C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Header/X-Pipe/Exhaust Combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Best Header/X-Pipe/Exhaust Combo

So I'm thinking of doing some power mods to the car. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the best combo is.

I see setups like full long tube headers with an exhaust system. Mid length headers with x pipe and exhaust system. Just an x pipe. Just an exhaust. Just headers.

What I'm trying trying to figure out what is the best route. Right now the car has NPP exhaust. How is that when adding headers and x pipe? Would a Borla or Corsa be better? Is the exhaust to restrictive? Is it better to go full length headers right up to NPP or should I go mid length headers with x pipe to exhaust.

Some ideas and input would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Thuggishcoot42 (01-21-2020)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM
pocketrocket
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
So I'm thinking of doing some power mods to the car. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the best combo is.

I see setups like full long tube headers with an exhaust system. Mid length headers with x pipe and exhaust system. Just an x pipe. Just an exhaust. Just headers.

What I'm trying trying to figure out what is the best route. Right now the car has NPP exhaust. How is that when adding headers and x pipe? Would a Borla or Corsa be better? Is the exhaust to restrictive? Is it better to go full length headers right up to NPP or should I go mid length headers with x pipe to exhaust.

Some ideas and input would be appreciated.
All good questions. Check out American Racing Headers website and if you have more questions call them. They are very helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by pocketrocket:
funx600 (08-02-2017), Thuggishcoot42 (01-21-2020)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Full long tubes with catless x-pipe. Keep your NPP exhaust.

My 2 shekels.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm just looking for an x pipe at this point or was wondering if you can gyt the stock pipe so subscribing to this thread.

I just got the car so I'll be reading all the posts I can find here first but wouldn't mind hearing the answer early. Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I guess my question is, (example) is it better to buy an entire LT header setup from Kooks and attach it to the NPP OR is is better to buy lets say ARH mid length, Borla X-Pipe, and hook it to NPP. Or is it basically a wash. Is either setup cheaper? I see full length headers going for $1800+. Is the NPP restrictive? Would I get more gains with a Borla exhaust?
Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM
BuckeyeNation
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tsp

Originally Posted by bigsapper

My 2 shekels.
Correct! There are a lot of choices but go with a full longtube system. Off road/Cattless mids and keep your npp. I have the Texas speed with catless and npp. Car sounds amazing at wot. No need to worry about which system is better, they are all really good with the exception on some of the eBay off brands. Lastly, catless will emit a gas smell so you gotta think about that. It is only a minor issue in my book compared to the glorious sounds. But to each it's own.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Do you plan to tune the car to wring out all available horsepower from the header mod, if you were to add headers?

I went with Kooks long tubes + their green cats + Kooks x-pipe dumping into my stock NPP mufflers. The fit and finish is great. The cars sound perfect to me. I don't smell like gas/exhaust fumes when I'm done driving it (thanks to the cats). I didn't have to tune out a CEL because the green cats prevent a CEL. I didn't want to tune it due to it being a high risk of warranty rejection (my opinion). I will tune it once the warranty has expired. I really only wanted the headers/high flow cats for improved exhaust sound. So it really depends on what your end goal is.

You really can't go wrong with the Kooks, ARH, Texas Speed (Chinese made if that matters), and a few other popular brands out there. I think ARH now offers the green cats too, so I would likely have gone with them, had they offered them when I was shopping. With that said, I have no regrets with the Kooks.

On edit: Not my video, but is from a member on this forum giving a nice comparison of the Kooks catted vs non-catted system. Personally, from the video, I can't tell a big difference in sound, but have to believe that the catless would be a little bit louder, but doesn't sound like it's a night and day difference between the two.

Last edited by lakemg; 07-29-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Surprised, like the sound of the cats better still can hear that deep guttural sound of the intake. Was raised on double pumpers though...either one sound tough at the end of the day.
OP just about any long tube header/exh is going to be fine there isnt really much difference other than tone which is usually mufflers.

Last edited by cv67; 08-01-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by bigsapper

My 2 shekels.

Any major brand of headers will do. Kooks, ARH, Billy Boat....
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I went with ARH mid length with the high flow cats, catless Borla x-pipe and B & B bullets with the NPP deleted. I had the car tuned (didn't really want to but I added a Halltech cai so the cel came up)and deleted and removed the AFM valves as well. Sounds great and not too loud unless you floor it.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Header/X-Pipe/Exhaust Combo

Quick Reply: Best Header/X-Pipe/Exhaust Combo