C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Distributor Shaft a piece of junk!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default New Distributor Shaft a piece of junk!

Hi, most of you know that I do a lot of my own repairs. I have a post on rebuilding my distributor going on right now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oblemssss.html

I had ordered from a major vendor a new SHP shaft for my 66 L-79.

I have spent thousands of dollars with them. Their customer service has been great , but I have noticed that they are getting more and more of their products from one major supplier.....quality control seems non existent .

This shaft was the last straw. The following pictures show the new shaft and my old shaft (4 years old) .

Welds poor, weld material left on posts...piece of junk !

Would you put this shaft in your car? Think I would get a good timing curve? lol lol

Jack
Attached Images     

Last edited by Jackfit; 06-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You can send it back, get a different one elsewhere or grind it down and hope there is enough 'meat' that the weld holds.

To wit, NO I would not install it in my car Jack...if you are within driving range of the vendor you might take it there and, locate a company representative, and stick it elsewhere though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-15-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

the original GM shafts were copper brazed in a hydrogen atmosphere oven.. if the welds don't interfere with the fit of the other parts it should work

Last edited by PAmotorman; 06-15-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Someone please tell me how there could not be interference. If the center mess doesn't screw things up then the gob of metal on the left hand pin at the bottom certainly will. Its damned sloppy work.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-15-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For what it's worth, I bought 2 distributor shafts from Paragon over the last 2-3 years and they were of good quality. Not sure what vendor yours came from.

Quality on repro parts seems to be getting worse all the time, and it was mostly poor to begin with. With my manufacturing background, I've thought of setting up to make a lot of the parts I've bought over the years because I know I can do it better. Sadly, everything goes to cost over time, and we all know China and India always win on direct cost.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
the original GM shafts were copper brazed in a hydrogen atmosphere oven.. if the welds don't interfere with the fit of the other parts it should work
Why would I even try to use it, when I can get a quality part at the same price?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can send it back, get a different one elsewhere or grind it down and hope there is enough 'meat' that the weld holds.

To wit, NO I would not install it in my car Jack...if you are within driving range of the vendor you might take it there and, locate a company representative, and stick it elsewhere though...
Hi Frankie,

They will take it back, not a problem. Selling it in the first place is the problem!

Makes no sense , since I can buy a quality part at same price....silly company policy....happens as they get more automated, as no one looks at the product before it is shipped or received in inventory.

The box the shaft came in, had three different labels pasted over each other showing different companies....lol

Last edited by Jackfit; 06-15-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That's good. I could just see some naive noobie installing that POS in their car then coming on her complaining about crap performance when he just changed the distributor, points, rotor, plug wires, cap, etc.. Mystified and telling everybody how difficult and unreliable these cars are. All because of a shoddy bit of worksmanship.
Companies that send out this junk don't realize it eventually hits their bottom line..

[/rant]
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The Boc

That's good. I could just see some naive noobie installing that POS in their car then coming on her complaining about crap performance when he just changed the distributor, points, rotor, plug wires, cap, etc.. Mystified and telling everybody how difficult and unreliable these cars are. All because of a shoddy bit of worksmanship.
Companies that send out this junk don't realize it eventually hits their bottom line..

[/rant]
The box
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Somebody needs to talk to Becky about "alternate career opportunities"...
Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

[/rant]
Good point, but it will never happen. All the newbies I've seen have always, always used 'upgraded' aftermarket electronic ignitions and have gone down the many rabbit holes that that particular modification had opened up for them. Only the seasoned, hardened, jaded old-timers can seem to get them to work properly!!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,339 Posts

The X2113 distributor shaft is a part that is being made by Corvette America, or more correctly, is a part that they're having made. I've bought 5 or 6 of them, but never got one that looked like yours?

What I find interesting is the vendor who sold it to you, lists it as the 62-74 hi-po shaft, but Corvette America sells it as the base shaft.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Jack may need to source his parts a little closer to home..........like maybe New York.

Larry
Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The X2113 distributor shaft is a part that is being made by Corvette America, or more correctly, is a part that they're having made. I've bought 5 or 6 of them, but never got one that looked like yours?

What I find interesting is the vendor who sold it to you, lists it as the 62-74 hi-po shaft, but Corvette America sells it as the base shaft.
Good reason to send it back, but the point is, lack of quality control and inhouse knowledge.

Jack
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by powershift
jack may need to source his parts a little closer to home..........like maybe new york. :d

larry
lic.......,
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Somebody needs to talk to Becky about "alternate career opportunities"...
Somebody needs to talk Becky's SUPERVISOR about "alternate career opportunities though, it will probably do no good.

Gary
Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just rebuilt this distributor for someone with a 71 Vette.
The shaft I installed looks similar to yours and after the rebuild I was able to set the curve and it ran up to 5000 RPM on my machine with no problems.
He installed it in his car and said the car never ran better.
The weld does not interfere with anything.
Joe

The following users liked this post:
tfringo (12-17-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To New Distributor Shaft a piece of junk!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Jack's might work, I still say its a pretty sorry looking affair...
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
I just rebuilt this distributor for someone with a 71 Vette.
The shaft I installed looks similar to yours and after the rebuild I was able to set the curve and it ran up to 5000 RPM on my machine with no problems.
He installed it in his car and said the car never ran better.
The weld does not interfere with anything.
Joe

never use that plastic advance limiter as they can fall off. if you do track days I have seen that detonate a engine when it fell off. if the pin has a groove on the bottom of the pin use a external snap ring to hold it in place.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
never use that plastic advance limiter as they can fall off. if you do track days I have seen that detonate a engine when it fell off. if the pin has a groove on the bottom of the pin use a external snap ring to hold it in place.
But, will add to that. Do not to use anything but a BRASS advance limiter. Pin or no pin that plastic is going to degrade over time due to heat exposure.

Gary

Quick Reply: New Distributor Shaft a piece of junk!