to have 2 cracked windshields in less than 10 months! My old C5 convertible didn't have these issues. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:46 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainc7
Purchased 2015 C7 6/2016. Found a crack in upper left corner (drivers side) of windshield on inside glass layer. Dealer had Safelight replace, all is OK. Placed car in storage 1st of Dec '16, Just brought car out of storage, found crack in windshield in same spot. Dealer has no explanations, Safelite is "researching the problem". Is this a common occurrence to have 2 cracked windshields in less than 10 months! My old C5 convertible didn't have these issues. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Yes. Unfortunately somthing to do with a but in the surrounding are. Do a forum search. It will come up..Ahhhhhh GM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, at least you know for sure Safelite gave you an OEM windshield.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Something hard is touching the glass and cracking it, maybe a rough seam that needed to be ground down, and wasn't at the factory. If the glass touches anything hard it will crack it eventually. Have them inspect the area closely before they put the next one in.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Mountainc7,

I had a crack on the passenger's side upper RIGHT corner on the inside. Dealer immediately recognized the problem and replaced it under warranty. A third party contractor replaced it within a week.

The third PC also stated it was a weld not properly ground before installation at the factory.

My car was about 10 months old and I was amazed how much debris, i.e., chips, nicks, rash the car picks up in a relatively short period of time. The good thing is you're getting a new windshield and your visibility will be like new.

Semper Fi
Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 PM
mountainc7
5th Gear

Talked to dealerships today, 5/23/17 and they are denying any responsibility or liability for crack in replacement windshield they had installed 6/16. They claim that since GM has not acknowledged there this a design or manufacturing problem, there is nothing they can do for me. So I'm on my own in getting the windshield replaced and problem resolved. What a crock!​​​​​​
Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

This is actually somewhat common. Definitely a GM problem, but why own up the problem when the owner of the car can pay for it instead of the dealer or GM?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:57 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Aren't you still under the bumper to bumper warranty?

Last edited by GTFD2; 05-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:17 PM
mountainc7
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Aren't you still under the bumper to bumper warranty?
Dealer told me glass only had a 12 month, 12k mile warranty. They also said that since my vehicle did not have the original GM windshield, it would not be cobered. They didn't care that they had the original w/s replaced by Safelite.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

If they don't fix the problem with the welding slag you're just gonna keep having to replace the windshield. I'm sure the dealer knows the problem problem as does Safelight, so you either pay or go squeaky wheel. Windshields are expensive. If you gotta pay, I'd take it to a mom and pop windshield place that's not big corporate where they will be willing to grind off the slag so it doesn't keep happening. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

I might ask to talk to a district rep. on this. It seems hey did not take care of the underlying problem and that is why it cracked again. There have been many reports on her about windshields cracking in the identical area as yours.This is a issue that GM is well aware of. Your dealer has to go to bat for you and get GM to warranty this.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM
17535sjnr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My windshield has a 3 inch crack on the inner glass at the top of the driver's side. No impact marks. Called my dealer and they said it was not within warranty and would not cover it. I mentioned the numerous complaints about this issue in this location. They suggested calling customer care. Has anyone tried this and were you successful in getting it fixed?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by 17535sjnr
My windshield has a 3 inch crack on the inner glass at the top of the driver's side. No impact marks. Called my dealer and they said it was not within warranty and would not cover it. I mentioned the numerous complaints about this issue in this location. They suggested calling customer care. Has anyone tried this and were you successful in getting it fixed?
Mine was replaced under warranty no questions asked. It is not an uncommon issue. If your general car warranty is still in effect you are golden.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

The tech inspector at the NCM HPDE at VIR on 24 June told me i had a 10-inch long crack in the driver's side windshield. I had never noticed it. Since it was in the tinted area about 2 inches from and parallel to the roof line, the tech inspector told me "no problem". If it had been lower than the tinted area, I would've failed tech inspection!! I took the car to the Chevrolet dealership, who inspected it for rock strikes or some clear reason for the long crack. There was no evidence of anything striking the windshield. Since I am out of warranty, they said they'd split the cost with me.

The crack could've occurred a long time ago.

Last edited by arturox2; 07-07-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Try another dealer, mine was replaced by dealer under warranty!!!!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

OP, my crack was in the same location and the dealer replaced my windshield under warranty no questions asked. That's been 2 years ago and no reoccurrence. Try another dealer.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:32 AM
17535sjnr
Advanced

Default Cracked interior windshield glass

I called customer care and they just circled back to the dealership. Another member of our Corvette club has an identical crack on his windshield and his car is a 2016. Both are 3-4 inches long, in the upper corner on the driver's side. If I overlaid the photos of each car you would not be able to distinguish the difference. Both are cracks on the interior layer of glass only. The outer layer is not cracked. He has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty so he believes his will be replaced at no cost. I am unwilling to take it to a dealership just to have them charge me for what is clearly a defect in manufacturing. Is anyone keeping a log of these problems similar to what was done with the torque converters?

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 windshield cracks

Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

This is a known issue. Mine has been replaced twice all under warranty. Had to do with the locator tabs that locate the windshield when it is installed on the assembly line. Recommendation from GM was to cut off the tabs when installing by hand. It has nothing to do with temps, speed or loads of any kind. Warranty job.
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM
17535sjnr
Advanced

Thank you. Was there a bulletin issued from GM on this? It always helps to be prepared.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:43 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Thank you. Was there a bulletin issued from GM on this? It always helps to be prepared.
I don't believe there was. But they replaced mine no questions asked. By the second time around they had figured out it was the tabs creating the problem. If the tab was out of place when they inserted the windshield it could cause the issue.

Quick Reply: 2015 C7 windshield cracks