C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vats

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:22 AM
1986TPIred
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vats

Well I,m back. I got the 86 to crank over but it will not start. The SECURITY light flashes while trying to start the car. The SECURITY light also flashes when the doors are open. Is the alarm tied into the VATS system? I got a lot of usefull information with my last post. Hopefully you guys can continue to lead me in the right direction.
Thank You.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:13 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986TPIred
Well I,m back. I got the 86 to crank over but it will not start. The SECURITY light flashes while trying to start the car. The SECURITY light also flashes when the doors are open. Is the alarm tied into the VATS system? I got a lot of usefull information with my last post. Hopefully you guys can continue to lead me in the right direction.
Thank You.
If the car cranks chances are it's not the VATS. The VATS disables the starter and injectors.

Last edited by jimmers; 05-25-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

3 basics required for starting: air, fuel and spark. You need to find out if you have injectors firing along with the others. Now's the time to refer to your FSM for what to test and how.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Are there any SES codes?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986TPIred
Thank You.
The SECURITY light is controlled by the TDS (Theft Deterrent System) -- the one that honks the horn if the door is opened. There is no connection to VATS.

Start with the basics -- fuel and spark. Do you have fuel pressure? Does the the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn on the ignition? Have you done a spark test to see if there are some?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM
1986TPIred
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I finally found the "no spark' problem. It was a NEW part from NAPA that I installed in the distributor. The small harness with the condenser in it that goes from the module to the distributor cap. When the part was manufactured they did not strip the wire before crimping the female lug on the wire where it plugs on the module. I stripped the wire and put on a new lug and guess what, fired right up. Thanks again for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Vats

Quick Reply: Vats